Re: master recordings unearthed!

  • Oldtime Radio
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
      Hi Curt!  This may have been asked before (I'm working a lot of hours these days and I'm scanning messages rather hurriedly) so I apologize if I'm re-hashing something.... but do we know who Gerard Corwin is?

      If he was a rightsholder (ie, owner of the series at some point) then I'd be more inclined to say the tape might be a master (although it would still be a bit suspect for one or two "masters" to be separated from the rest. Masters are usually treated as a group and housed together, and transported together if rights are transferred to a new owner).

      As to the destination stickers, tapes sent to individual stations in those days were usually "bicycled" -- that is, one station would send it on to the next station, then that one would send on to the next, etc., without returning the tape to the distributor each time.  Often, the last station on the list would be able to keep the tape because after it had been through it's entire route-- (usually shipped by bus or air for speed, in order to meet airdates) --they usually didn't bother to return it to the distributor and the distributor didn't care (and wouldn't want to re-use such a well handled tape anyway).

      Sadly, local stations often reused such tapes and recorded over them with their own local material or simply threw them away if they looked too well used. Small stations didn't have the storage room to keep very many 2" tapes (as you can see they were pretty big, especially the 60 or 90 minute ones). Also, the stations didn't have the rights to re-air the original program anyway, so keeping it was of no benefit to them. So, both distributor and stations usually regarded them as pretty much useless once they had completed their route.

      This most likely accounts for all the destination stickers.

      It is sad to contemplate the destruction of such material, because a well preserved 2" tape can still look AMAZINGLY good when properly reproduced (you have to do a head alignment on the quad heads before playing each individual tape ... so it takes a bit of care. Proper 2" reproduction isn't just a matter of hitting the "play" button, lol). Most of the "old look" that we associate with 2" videotapes has to do with the *camera* technology of the time and the look of the camera tubes, not the 2" tape medium.

      The 2" analog technology was pretty amazing. Did you know that the 4 video heads on a 2" machine "float" on air, and you have to supply the machine with a source of compressed air (compressor and air tube) for it to operate. (Trivia department! lol) At least this was true of the machines we still had in the 1980s. Dealing with the compressed air was a bit of a pain ("is the compressor on?") so they may have come up with a different way on the machines still operating today. But in those days if you didn't have the air flowing, your head assembly would seize up and be ruined, which of course was a HUGE deal. So you always had to check the air first, and there was always a faint "hissing" sound (rather like a steam train, lol) in the machine room.

      Well, dupe or not, it's fun finding treasure! :)

      Best wishes,

      John
      "OTRL2"

      -
      -
      -
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013
        Thanks again for your insights into the broadcasting world, John! It's fascinating to hear from someone who knows this stuff first hand. You're probably right regarding the reels being "bicycled" about. I did little poking around online, and found out that Gerald Corwin of Minneapolis was involved in the television industry back in the day, partially as someone who sold programming to different markets. So, STRANGE PARADISE being a first-run syndicated series, it makes sense that Corwin may have been one of the guys responsible for promoting the show to various stations. It's only an educated guess, but I suspect that was his connection to Krantz Films (as he was definitely never a rightsholder of the series). Here's a link to a brief BILLBOARD article about his career, circa 1957:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=fx4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=gerald+corwin+minneapolis&source=bl&ots=cHNcYY6s-i&sig=Kl5vFaKQPHjmAApNHRAnXjNMS1A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XIJgUZvlM4i88AT05oH4CQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=gerald%20corwin%20minneapolis&f=false

        -Curt

        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2013
          Hi, Strangers!

          I'm excited to announce that I've just watched the contents of the recently discovered STRANGE PARADISE 2" quadruplex tapes, and I can now say with certainty what is on them. One is, as I had already thought, an excellent copy of Episode 52. The mystery tape that is just labeled "Krantz - STRANGE PARADISE" contains an alternate print of the series' pilot. I say an alternate print because it contains MATERIAL THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE! Admittedly, this new material consists of only two small deleted scenes that total scarcely 45 seconds between them, but this footage was in neither the Drive-In Classics broadcasts NOR the Centaur Distribution VHS release of the pilot. I'm not even sure that it was ever broadcast anywhere.

          The first sequence directly follows Alison's phone call to Dan's office, and her line, "I must speak to my sister, Mrs. Jean Paul Desmond." Previous prints cut from that line to a shot of Jean Paul standing on the landing in the Great Hall on Maljardin, holding Erica's corpse and speaking to Raxl and Dr. Menkin. This new print instead goes to a much closer shot of Jean Paul carrying Erica down the stairs, and fades to black for a commercial break. Then, the print fades back in to pick up with him on the landing addressing Raxl and Menkin.

          The other new sequence directly follows the end of the scene in which Jean Paul is holding Erica's corpse. That scene ends with the camera pulling in tightly on Erica's face, and usually changes to a shot of Dan entering his office and asking his secretary, "Business or personal." In this new print, however, the tight shot of Erica's face fades to Dan walking down a hallway in his law firm, and encountering several people along the way. He rounds a corner, and then enters his office.

          Obviously, neither of these sequences is particularly earth-shattering in their impact to the story, but it's still exciting to uncover deleted / extended sequences that were shot for the series. I'm really excited to have been able to archive these pieces of STRANGE PARADISE for posterity.
          -Curt

          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

          > Hey, Strangers!
          > I've already written to several of you individually about this, but I wanted to make a public announcement. As of late last week, a pair of 2" broadcast master reels from STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this one. It could be any random installment, one of the series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I wanted to share the news of the discovery with everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.
          > -Curt

        • Mark Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12, 2013
            Curt,
            Even at 45 seconds, I still view this as a huge discovery!!!

            Thanks for the update!

            Regards,
            Mark

            Message 5 of 14 , May 12, 2013
              Agree 100% - this is exciting!

              Message 6 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                I'm glad to hear that you guys are just as intrigued as I am by this unexpected discovery. At most, I thought the tape might contain some commercials, or a production slate marker. Had no clue that we would actually uncover "deleted scenes." Every other episode of STRANGE PARADISE that I've seen (including the 2" broadcast copy that I acquired of Episode 52) runs 22 minutes 35 seconds (or within a few seconds of that mark). This new footage in the alternate print of the pilot makes its running time about a minute longer that. Given that 22:35 was pretty much the standard for a 30 minute syndicated show at that time, I wonder if this version of the pilot was ever even broadcast. -Curt

                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, sprules_1999 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > I've already written to several of you individually about this, but I wanted to make a public announcement. As of late last week, a pair of 2" broadcast master reels from STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this one. It could be any random installment, one of the series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I wanted to share the news of the discovery with everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                  That is awesome Curt, hope to see them uploaded some day?

> [...]

                  I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.

                • Joanna Desmond
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                    Hey Curt, Just reading this! That is awesome news!!

                    To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
                    From: strangeparadiselibrary@...
                    Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 02:26:51 +0000
                    Subject: [Strange Paradise] master recordings unearthed!