Re: STRANGE PARADISE: The Riddle of Episode #3

  • lunatictyme
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
      Hello again, Strangers!
      In the face of overwhelming evidence, I have to admit that this
      theory which I posted back in March is obviously wrong. Not only
      did another member of our list come forward saying he had read a
      copy of the complete shooting script of episode #3, but now a
      COMPLETE print of the episode has recently been broadcast on DRIVE-
      IN CLASSICS. Unlike the version which Centaur Distribution released
      on their videos, the broadcast version does run 22 and a half
      minutes, rather than 14. The existence of this footage pretty much
      invalidates and thought that Episodes One thru Three could have ever
      been one single program with a one-hour runtime. I'm sorry to have
      posted an incorrect speculation, but it certainly seemed like a
      viable theory at the time. Anyway, I'm just thrilled that DRIVE-IN
      CLASSICS is re-running the series so we can finally get strong
      copies of it. The DVRs I've gotten of the eps so far look great,
      even if the original broadcast tapes are starting to show their
      age. I look forward to finally seeing many of the later episodes
      next year. - Curt
      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "lunatictyme"
      <lunatictyme@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, Strangers! I've been puzzling over episode 3 of our beloved
      > series. On the Centaur tapes, it is the only episode that doesn't
      > have the opening SP logo, and it runs a scant 15 minutes, rather
      than
      > 22 1/2 minutes like all the rest. It puzzled me as to why this
      one
      > would be so much shorter. Could there be missing footage that was
      > somehow lost from syndication? Then I recalled something I had
      > previously read here on the list. The previous copyright holder
      on
      > the show had reported that there was an hour-long unaired pilot
      > episode of SP. Others have speculated that this pilot was chopped
      in
      > half and eventually aired as episodes 1 and 2. That would make
      > sense, as both of those added together would give you
      approximately a
      > 45 minute run time with 15 minutes left for commercials (the
      standard
      > show to commercial ratio for that time period). However, I did a
      > little math and discovered that if you add the running times for
      the
      > first 3 episodes together, you come up with almost exactly one
      hour.
      > And, if you subtract the fractions of minutes for the opening and
      > closing credits of episode 2, and the closing credits of episode
      3,
      > you wind up with one hour practically on the nose. This may be
      old
      > news to some of you, but I'm convinced that the "unaired" pilot is
      > actually just episodes 1 thru 3 without interruption. If you look
      at
      > those three episodes as a whole, they introduce all the major
      > characters of the Maljardin storyline. Additionally, it is after
      > episode three that John Granik takes over the role of Dan Forest.
      Of
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2004
        Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
        the time to write about this.

        I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
        for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping up,
        I'd love to hear more comments.

        It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
        noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?

        Thank you again.

        Steve
      • lunatictyme
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
          Hey, Steve! Thanks for the kind words on my postings. I figure a
          big part of the reason that boards like this one exist is so we can
          try to figure out things and learn background stuff about our
          favorite show. Unfortunately, my hypothesis re: Episode 3 was
          incorrect, but I was glad to at least try to reconcile the missing
          footage and the earlier comments about the possible existence of a
          one-hour pilot. Too bad I was just plain wrong. As to your
          questions about the current Drive-In Classics airings of the shows,
          I can't see that anything has been sped up or trimmed. It is true
          that they are running commercials, interrupting the episodes three
          to four times a broadcast, but they do not seem to be editing out
          any footage for syndication. If anything, it would appear, with the
          reappearance of the footage from Episode 3, that they are actually
          airing more complete prints than Centaur released on their videos.
          I'm not just referring to Episode 3, either. So far, of the initial
          7 episodes that I've seen from the D-IC run, every ep has had its
          closing credits intact, which Centaur certainly did not supply. As
          I receive my DVR copies of the shows, I'm transfering them to a
          second DVD and cutting the commercials out in the process. The
          quality is still completely digital, so there is no generational
          loss, and this gives me the added bonus of having accurate run times
          (without ads)on each of their episodes. So far, they're clocking in
          at right around 22 and a half minutes each, which,I understand, is
          the proper time for a complete print. So I'd have to say that based
          on what I've seen so far, Drive-In Classics is doing an excellent
          job of resurrecting STRANGE PARADISE. Here's hoping they keep it
          around for some time to come! - Curt
          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, gothick42 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
          > the time to write about this.
          >
          > I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
          > for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping
          up,
          > I'd love to hear more comments.
          >
          > It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
          > noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?
          >
          > Thank you again.
          >
          > Steve
        • jeffcan36
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
            Hi.

            Flipping through the GUIDE on my Digital Cable stations and what do
            my wondering eyes should appear is STRANGE PARADISE on the Drive-In
            station at 7:30 PM nightly EST.

            I'm sure you all know this but thought I'd let you know.

            Jeff
          • drew790
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
              wrote:

              > Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
              > the time to write about this.
              >
              > I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
              > for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping
              up,
              > I'd love to hear more comments.
              >
              > It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
              > noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?
              >
              > Thank you again.
              >
              > Steve

              Drive In Classics, as well as the CHUM Network's other cable
              outlets, like Space, do not edit the shows they air. They obtain
              the best possible copy available for purchase to them and air it as
              is, aside from airing commercials - which these ran with
              originally. The original commercial breaks are being used now.