Final episodes of SP SPOILERS

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
      Greetings all, this past weekend, I finally viewed the last 2 weeks'
      episodes of SP. I realize that only a few of the people in this
      group have seen more than a couple of shows of the series more
      recently than the past 30 years. For those who have seen them
      recently, I am curious about the final 2 shows. They had such huge
      continuity gaps with the preceding 4 to 5 weeks, with Raxl turning
      evil again, Irene without her powers again, etc., that I found myself
      wondering whether the final 2 shows were written many weeks in
      advance of the remainder.

      Overall, the single most disappointing aspect of the final weeks was
      the departure of Lazlo. That was handled in such a flat, dull way.
      He went from scheming relentlessly to just stalking meekly out the
      door!

      A close second were the departures of Susan and Philip. Susan's
      character was so inconsistent--in the end, she seemed to add up to a
      whole lot of nothing.

      I did enjoy getting to see Colin Fox briefly reprise his role of
      Jacques. When he looked down at Emily's hand on his arm, curled his
      lip, and smirked with barely concealed distaste, "Who is this...
      GIRL?" I thought it was a brilliantly played moment. Cosette was
      wonderful as well. Her final scene with Colin was a real highlight
      to an otherwise not very satisfying (for me) ending.

      Steve
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2004
        My guess would be that the conclusion of the Desmond family curse
        storyline wasn't intended to come at episode 195. It was probably
        envisioned to continue past the ninth month of the series. But when
        the powers that be cancelled "Strange Paradise", Lemay (or whoever
        was behind the plot) had to speed up the plot to bring an end to the
        series.

        I think that this would explain why characters were given quick
        sendoffs. The plot involving Laslo & Irene wasn't crucial to the
        Desmond curse so it was quickly wrapped up. My guess is Ada's
        poisoning and the revelation of Laslo's possible involvement in the
        death of his first wife were intended to come much later on.

        I cannot think of any reason why any writer wouldn't have a field
        day with gossip-queen Irene. The woman was given such an intriguing
        backstory by Cornelius Crane- the widowed Desmond family friend with
        the dead illegitimate daughter. Lemay gave Irene motivation for her
        desire to steal the Desmond fortune- love for Laslo.

        However, I'll give credit to Lemay in that there was very few plot
        points just thrown out. His work was present in a tight package.
        There was the vague rumblings of Benjamin Desmond having an
        illegitimate spawn of his own, but that was nothing compared to some
        of the other aborted plots.

        I loved the pairing of Susan and Phillip, and am still very
        disappointed that they didn't get a happy ending together. However,
        there final scene is very memorable. "In another time, and another
        place, we would've been married and had children." Ahh, what could
        have been. I have a feeling, had the story not rushed to a
        conclusion, Cort would have been battling for Susan's atteintion as
        well.

        I find the final weeks very intriguing and very much edge of your
        seat viewing. Despite some of the things I had read about this time,
        there were so many things that shocked me, such as Susan's
        connection to the Desmond family. I was also very interested in the
        whole Desmond family curse legend.

        However, I still don't really understand the whole nature of Julien,
        Susan, and Raxl. Many of their conversations lost me and I didn't
        always understand what they were talking about with their past lives
        and changing names of Susan/Susanne, Julien/Monsieur Le Counte,
        Raxl/Madame Lenwoix(spelling?).

        I loved the final episodes, and was shocked by the return of Jacques
        Eloi (who was definitely less flamboyant as originally portrayed).
        It was a nice surprise to see a sort of return to the beginning. To
        me, Lemay's work seemed to be a real return to Martin's original
        vision, much moreso than it was under Crane.

        I wonder, as you mentioned that Raxl's personality change, if there
        was originally going to be a different source of trouble for the
        Desmond family and that Raxl was thrown in there at last minute. How
        great would it have been if Tudi Wiggins reappeared yet again and it
        turned out Erica- the great love of Jean Paul's life- was the actual
        source of woe for the Desmond family. Oh, I think I would've died.