STRANGE PARADISE: The Riddle of Episode #3

  • lunatictyme
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      Hi, Strangers! I've been puzzling over episode 3 of our beloved
      series. On the Centaur tapes, it is the only episode that doesn't
      have the opening SP logo, and it runs a scant 15 minutes, rather than
      22 1/2 minutes like all the rest. It puzzled me as to why this one
      would be so much shorter. Could there be missing footage that was
      somehow lost from syndication? Then I recalled something I had
      previously read here on the list. The previous copyright holder on
      the show had reported that there was an hour-long unaired pilot
      episode of SP. Others have speculated that this pilot was chopped in
      half and eventually aired as episodes 1 and 2. That would make
      sense, as both of those added together would give you approximately a
      45 minute run time with 15 minutes left for commercials (the standard
      show to commercial ratio for that time period). However, I did a
      little math and discovered that if you add the running times for the
      first 3 episodes together, you come up with almost exactly one hour.
      And, if you subtract the fractions of minutes for the opening and
      closing credits of episode 2, and the closing credits of episode 3,
      you wind up with one hour practically on the nose. This may be old
      news to some of you, but I'm convinced that the "unaired" pilot is
      actually just episodes 1 thru 3 without interruption. If you look at
      those three episodes as a whole, they introduce all the major
      characters of the Maljardin storyline. Additionally, it is after
      episode three that John Granik takes over the role of Dan Forest. Of
      course, this theory is only speculation on my part, and I have no way
      to confirm it. The only detriment to this idea is that at least one
      of the SP promotional material. This might seem to indicate that
      there was yet more footage to the pilot that hasn't seen the light of
      day, and I can't explain this. My only other thought is that perhaps
      this was material not actually filmed, but maybe those were posed
      publicity photos taken prior to the filming of the pilot. Anyway,
      it's a theory, and I was wondering if any of you have any further
      ideas or info on the matter.
    • Anthony Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
        I noticed this as well when transferringt them to DVD-R. Maybe the
        footage was missing in the syndication package? This happened with a fair
        amount of episodes of DARK SHADOWS. Luckily I believe all but one of those
        was found for eventual vhs/dvd release. It would be nice if we could have a
        DVD release of all the SP episodes... someday perhaps.

        Did everyone suggest SP for airing on the Horror Channel? If not do it!
        Every little bit helps! Here is the link again:

        http://www.horrorchannel.com/hc1/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=22

        The above link takes you to the HORROR CHANNEL website. Once you are
        there, click on SURVEY and fire away!

        I apologize for repeating this info, but it never hurts as a backup
        reminder! :)

        Thanks!

        ToNy

        From: "lunatictyme" <lunatictyme@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2004
          Hello again, Strangers!
          In the face of overwhelming evidence, I have to admit that this
          theory which I posted back in March is obviously wrong. Not only
          did another member of our list come forward saying he had read a
          copy of the complete shooting script of episode #3, but now a
          COMPLETE print of the episode has recently been broadcast on DRIVE-
          IN CLASSICS. Unlike the version which Centaur Distribution released
          on their videos, the broadcast version does run 22 and a half
          minutes, rather than 14. The existence of this footage pretty much
          invalidates and thought that Episodes One thru Three could have ever
          been one single program with a one-hour runtime. I'm sorry to have
          posted an incorrect speculation, but it certainly seemed like a
          viable theory at the time. Anyway, I'm just thrilled that DRIVE-IN
          CLASSICS is re-running the series so we can finally get strong
          copies of it. The DVRs I've gotten of the eps so far look great,
          even if the original broadcast tapes are starting to show their
          age. I look forward to finally seeing many of the later episodes
          next year. - Curt
          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "lunatictyme"
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2004
            Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
            the time to write about this.

            I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
            for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping up,
            I'd love to hear more comments.

            It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
            noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?

            Thank you again.

            Steve
          • lunatictyme
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2004
              Hey, Steve! Thanks for the kind words on my postings. I figure a
              big part of the reason that boards like this one exist is so we can
              try to figure out things and learn background stuff about our
              favorite show. Unfortunately, my hypothesis re: Episode 3 was
              incorrect, but I was glad to at least try to reconcile the missing
              footage and the earlier comments about the possible existence of a
              one-hour pilot. Too bad I was just plain wrong. As to your
              questions about the current Drive-In Classics airings of the shows,
              I can't see that anything has been sped up or trimmed. It is true
              that they are running commercials, interrupting the episodes three
              to four times a broadcast, but they do not seem to be editing out
              any footage for syndication. If anything, it would appear, with the
              reappearance of the footage from Episode 3, that they are actually
              airing more complete prints than Centaur released on their videos.
              I'm not just referring to Episode 3, either. So far, of the initial
              7 episodes that I've seen from the D-IC run, every ep has had its
              closing credits intact, which Centaur certainly did not supply. As
              I receive my DVR copies of the shows, I'm transfering them to a
              second DVD and cutting the commercials out in the process. The
              quality is still completely digital, so there is no generational
              loss, and this gives me the added bonus of having accurate run times
              (without ads)on each of their episodes. So far, they're clocking in
              at right around 22 and a half minutes each, which,I understand, is
              the proper time for a complete print. So I'd have to say that based
              on what I've seen so far, Drive-In Classics is doing an excellent
              job of resurrecting STRANGE PARADISE. Here's hoping they keep it
              around for some time to come! - Curt
              --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, gothick42 <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:

              > Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
              > the time to write about this.
              >
              > I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
              > for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping
              up,
              > I'd love to hear more comments.
              >
              > It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
              > noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?
              >
              > Thank you again.
              >
              > Steve
            • jeffcan36
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
                Hi.

                Flipping through the GUIDE on my Digital Cable stations and what do
                my wondering eyes should appear is STRANGE PARADISE on the Drive-In
                station at 7:30 PM nightly EST.

                I'm sure you all know this but thought I'd let you know.

                Jeff
              • drew790
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > Dear Curt, thanks for this post. I really appreciated your taking
                  > the time to write about this.
                  >
                  > I am quite curious to see some of the Drive In Classics broadcasts
                  > for myself. If anybody out there has been watching and keeping
                  up,
                  > I'd love to hear more comments.
                  >
                  > It's too bad they are being run with commercials. Has anybody
                  > noticed any signs of speeded up scenes or cuts?
                  >
                  > Thank you again.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  Drive In Classics, as well as the CHUM Network's other cable
                  outlets, like Space, do not edit the shows they air. They obtain
                  the best possible copy available for purchase to them and air it as
                  is, aside from airing commercials - which these ran with
                  originally. The original commercial breaks are being used now.