View from Canada

  • raxlrules
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2006
      From: "Joanna Desmond"
      Date: Tue Sep 7, 2004 1:24pm

      I am so jealous of those Canadian viewers!

      Dear Joanna,
      Dear strangers in paradise,

      As one of those lucky Canadian viewers, i'm watching SP for the first
      time and I love it!!

      I was a toddler when Strange Paradise originally aired. An advert on
      Drive-In Classics in 2004 caught my attention, as something i might be
      interested in viewing. I had an interest in programs with foreboding
      themes, especially if they involved castles or mansions. There was
      also something about that man's voice, that man on his island
      declaring that he was God! Somehow, somewhere, i imagined i'd heard
      his marvelous voice before...
      Unfortunately i was distracted by life's worries, and it wasn't until
      late 2005 that i remembered to tune in and listen. Luckily, Drive-In
      was airing SP a second time. The scene was Desmond Hall and i
      soon became intrigued by the characters and the evil goings-on. The
      atmosphere of the series was very interesting - and little things,
      like the way Cort spoke his mind or Raxl's warnings of doom, kept me
      glued for each half-hour. Sometimes i would catch the repeat at 6 AM
      just to see details i'd missed. Or to witness Colin Fox's amazing
      'glare', just one more time!
      Now it is 2006 and i'm getting to see Strange Paradise from the
      beginning :) The storyline is different, Holly is suddenly using 60's
      language and thunder is rumbling across the caribbean. Safe to say
      this series is my favourite 'new show'. I'm sooo lucky Drive-In is
      running it for a third time.
      Searching the internet for more info, i found your wonderful group. I
      was pleased to discover there were over 900 messages and began reading
      them. I must say what i read moved me. Your heartfelt messages are a
      testament to the struggle to bring back a series that was forgotten,
      yet still cherished :)

      This evenings' episode is number 11 and I'm recording it. I didn't
      stop to think this may be our last chance to capture Strange Paradise
      for the future. When this group was founded, dvd recorders were
      uncommon. If a digital copy can help a stranger in need of paradise,
      then I'm happy to help.

      Bob