Paradise fiction

  • Debby Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      Chapter 6 Paradise continued

      Phillip runs into the mansion screaming Jean Paul's name. Jean Paul
      comes running down the stairs.

      "Jean Paul, I tried burning the Totem, my Guardian Spirit has left
      me." Phillip slides down the door, hanging his head in misery.

      "Cousin, why would burn it?"

      "I was calling on Orendo to protect us when that deman forced me.
      Jean Paul, I don't think we have any hope."

      "Phillip, please go up to your room. Maybe things will look better
      in the morning." Jean Paul tells him.

      Emily comes down the stairs. "Jean Paul what's wrong?" She sees
      Phillip sitting on the floor.

      "Emily could you accompany Phillip to his room." He reaches down
      and helps Phillip to his feet. Emily takes his arm and walks up the
      stairs with him.

      Jean Paul heads to the portrait. "Does't your evil ever end? What
      do you want from us? Answer me!"

      "Only your full cooperation without any interference." Jacques

      "Cooperation for what?"

      "You stopped the Mark Of Death, But by controling you and your
      cousin, I will take your cousin's soul. Life will be given to me
      in physical form. I will have the power that my master bestowed on
      me to use in your world. "

      "No! Jacques, I warn you, we will find a way to stop you!"

      "Go ahead and try Jean Paul Desmond, but do not forget you and I are
      linked. What happens to me also happens to you."

      "I was a fool for releasing you!"

      "But think how boring your life would have been without me. No go
      to bed, you tire me."

      Jean Paul turns and slowly walks up the stairs.

      Phillip is tossing and turning in his sleep. In his dream he has
      his hands around Irene Hatter's throat. Jean Paul stops him and
      sends him inside Desmond Hall. The dream makes him see more
      images, a star, a strange mark on his hand, being locked in a room
      and being guarded by Raxl, sometimes Jean Paul. A portrait that
      laughs at him, now he sees himself strangle a young blonde girl in a
      bedroom. He sees himself, Jean Paul and Cort holding hands in front
      of the portrait. The images come faster. Putting ashes on the
      portraits mouth , and eyes then flashing to Jean Paul laying dead
      on his bed. Emily and himself seeing Jean Paul step from the
      portrait. More images follow. Phillip opens his eyes, it's morning
      and clutched in his hand is his Totem.
      "Thank you Orendo, you have come back to me with all the answers."
      Phillip leaves his room and knocks on Jean Paul's door.

      Jean Paul answers it. "Yes Phillip, what is it?"

      "Cousin, my memory of Desmond Hall has come back to me."

      "Do you know what will stop our ancestor?" Jean Paul asks.

      "No, but it has something to do with time."

      "Time?" Jean Paul asks.

      "Yes, one of the books in your brother's secret room mentioned
      stopping time. Making it go forward or backward." Phillip answers.

      "I don't know how that would help." Jean Paul tells him.

      "I don't know, but in my dream, the book opened to that page."

      "Has Emily brought any notes from Desmond Hall from her research?"
      Jean Paul asks.

      "Yes I think so." Phillip tells him. They both leave the room and
      go to Emily's door. Jean Paul knocks.

      "Jean Paul, Phillip what's wrong?"

      "Do you have any notes with you from the books at Desmond Hall?"
      Phillip asks her.

      "Yes, What are you looking for?" Emily asks.

      "Phillip mentioned seeing a book in his dreams about clocks and
      time Phillip has remembered everything that happened at Desmond
      Hall. Like you, it came back in a dream." Jean Paul tells her.

      Emily turns around and opens a case with files of notes. She dumps
      them on the bed and the three of them start looking through them.

      "I found something." Phillip says. Emily and Jean Paul crowd
      around him. "It says, In the tower at the Great House at Fort
      Desmond there is a clock that is supposed to control time. Time can
      move backward, forward or stop. Only a Desmond can retrieve it."

      "There is no way we can leave, Jacques will not allow it even if we
      decided to get the clock." Jean Paul tells them.

      "There might be one way." Phillip pulls out the Totem and with
      both hands holds it above him..":Orendo, my Guardian Spirit, once
      you gave your protection to Jean Paul Desmond and his cousin Cort
      Desmond. We ask for your help again. Send a message to Cort to
      retrieve a clock at Fort Desmond, a clock that will end our
      suffering." He lowers the Totem and it fades away from his hands.

      "Phillip you had the Totem, I thought you said you burned it." Jean
      Paul asks.

      "Burned it?" Emily questions.

      "It left, then came back, Orendo didn't desert us. He gave us the
      answers we needed." Phillip tells them.

      "When you called on Orendo you wanted Cort to get the clock." Jean
      Paul said. "How?"

      "Cort is already at Fort Desmond, Ada sent him to check on storm
      damage in that area." Phillip answers.

      "I'll send Quito each day for mail pickup, hopefully it will
      arrive. Does it say how the clock works?" Jean Paul asks.

      "No, there is nothing else. The book only mentioned the clock."
      Emily tells them.

      "I guess we just have to wait." Jean Paul says.

      Two days later Quito arrives with a large wooden crate, about six
      feet long and four feet wide. In his room the Totem appears back on
      Phillip's dresser . Phillip picks it up and heads to the dock with
      Jean Paul. Jean Paul, Phillip and Quito carry the crate into the
      house and down to the crypt. Jean Paul finds a hammer and works on
      the lid. Inside is a dark maple Grandfather clock. The three men
      stand it up and Emily joins them.
      "You may go now Quito." Jean Paul tells him. Quito nods and goes
      up the stairs.

      "Well, what should we do now?" Jean Paul asks while looking at the

      "Jean Paul Desmond, Phillip Des Mondes come to me. I command you to
      come to me!" Jacques voice echoes through the room. Phillip starts
      to shake.

      "Phillip, fight him!" Jean Paul yells.

      "Jean Paul Desmond through our pact I command you to come to me!"
      Jacques demands.

      In a trance Jean Paul and Phillip turn and walk toward the stairs.
      Emily runs and grabs Jean Paul's arm. "Jean Paul, no!"
      Jean Paul pulls his arm free of Emily's hold. Emily steps in front
      of Phillip. " Phillip stop, don't go to him!" Phillip steps around
      her, Jean Paul and Phillip continue up the stairs and go to the

      "Jean Paul, raise your head and look into my eyes." Jacques tells
      him. As Jean Paul obeys Jacues takes control of him.. He turns to

      Phillip comes out ot the trance.

      "If you want to keep Emily from death you will forsake your God and
      promise your soul to my master for all eternity." Jean Paul tells

      "Jean Paul, what are you saying."Phillip asks.

      "Jean Paul is no longer here, I am Jacques Eloi Des Mondes. With
      this dagger your dear Emily will die." Jacques draws the black
      pearl handle dagger from a sheath.

      Phillip tries to step forward but he can not move. Jean Paul's body
      turns and starts toward the stairs for the crypt.
      "Jean Paul, no!" Phillip cries Jacques keeps walking. "All
      right! All right! I will agree."

      Jacques turns back to Phillip. Phillip is able to move.

      "Take your Totem and lay it on the floor at the bottom of my
      portrait." Jacques tells him. Phillip does as he is told.

      Back in the crypt, Emily runs to the clock. It's not running and
      Emily has no idea of what to do.
      "David! David if you can hear me your brother and his cousin are in
      danger. They need you now!"

      David's form starts shimmering then materializes in solid form.

      "David , Jean Paul and Phillip are upstairs, we got the clock but
      they were forced to leave. Please help them!" Emily says to David.

      "Emily stay here with the clock, when it starts ticking you must
      push the hands backwards."

      David runs up the stairs.

      Phillip is standing in front of the portrait with his eyes looking
      into the portrait's eyes. "Orendo, I know longer recognize you as
      my Guardian Spirit. I reject you in the name of Lucifer!"

      "Phillip stop!" David yells.
      Phillip spins around and Jacques turns.

      "Well, well, well if it isn't the guardian of mankind. You have no
      power here. Leave in the name of my master." Jacques tells him.

      "You are wrong Jacques Eloi Des Mondes. My brothers forgiveness of
      me has brought his memory of your past evil back. He and Jean Paul
      have the means of stopping you."

      "Jean Paul and I are one and your brother will soon join us."
      Jacques tells him.

      "No." David raises his hands out to his sides, palms
      outward. "Jacques Eloi Des Mondes I command you to leave this body
      and go back to where you belong!" David's voice is louder.

      Jean Paul shudder and he looks at David. " Phillip bring your
      Totem to me. Jean Paul go and stand in front of the portrait but do
      not look into his eyes." David tells them. They quickly follow

      David raises the Totem with both hands. "Orendo, Guardian Spirit
      of my people. I call upon you to combine with my power to turn back

      Wind starts picking up outside, with thunder and lightning shaking
      the mansion.

      "Do not allow the evil one to take control. I call upon all the
      power granted to me to join with this Totem." The Totem takes on a
      golden glow. "Take Jean Paul Desmond and send him back to where it
      all began. Help him correct the mistakes he made long ago."

      In the crypt the Grandfather clock's pendulum starts swinging.
      Emily reaches for the hour hand and forces it backwards.

      As Jean Paul is listening to David's chant everything goes black.

      Jean Paul notices that he is holding a glass of brandy. Raxl is
      behind him.

      "There are forces here of ancient evil, good and evil that you must
      not tempt to rise and you will. Let your poor wife rest in peace.
      Do you dare to fly in the face of God?" Raxl is speaking.

      "On this Island from this moment forward I am God" Jean Paul says.

      "Bravo." Jean Paul turns with his glass raised, he looks at the
      portrait. Raxl turns looks at the portrait then turns back to Jean
      Paul. She reaches for his wrist. "Msieu, Msieu Desmond."

      "Three hundred years apart but like me he lost a wife." Jean Paul

      "Please don't compare. Please, please." Raxl is getting upset.

      "But for a span of centuries, he and I could be the same man." Jean
      Paul tell her.

      "No, no he was the devil." Raxl tells him very upset. "And after
      what you have done!"

      "No more talk Raxl. Goodnight." Jean Paul tells her. Raxl
      leaves and goes up the staircase.

      Jean Paul turns back to the portrait. "Who are you?"

      "You heard faithful old Raxl." the portrait tells him.

      "The Devil!" Jean Paul turns walks away to stand next to the

      "Can you turn your back on him." the portrait says.

      "No! No, this is my own battle!" Jean Paul says.

      "For the want of an alli the battle could be lost. Turn. Face me.

      Jean Paul turns toward the portrait.

      "Come closer." Jean Paul walks. "Closer. Now who am I? " Jacques
      asks..Jean Paul lifts his eyes toward the portrait. "The man you
      are, the man you might have been."

      Jean Paul is transported to Jacques time. He watches as Jacques
      greets his wife, then leaving with her to the laughter of their
      guests. Then Jean Paul is back at Maljardin still holding the glass
      of brandy. He looks around the room.

      "How lovely a woman is, especially a mans own." the portrait says.
      Jean Paul turns and looks at the portrait.
      "For my life, I give you back your woman."

      "You are the devil." Jean Paul turns away.

      "He lives in every man. Find me where I lie in the tomb." The
      portait tells him. With his back to the portrait Jean Paul raises
      his glass.

      "Poor sweet Erica, poor darling suspended forever between life and
      death." the portrait tells him. Jean Paul turns and rushes away.

      "Find me where I lie in the tomb. Find me!" the portrait's voice

      "No! No!" Jean Paul hurls the glass at the portrait . He turns and
      looks down, in his hand is the Totem. He hears the drum beat. "Not
      this time Jacques Eloi Des Mondes." Jean Paul says. He runs up the
      staircase to his room, on entering everything goes black.

      Jean Paul opens his eyes, sunlight is streaming through his hotel
      window. He turns his head and sees Emily asleep beside him. He
      reaches out to hold her and falls back asleep with Emily in his arms.

      The End

      Disclaimer Strange Paradise was created by Jerry Layten and Ian
      Martin This story was for entertainment only. and can not be
      sold.. .