Re: I need these episodes!!!!!!!!!!

  • lunatictyme
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
      Since there's been a bit of speculation about the current broadcasts
      of STRANGE PARADISE on Drive-In Classics increasing the quality of
      the episodes in circulation among us fans (particularly in regards
      to the later shows), I guess this is as good a time as any to stick
      in my two cents' worth. Another member of this list and I have
      struck a deal with a fellow inside Canada to record the entire run
      of the show for us. I've provided him with a Panasonic digital
      video recorder and he's taking the broadcasts directly from a
      digital satellite feed, so the copies he is creating for us should
      be of an excellent quality. Unfortunately, it will be several weeks
      before the first of these recordings will make it down here from
      Canada, but I'm most anxious to see what these broadcasts are going
      to look like. I'm sure that it won't take long for these recordings,
      and others like them, to start making the rounds among the faithful,
      so don't despair. Let's just hope that maybe by some miracle the
      three "lost" episodes will turn up in these new airings. - Curt
      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, gothick42 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > I would really recommend folks looking for post week 21 episodes
      of
      > SP to sit tight and see whether tapes (or discs) of the current
      > b'cast on Drive In Classics surface. The quality is going to be
      much
      > better than *any* of the known tapes of these later shows
      currently
      > available.
      >
      > Of course, if what you are looking for is the video equivalent of
      > what used to be called a "reading copy" in the second-hand book
      > trade, I guess it doesn't matter.
      >
      > Steve
    • drew790
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
        wrote:

        > I would really recommend folks looking for post week 21 episodes
        of
        > SP to sit tight and see whether tapes (or discs) of the current
        > b'cast on Drive In Classics surface. The quality is going to be
        much
        > better than *any* of the known tapes of these later shows
        currently
        > available.
        >
        > Of course, if what you are looking for is the video equivalent of
        > what used to be called a "reading copy" in the second-hand book
        > trade, I guess it doesn't matter.
        >
        > Steve

        I'm watching, and absolutely addicted, to the show through the Drive-
        In broadcasts. But what is Week 21 in terms of ep #s / story? Right
        now we just saw the end of Erica's resurrection story and the
        burning of Maljardin and today was the first episode in Desmond Hall.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
          Hi Drew,

          Desmond Hall starts week 14 of SP. You have 7 weeks of shows (35
          shows) to go to the end of week 21. The Centaur commercial releases
          stopped with that week. I believe week 22 is the week of one of the
          missing episodes. I can't really figure out from what has been
          posted whether the Drive In channel is airing 5 new episodes each
          week. I live in Boston and don't have cable--but I don't believe
          that channel is available at all in the US.

          Steve
        • drew790
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
            wrote:

            > Hi Drew,
            >
            > Desmond Hall starts week 14 of SP. You have 7 weeks of shows (35
            > shows) to go to the end of week 21. The Centaur commercial
            releases
            > stopped with that week. I believe week 22 is the week of one of
            the
            > missing episodes. I can't really figure out from what has been
            > posted whether the Drive In channel is airing 5 new episodes each
            > week. I live in Boston and don't have cable--but I don't believe
            > that channel is available at all in the US.
            >
            > Steve

            Drive-In Classics is a Canadian digital cable channel, not available
            outside of Canada. And they do air 5 new eps every week.

            So these missing episodes, are they actually missing as in 100% no
            existing copies like Dr Who and most daytime soaps before 1980 etc,
            or missing from fan trading circles?
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
              I personally believe, based on a brief letter that was posted from
              the copyright owner (I have unfortunately misplaced it) that these
              three episodes are missing in the SP master tape archive.

              It's too bad and I gather they never bothered to keep the film copies
              as was the case with DS. So those shows are presumably gone
              forever. Maybe they'll somehow or other turn up in some film
              collectors' stash... one can only hope.

              When I interviewed people from CGOH who had worked on the show, they
              recalled this time when the station decided to trash all of their
              archives. They simply took boxes of papers, photos, and I believe
              even reels of tape and threw them in a dumpster outside a station. So
              there's nothing left there.

              Copies of all the publicity photos (there were BOXES of these taken),
              press releases etc went to Steve Krantz's office in NYC so it's
              possible that the Krantzes still have these sitting somewhere.