Re: Desmond Hall

  • mikeatwost
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2005
      Well, it could go either way. But considering the family history (name-
      wise, the original family name was French), I would say Canadian. To
      me, Desmondton sounds like Edmonton. You also have to consider the
      number of writers (most of them were for really short-term) were
      probably not Canadian. The show's final writer, Harding Lemay, was born
      in a small U.S. town near the Canadian border. There's an interview
      Harding did for Soap Opera Digest. The link is
      http://iriswheeler.tripod.com/sodonline1997.html . But Strange Paradise
      is not mentioned in that interview.
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2005
        --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, suki_forbes <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm having an even harder time tearing myself away from the TV now.
        The
        > estate on Maljardin has burned to the ground and Jean Paul is at
        > Desmond Hall along with Holly, Raxl & Quito. I'm liking all the new
        > characters, Cort, Ada & Lazlo and Irene. Wow!
        >
        > Is Demond Hall in Canada or the US?

        In the last week of the Maljardin episodes, Jacques asks Erica if Jean
        Paul ever took her to the Great House(I believe thats how it is
        referred to) in Fort Desmond in Canada. I believe that Fort Desmond is
        the same as Desmondton (a gliche on the writers part I believe this
        was a Salverson/Chudley or Elward episode not a Crane one).

        However I seem to recall towards the end when Laslo's first wife is
        mentioned that it seemed Desmondton was an American town. I may be
        completely off though.
      • drew790
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2005
          wrote:
          > I'm having an even harder time tearing myself away from the TV now.
          The
          > estate on Maljardin has burned to the ground and Jean Paul is at
          > Desmond Hall along with Holly, Raxl & Quito. I'm liking all the new
          > characters, Cort, Ada & Lazlo and Irene. Wow!
          >
          > Is Demond Hall in Canada or the US?

          Early on in desmond hall they mentioned it was in canada

          and just wait till the real Ada shows up, you'll like her alot more!
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2006
            I know that we have debated this before, but I am currently watching
            the Desmond Hall epsiodes again and am curious - does anyone know
            where the exterior shots of Desmond Hall were taken? Everyone claims
            that it is Casa Loma also, but I fail to see the resemblance. It
            seems like a totally different structure to me. Any thoughts out
            there?