Holly Marshall and Ian Martin

  • lunatictyme
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hi, gang! I stumbled across a weird bit of trivia that I thought I'd
      share with the group. After leaving STRANGE PARADISE as head writer
      around 1970, Ian Martin continued his career as both an actor and a
      television writer. In 1974, he went on to script the cult classic
      Saturday morning series LAND OF THE LOST. I'm sure most everyone
      here is at least passingly familiar with the show, but it revolves
      around a park ranger and his family thrust back in time to the
      prehistoric era. The only female character in the group is a young
      blonde named Holly Marshall. Shades of STRANGE PARADISE? Other than
      the name Holly Marshall and the fact that Ian Martin wrote for both
      shows, there is no real connection between the two series. I'm sure
      Martin just liked the name and decided to appropriate it rather than
      create a new one when LAND OF THE LOST came along. Still, it's fun
      to acknowledge the link between the two shows, no matter how
      tenuous. Poor Holly, survives the massacre on Maljardin only to be
      whisked back in time to run from Slestaks (or whatever those monsters
      were called). In the interests of accuracy, I suppose I should
      mention that the Internet Movie Database credits a different Ian
      Martin with writing LAND OF THE LOST, one who was still working after
      SP's Martin passed away in 1981. However, I'm firmly convinced that
      the IMDb has the LotL credit attributed to the wrong man. I simply
      find it hard to believe that two men, both named Ian Martin, both
      writing for television in the early 1970s, both independently chose
      to name one of their characters Holly Marshall. Not impossible, but
      certainly highly unlikely. If anyone has any further info on Ian
      Martin's career as a writer (or actor, for that matter), I wouldn't
      mind hearing about it. We haven't discussed much regarding SP's
      production staff, and it's always cool to learn more about where our
      show came from. - Curt