RE: [Strange Paradise] Final episodes of SP SPOILERS

  • Billy Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29 11:18 AM
      It appears that after Maljardin burned to the ground and Jean Paul, Holly,
      Raxl and Quito arrived at Desmond Hall that Raxl reverted back to her
      hell-ish roots. It seemed like every 13 weeks the story arcs completed
      themselves. First the Maljardin storyline. Everyone departed that was not
      being used in the second story arc. No need for Holly's mom or the preacher
      man or the artist, etc.. The Second arc was the Phillip/Holly and the
      Serpent's curse/Key business and here to we got rid of Holly, Phillip,
      Quito, Helena, and the Vivian Reis role (what was her name again?). Once
      Holly was gone another pretty blonde girl came to take her place named Susan
      with a past linked to Raxl, Phillip, Jacques, and Jean Paul and even Cort
      and Cort's grandfather. By this time Lazlo and Irene were as useful as Ada
      and the coven. Just scenery characters we saw from time to time. Clearly the
      focus was on Jean Paul/Emily and Susan/Phillip and their past and present
      connections with Raxl and Cort and most of all the "star" and then they
      probably got the news that after 3 story arcs they were not picked up and
      just ended it. (*SPOILER*) with Jean Paul and Emily going off into the
      sunset, Philip returning to his "mysterious people" and Susan and
      grandfather disappearing into the ethers with Jacques and, oh yeah, Raxl
      burning up in hell. I guess they could have had a 4th storyarc on Cort
      learning witchcraft from Irene and conjuring from his uncle Philip's books
      all kinds of terror from Desmondton. Interesting in the final month how
      they were able to tie all of the different storylines together and even tied
      back Maljardin into the final weeks story.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29 5:37 PM
        In a message dated 6/28/2004 5:37:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Greetings all, this past weekend, I finally viewed the last 2 weeks'
        > episodes of SP. I realize that only a few of the people in this
        > group have seen more than a couple of shows of the series more
        > recently than the past 30 years. For those who have seen them
        > recently, I am curious about the final 2 shows. They had such huge
        > continuity gaps with the preceding 4 to 5 weeks, with Raxl turning
        > evil again, Irene without her powers again, etc., that I found myself
        > wondering whether the final 2 shows were written many weeks in
        > advance of the remainder.
        >
        > Overall, the single most disappointing aspect of the final weeks was
        > the departure of Lazlo. That was handled in such a flat, dull way.
        > He went from scheming relentlessly to just stalking meekly out the
        > door!
        >
        > A close second were the departures of Susan and Philip. Susan's
        > character was so inconsistent--in the end, she seemed to add up to a
        > whole lot of nothing.
        >
        > I did enjoy getting to see Colin Fox briefly reprise his role of
        > Jacques. When he looked down at Emily's hand on his arm, curled his
        > lip, and smirked with barely concealed distaste, "Who is this...
        > GIRL?" I thought it was a brilliantly played moment. Cosette was
        > wonderful as well. Her final scene with Colin was a real highlight
        > to an otherwise not very satisfying (for me) ending.
        >
        > Steve

        How did you get these episodes?

        David