Dark Shadows Similarities

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2003
      Recently, someone posted a message detailing how much SP came to
      resemble DS when Bob Costello took over as producer and the action
      shifted from Maljardin to Desmondton (Collinsport). Desmond Hall
      actually was a mirror image of Collinwood - entrance, foyer with
      stairs and drawing room. I guess the secret door under the stairs
      took the place of that door at Collinwood under the stairs that led
      to Mrs. Johnson's room or wherever. Also, the Laslo character -
      wasn't he SP's version of Jason McGuire? He came to get his hands on
      the Desmond wealth by marrying Ada, just like Jason intended to do
      with Liz Stoddard. His exit was simmilar as well, with Julien
      frightening him away. His expressions in his last episodes remind me
      of the look on Jason's face as he realized he had been beat and
      eventually met his fate at the hands of Barnabas.

      Did Dark Shadows ever borrow ideas from SP? SP went off in 1970.
      Shortly thereafter DS embarked on its 1840 flashback with one story
      involving the "Mask of Baal" which was needed to reunite Judah's head
      to his body. Could this idea have come from Orendo's mask?
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2003
        > Did Dark Shadows ever borrow ideas from SP? SP went off in 1970.

        I think that the final arc for Dark Shadows- the 1841 Parallel Time
        story seemed to be ripping off both "Wuthering Heights" and "Strange
        Paradise". The whole story seemed to be a rehash of the early days of
        Maljardin. The family curse and being married to your true love's
        sibling. A lot of Raoua, Huaco and Jacques could be seen. Maybe
        that's why I love the final days of "Dark Shadows" so much.

        I still think that early Desmond Hall was a cheap imitation of "Dark
        Shadows", but the Desmond Hall story seemed to be picking up steam
        with the introduction of Agatha Pruitt and Helena Raleigh.