Re: [Strange Paradise] New Online

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hi Scott,

      From something that was posted a few years back from the office of
      the people who held the copyright on SP at one time, I am led to
      believe that the master tapes for episodes #108, 116, and 122 are
      missing. I am doubtful whether these shows will resurface in the
      current Canadian cable airing.

      However, if somebody is taping, it's possible they will be able to
      get complete copies of two other shows that have been circulating in
      fragmentary versions, apparently due to cable issues the original
      taper had when he was recording the old syndication of the series.

      It would be interesting to know whether the eBay vendor's claims that
      his DVD copies of these shows are of a quality superior to those
      previously circulating is truthful. I'm skeptical but am unlikely to
      test the waters, as DVD-R's seem to have an unpredictable playback
      performance. Those things are worse than car door handles.

      Best wishes,

      Steve
      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Spears"
      <mar1wmc@h...> wrote:
      > Just checked it out and saw where a lot of the rare episodes are
      available
      > featuring Helena Raleigh. But the elusive episodes #108, 116, and
      122 are
      > not found there. For episode summaries on these missing episodes,
      check out
      > the files section of the strangeparadise2 club website.
    • Scott Spears
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
        Thanks for the updated info and for setting the record straight on DVD-R's
        as I have not had any experience with them and until Strange Paradise is
        released officially on DVD I will stick to the VHS tapes. Picture quality is
        still very good. Will be interesting to see if the channel in Canada shows
        the missing episodes as I thought they were pivitol and missed not seeing
        them when watching the series. For one thing, where did Holly find the key
        and from where did Cort hide it, what did Irene say when she looked into the
        future to Emily and what were Helena's parting words as she fled Desmond
        Hall. Hopefully these questions will eventually get answered and seen.
        Looking forward to it....

        >From: gothick42 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        >To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Strange Paradise] New Online
        >Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:03:08 -0000
        >

        >Hi Scott,
        >
        >From something that was posted a few years back from the office of
        >the people who held the copyright on SP at one time, I am led to
        >believe that the master tapes for episodes #108, 116, and 122 are
        >missing. I am doubtful whether these shows will resurface in the
        >current Canadian cable airing.
        >
        >However, if somebody is taping, it's possible they will be able to
        >get complete copies of two other shows that have been circulating in
        >fragmentary versions, apparently due to cable issues the original
        >taper had when he was recording the old syndication of the series.
        >
        >It would be interesting to know whether the eBay vendor's claims that
        >his DVD copies of these shows are of a quality superior to those
        >previously circulating is truthful. I'm skeptical but am unlikely to
        >test the waters, as DVD-R's seem to have an unpredictable playback
        >performance. Those things are worse than car door handles.
        >
        >Best wishes,
        >
        >Steve
        >--- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Spears"
        ><mar1wmc@h...> wrote:
        > > Just checked it out and saw where a lot of the rare episodes are
        >available
        > > featuring Helena Raleigh. But the elusive episodes #108, 116, and
        >122 are
        > > not found there. For episode summaries on these missing episodes,
        >check out
        > > the files section of the strangeparadise2 club website.

      • drwhotrades
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
          > It would be interesting to know whether the eBay vendor's claims
          that
          > his DVD copies of these shows are of a quality superior to those
          > previously circulating is truthful. I'm skeptical but am unlikely
          > test the waters, as DVD-R's seem to have an unpredictable playback
          > performance. Those things are worse than car door handles.

          Just as an FYI for those who might be curious about the quality of
          the DVD-rs on Ebay...I am reasonably aware of the seller's source and
          can assure everyone that the episodes are not of any better quality
          than those currently in circulation. In fact, I would speculate that
          some of them are of lesser quality. Thus, unless you really want to
          see the episodes you don't actually need to pick up the DVD-rs...the
          existing VHS copies are fine for that.

          Bryan
        • Frederick Schrader
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
            Actually it is VHS that deteriorates over time, not DVD-R. Even if you prefer VHS, it is wise to back up everything you have with a DVD-R. I have not had any problems with the DVD-R format, nor do I know anyone who has, though I have heard from alot of my reading that people have had problems with that format sometimes because their DVD Recorder is not compatible with the DVD-R blank disc or recorded DVD-R attempted to play on the unit. If you stick to high-quality DVD-R's you should never have any problem.
            Regards,
            Frederick Schrader

            P.S. I would also think it would be highly unlikely to see SP anytime in the near future as a DVD Collection or Boxed Set. Right now, it's not even clear who owns it and some of the rights may even be in the public domain.
            Thanks for the updated info and for setting the record straight on DVD-R's
            as I have not had any experience with them and until Strange Paradise is
            released officially on DVD I will stick to the VHS tapes. Picture quality is
            still very good. Will be interesting to see if the channel in Canada shows
            the missing episodes as I thought they were pivitol and missed not seeing
            them when watching the series. For one thing, where did Holly find the key
            and from where did Cort hide it, what did Irene say when she looked into the
            future to Emily and what were Helena's parting words as she fled Desmond
            Hall. Hopefully these questions will eventually get answered and seen.
            Looking forward to it....

            >From: gothick42 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            >To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Strange Paradise] New Online
            >Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:03:08 -0000
            >

            >Hi Scott,
            >
            >From something that was posted a few years back from the office of
            >the people who held the copyright on SP at one time, I am led to
            >believe that the master tapes for episodes #108, 116, and 122 are
            >missing. I am doubtful whether these shows will resurface in the
            >current Canadian cable airing.
            >
            >However, if somebody is taping, it's possible they will be able to
            >get complete copies of two other shows that have been circulating in
            >fragmentary versions, apparently due to cable issues the original
            >taper had when he was recording the old syndication of the series.
            >
            >It would be interesting to know whether the eBay vendor's claims that
            >his DVD copies of these shows are of a quality superior to those
            >previously circulating is truthful. I'm skeptical but am unlikely to
            >test the waters, as DVD-R's seem to have an unpredictable playback
            >performance. Those things are worse than car door handles.
            >
            >Best wishes,
            >
            >Steve
            >--- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Spears"
            ><mar1wmc@h...> wrote:
            > > Just checked it out and saw where a lot of the rare episodes are
            >available
            > > featuring Helena Raleigh. But the elusive episodes #108, 116, and
            >122 are
            > > not found there. For episode summaries on these missing episodes,
            >check out
            > > the files section of the strangeparadise2 club website.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
              Hi Frederick,

              sorry I was not clear. I meant that there can be problems with
              playing DVD-R's recorded on somebody else's equipment on one's own
              equipment. My obscure car door handle ref was meant to be a way of
              saying that there does not seem to be any standard currently on the
              market in recordable DVD players. I have a friend who has one and
              during the last season of QAF he made two attempts (using different
              format settings) to record the shows on DVD-R--neither were playable
              on my equipment, nor by my friend who works in a media center at a
              large New England university and has access to a wide range of
              equipment.

              I personally think (just my own opinion) that the speed with which
              videotape deteriorates has been greatly exaggerated, mainly by
              industry types who want everyone to invest in DVD. I have Dark
              Shadows videotapes here that I play several times a year (it's my
              drug, hee hee) and ten years on most still play just fine. One or
              two have had to be replaced but I think that pretty much goes with
              the territory when you're talking about something like 200 tapes.

              I have also heard that DVD's *aren't* eternal and a lot has to do
              with how you store them. YMMV, of course.

              Just so you don't think I am a complete Luddite--I do love the stuff
              I have on DVD. Horror Hotel/City of the Dead, one of my ten favorite
              movies, looks a million times better on the DVD, but I attribute part
              of that to the BFI restoration.

            • Frederick Schrader
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
                I guess it's all a matter of taste experience. I have not had any bad experiences with DVD-R's so...As for VHS, I can't get things on DVD quickly enough, especially home-made recordings which do deteriorate rapidly. As a collector and archivist of rare films, I have a lot of media from the 70's which are in bad condition due to deterioration. I don't believe the Dark Shadows videotapes have been out as long as that, so I wouldn't expect the amount of deterioration to be that self-evident. As for anything, being eternal...In five or ten years, the next media format will make DVD obsolete. By the way, I still have Laserdiscs and LP's as well.
                Regards,
                Frederick Schrader

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2004
                    Oh, I can't get enough of dear Pat Jessel and Val Dyall in that
                    film! For Dark Shadows fans, Pat did a play with Thayer David and
                    Louis Edmonds in the early Sixties. The title, believe it or not,
                    was Cat-stick. Louis still remembered doing it when I spoke with him
                    in the late 90s.

                    Pat often brings to mind my personal favorite actress of all time--
                    Grayson Hall--and I was delighted to learn that both actresses played
                    the same role in an obscure avant-garde play, The Buskers, by one
                    Kenneth Jupp. Pat was in the London production, and Grayson in the
                    New York one (it didn't last very long, even in Greenwich Village).

                    I assume eventually we'll be using something like the data crystals
                    on Babylon 5...

                    Best wishes,