Strange Paradise fiction

  • Debby Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      Last September Curt Ladnier wrote a short story called Paradise
      Regained. I thought the story was great but I wanted to add a
      different ending, I hope he doesn't mind.I started writing it in
      chapters,so let me know if anyone thinks its interesting enough to
      continue. Debby Graham

      Paradise Continued
      Chapter 1

      On the Island of Mariacas, seated at a corner table in the French
      Leave Cafe, a man in his early thirties was listeneng to a
      conversation
      between one of the waitresses and the bartender.

      "We could see flames from miles around that Island. but no one
      could get across to help."

      "But I heard that a boat came from the Island carrying the house
      keeper,that deaf mute and a young girl,but not the owner Jean Paul
      Desmond." replied the waitress. "They think Mr Desmond perished in
      the fire."

      The stranger rose from his table, paid his bill and headed outside
      toward the boat dock. Looking across the water he stared at the
      Island of Maljardin. Turning he headed back toward the Inn.

      In room 12 at the Inn Raxl and Holly were seated, Quito is standing
      very agitated.

      "Raxl, we just left Jean Paul in the mansion." cries Holly.

      "There was nothing for us to do Miss Holly. Quito could not get the
      doors open. I needed to get you to safety." replies Raxl.

      "Please there must be something we can do, we must go back to help
      Jean Paul."

      "No, I am sorry." says Raxl.

      There is a knock on the doorand Raxl tells Quito to go answer it.

      At the door stands the stranger. "Hello my name is David . I must
      talk with you about Mr Desmond."

      Holly and Raxl stand and look at the stranger.

      "Jean Paul Desmond is alive, he escaped when rhe mansion was ablaze
      and he collapsed outside. We must leave for the Island immediatly."

      "How do you know this?" asks Raxl.

      "There is no time to talk, we must leave now." says David.

      Raxl nods to Quito and tells Holly to stay in the room until they
      return. Raxl, Quito and David heads to the boat dock, then they
      head to Maljardin.

      Back at Maljardin after Jacques taunts Jean Paul about being brought
      back, Jean Paul slides down the wall sitting on the floor next to
      Jacques' Portrait with his head down.

      Jean Paul raises his head and shouts " I will not let it end like
      this, I will find a way to desroy the pact I made with you."

      Jacques mocking laughter is heard thru the room. "Be my guest and
      try Jean Paul Desmond, our battle shall begins again."

      Jean Paul stands and walks out the door.

      Quito drives the boat next to the burnt shell of the boat house.
      Raxl, Quito and David leave the boat and climb the cement steps
      leading to the mansion.

      Standing outside the mansion, Jean Paul hears the sound of a motor
      and heads toward the boathouse.

      On the path Raxl sees Jean Paul and runs to him touching his arm.
      "Master I thought you were trapped and killed in the mansion. We
      would never have left had I known."

      "Raxl, you are here,I thought you had been called back by Julien."

      "Called back?I don't know what you mean." Raxl remarks bewildered.

      "Never mind." Jean Paul says then notices the man walking up with
      Quito.

      "Jean Paul, my name is David Siena, I am your cousin Phillip's half
      brother. Please come with us now. I will explain when we get away
      from this Island."

      "Phillip?How does he know I am back on Maljardin?"asks Jean Paul.

      "Not now Jean Paul, we must leave now!" says David. As they head
      for the boat , thunder and lightning start shaking the Island. The
      rain starts pouring down on them, wind starts churning the water
      around the boat. (So, it starts agin Jean Paul think to himself)

      David walks to the edge of the dock and stares out at the water, the
      water becomes calmer. "Hurry, I can not hold out for long ." David
      tells them. They board the boat and head across the lagoon.

      (end of chapter 1)
    • strangeparadiselibrary
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
        Bravo, Debby! When I posted that story 5 months ago, I was hoping
        that it might inspire someone else to join in the fun and write some
        original STRANGE PARADISE fiction. I'm thrilled that you've picked
        up where I left off. As I said before, I never really intended to
        leave poor Jean Paul stuck in that horrendous situation, but I've
        yet to work on getting him out of it. Please feel free to run with
        whatever ideas you have, as I'm certainly curious to find out what
        you have in store next. And if I ever decide to write anything
        further based on my PARADISE REGAINED, I won't be restricted by your
        PARADISE CONTINUED. That's the fun thing about fan fic; each author
        can have his own vision, which doesn't necessarily match up with
        anyone else's. Actually, that sort of plays into the next piece
        I've been threatening to write for months (but haven't found the
        time to work on). Instead of a follow-up to my previous story, I've
        been inspired to plot a tale about Jacques and Maljardin back in the
        1600s - a sort of revelation of how all the horror began for the
        Desmonds, as well as an attempt to reconcile some of the plot
        elements left unresolved in the first half of the tv series. I may
        never get around to actually writing it (if life doesn't slow down a
        bit around here), but if I do I will have to wind up following your
        example and serializing it. It's just too long to tell in one
        sitting. Anyway, sorry to ramble on here. Keep up the good work
        with PARADISE CONTINUED, and give us the next chapter as soon as
        you're able. - Curt

        --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Debby Graham"
        <dnt61350@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > "Jean Paul, my name is David Siena, I am your cousin Phillip's
        half
        > brother. Please come with us now. I will explain when we get
        away
        > from this Island."
        >
        > "Phillip?How does he know I am back on Maljardin?"asks Jean Paul.
        >
        > "Not now Jean Paul, we must leave now!" says David. As they head
        > for the boat , thunder and lightning start shaking the Island.
        The
        > rain starts pouring down on them, wind starts churning the water
        > around the boat. (So, it starts agin Jean Paul think to himself)
        >
        > David walks to the edge of the dock and stares out at the water,
        the
        > water becomes calmer. "Hurry, I can not hold out for long ."
        David
        > tells them. They board the boat and head across the lagoon.

      • strangeparadiselibrary
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2006
          Hey there, Debby!
          I just finished reading the final installment of your "Paradise
          Regained" serial (sorry it took me so long to get to it), and I
          wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it. I was really
          impressed that you not only managed get Jean Paul out of that
          terrible predicament I left him in, but that you also managed to
          incorporate a real (and obscure) piece of SP mythos as a major part
          of the solution. SPOILER ALERT (read further at your own risk). As
          I was reading Chapter 6, I thought of the clock at Fort Desmond just
          about two paragraphs before you introduced it to your storyline. It
          blew me away that you remembered it (since it's only mentioned in a
          single episode of the series). I thought it was a fantastic way to
          resolve the story happily. Of course, now I'm tempted to write
          something else awful for Jean Paul, just to see if you can rescue
          him again, but I'll resist the temptation. I do, however, promise
          to at least try to write some more original fic if you'll do the
          same. Thanks for a very entertaining read. - Curt P.S. Be
          sure to keep an eye on your snail mailbox. I just sent you that
          package I promised.