chapter 8 review

  • gallandro_83
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      All right I am sorry this has taken so long but the last week has
      been killer.

      I wanted to say how nice it is to get a new chapter and I hope that
      chapter 9 is still on schedule. I am sorry this hasn't been getting
      many reviews I can't understand it.

      I wanted to say that I was a little surprised you had Harry down and
      out for a week.

      Probably the most shocking thing to me at least was how little
      effect Harry's revelations about his past were. I mean did
      Dumbledoor not get the fact about him surviving the killing curse or
      what. OR did the revelation not come as a surprise since he got away
      from Voldemort without any help.

      I was also a little bit surprised that Harry hasn't been able to
      remember more about any of the different things he now konws. I mean
      supposedly he came up with the spell baton and he had some other
      pretty extensive training. Will the new training he gets bring more
      bad memories to the surface or will it help to exert his own
      personality?

      I can't wait to see more of his training expecially with Flamel and
      I also want to see the new history and divintation Professors.

      here's to the next chapter.

      gallandro_83
    • mintwise
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        I agree, chapter 8 was a bit surprising. Nothing against a bit of
        quiet story developing, it would have been odd to have a lot of action
        with Harry out of the game as he is. Progress has been made as Harry
        seems to have developed a slightly different policy about the people
        in this new world and his own behaviour towards them is changing. The
        attempt at his rehabilitation has started. Not looking good so far.

        Now personally, I am curious how Lily knows where people are. I don't
        suppose she has the Marauders' Map. After all, James does not seem to
        share his escapades with her. He and Rose avoid secret passages around
        her.

        Now, the thing about Harry surviving the killing curse. Firstly,
        Dumbledore does not usually show his reactions openly and is quite
        good at masking his feelings. And secondly, it probably was not much
        of a surprise to him. The man is supposed to be quite cunning and
        since he first talked to Harry, many hints at the truth have been
        dropped. With a bit of deduction, he must have guessed something along
        those lines. He must have spent a lot of time pondering the origin of
        the scar as he had an interest in it from the start. Also, to someone
        who has listened to every hint Harry dropped and seen his reaction to
        seeing the man when he burst into the order meeting, most of the facts
        about Sirius and his fate should not have been surprising, except the
        Azkaban part.

        Harry's personality. Ah, well, I can't wait to see what part the other
        Harry is going to play.

        I have a feeling the plot is going to get more complicated soon.

        Oh, and something I have been sitting on for a while: To anyone who
        thinks Dumbledore is a coldly calculating manipulator, read this:

        "Do you see, Harry? Do you see the flaw in my brilliant plan now? I
        had fallen into the trap I had foreseen, that I had told myself I
        could avoid, that I must avoid. (...) I cared about you too
        much,(...)I cared more for your happiness than my plan, more for your
        life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed. (...) I
        defy anyone who has watched you as closely as I have(...) not to want
        to save you more pain than you had already suffered. (...)What did I
        care if numbers of nameless and faceless people and creatures were
        slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were
        alive, and well, and happy?(...)"
        Dumbledore in OotP, p.739 in the Bloomsbury version, giving the reason
        why he did not tell Harry about the prophecy after the events of his
        various scool years.

        Waiting for the next chapter in eager anticipation, as usual. It's
        great to know that it won't be a month this time.