master recordings unearthed!

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hey, Strangers!
      I've already written to several of you individually about this, but I wanted to make a public announcement. As of late last week, a pair of 2" broadcast master reels from STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this one. It could be any random installment, one of the series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I wanted to share the news of the discovery with everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.
      -Curt
    • Oldtime Radio
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2013
        Curt, this brings back memories for me because when I started out in Television during the 80s I worked with 2" tapes quite a bit (we no longer produced on that format, but stations still used it for air, so we made many a 2" copy).

        I wish I still had access to a machine but, alas, the 2" machines are almost extinct today, although there are a few legacy facilities which still have them. They were huge, about the size of a horizontal phone booth. During the 80s, we had two of them.

        It's amazing the wealth of video material which has just been junked over the years (not to mention recorded over). I'll never forget the heart rending story of how SEARCH FOR TOMORROW leading lady Mary Stuart went to network execs and literally (according to her) *begged* for the SFT tapes when the facility that housed them was to be torn down.

        The network, which owned the rights, saw no value in the tapes because they did not forsee such things as SoapNet, etc. Yet, even so, they would not let her have the tapes (she was going to try to get them housed by the Museum of Television in New York). What a shame... and there are so many such stories.

        Those are what make the discovery of even a couple of reels of duped material worth cheering about!

        Best wishes,
        John
        "OTRL2"

        PS: What you have found are almost undoubtedly station dupes and not actual masters, since they were found in Minneapolis... however, still treasure nonetheless!

        -
        -
        -

        __

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2013
          Thanks for your delightful comments, John! I may take the liberty of replying to you in more detail privately, but let me add a few more tidbits here. The tapes bear the Krantz name, but also a large legend stating "Reeves Sound Studios" and a New York address. The containers they are housed in show stickers of MANY airlines, and a tag marking them as the property of a gentleman in New York named Gerard Corwin. You may be right about them being station dupes, but if so I don't see why they would have been mailed around to so many different places. The warehouse in which they were discovered in Minnesota was a storage facility for the Pavek Museum of Broadcasting (so there's no real clue there as to whether these are true "broadcast masters" or dupes). As you say, either way, finding them is a real treat. I'm thrilled to own an actual piece of STRANGE PARADISE broadcast history.
          -Curt

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2013
            Closer examination of the container housing the reel marked STRANGE PARADISE #52 provides one further detail that gives me hope that perhaps these tapes aren't just station dupes. Among all of the airline stickers is a shipping label indicating that the reel was originally sent directly to Gerard Corwin from Krantz Films. Of course, all this proves for certain is that the CONTAINER came from Krantz Films, but since it houses a recording of STRANGE PARADISE, I think it's a reasonable assumption that both the case AND the reel are from Krantz. And if this is the case, the reel was not dubbed at a television station. Obviously, I know these are not the series' production master elements, or anything as dramatic as that, but I think a pretty strong case can be made that they may be broadcast masters. And even if they aren't, finding even a station dub of STRANGE PARADISE borders on the impossible these days.
            -Curt

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2013
              I'm only a couple hors from Minneapolis I can umm pick them up for you....get them right out to you haha

            • Van Reid
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2013
                I'm following this conversation and very much enjoying it! There's
                something wonderfully mysterious about that old analog technology and the
                (now seemingly) clunky manner in which TV shows and other media were shipped
                and promoted. I look forward to hearing more about this fun discovery!

                Van

                _____

                Closer examination of the container housing the reel marked STRANGE PARADISE
                #52 provides one further detail that gives me hope that perhaps these tapes
                aren't just station dupes. Among all of the airline stickers is a shipping
                label indicating that the reel was originally sent directly to Gerard Corwin
                from Krantz Films. Of course, all this proves for certain is that the
                CONTAINER came from Krantz Films, but since it houses a recording of STRANGE
                PARADISE, I think it's a reasonable assumption that both the case AND the
                reel are from Krantz. And if this is the case, the reel was not dubbed at a
                television station. Obviously, I know these are not the series' production
                master elements, or anything as dramatic as that, but I think a pretty
                strong case can be made that they may be broadcast masters. And even if they
                aren't, finding even a station dub of STRANGE PARADISE borders on the
                impossible these days.
                -Curt

                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Curt"

                <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com> , Oldtime Radio <otrl2@> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of
                > > > Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the
                > > > warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just
                > > > thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any
                > > > variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to
                > > > purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE
                > > > PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode
                > > > 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE
                > > > PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this
                > > > one. It could be any random installment, one of the
                > > > series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional
                > > > material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite
                > > > some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I
                > > > wanted to share the news of the discovery with
                > > > everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is

                <mailto:strangeparadise2-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

              • Oldtime Radio
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Hi Curt!  This may have been asked before (I'm working a lot of hours these days and I'm scanning messages rather hurriedly) so I apologize if I'm re-hashing something.... but do we know who Gerard Corwin is?

                  If he was a rightsholder (ie, owner of the series at some point) then I'd be more inclined to say the tape might be a master (although it would still be a bit suspect for one or two "masters" to be separated from the rest. Masters are usually treated as a group and housed together, and transported together if rights are transferred to a new owner).

                  As to the destination stickers, tapes sent to individual stations in those days were usually "bicycled" -- that is, one station would send it on to the next station, then that one would send on to the next, etc., without returning the tape to the distributor each time.  Often, the last station on the list would be able to keep the tape because after it had been through it's entire route-- (usually shipped by bus or air for speed, in order to meet airdates) --they usually didn't bother to return it to the distributor and the distributor didn't care (and wouldn't want to re-use such a well handled tape anyway).

                  Sadly, local stations often reused such tapes and recorded over them with their own local material or simply threw them away if they looked too well used. Small stations didn't have the storage room to keep very many 2" tapes (as you can see they were pretty big, especially the 60 or 90 minute ones). Also, the stations didn't have the rights to re-air the original program anyway, so keeping it was of no benefit to them. So, both distributor and stations usually regarded them as pretty much useless once they had completed their route.

                  This most likely accounts for all the destination stickers.

                  It is sad to contemplate the destruction of such material, because a well preserved 2" tape can still look AMAZINGLY good when properly reproduced (you have to do a head alignment on the quad heads before playing each individual tape ... so it takes a bit of care. Proper 2" reproduction isn't just a matter of hitting the "play" button, lol). Most of the "old look" that we associate with 2" videotapes has to do with the *camera* technology of the time and the look of the camera tubes, not the 2" tape medium.

                  The 2" analog technology was pretty amazing. Did you know that the 4 video heads on a 2" machine "float" on air, and you have to supply the machine with a source of compressed air (compressor and air tube) for it to operate. (Trivia department! lol) At least this was true of the machines we still had in the 1980s. Dealing with the compressed air was a bit of a pain ("is the compressor on?") so they may have come up with a different way on the machines still operating today. But in those days if you didn't have the air flowing, your head assembly would seize up and be ruined, which of course was a HUGE deal. So you always had to check the air first, and there was always a faint "hissing" sound (rather like a steam train, lol) in the machine room.

                  Well, dupe or not, it's fun finding treasure! :)

                  Best wishes,

                  John
                  "OTRL2"

                  -
                  -
                  -
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013
                    Thanks again for your insights into the broadcasting world, John! It's fascinating to hear from someone who knows this stuff first hand. You're probably right regarding the reels being "bicycled" about. I did little poking around online, and found out that Gerald Corwin of Minneapolis was involved in the television industry back in the day, partially as someone who sold programming to different markets. So, STRANGE PARADISE being a first-run syndicated series, it makes sense that Corwin may have been one of the guys responsible for promoting the show to various stations. It's only an educated guess, but I suspect that was his connection to Krantz Films (as he was definitely never a rightsholder of the series). Here's a link to a brief BILLBOARD article about his career, circa 1957:

                    http://books.google.com/books?id=fx4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=gerald+corwin+minneapolis&source=bl&ots=cHNcYY6s-i&sig=Kl5vFaKQPHjmAApNHRAnXjNMS1A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XIJgUZvlM4i88AT05oH4CQ&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=gerald%20corwin%20minneapolis&f=false

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                      Hi, Strangers!

                      I'm excited to announce that I've just watched the contents of the recently discovered STRANGE PARADISE 2" quadruplex tapes, and I can now say with certainty what is on them. One is, as I had already thought, an excellent copy of Episode 52. The mystery tape that is just labeled "Krantz - STRANGE PARADISE" contains an alternate print of the series' pilot. I say an alternate print because it contains MATERIAL THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE! Admittedly, this new material consists of only two small deleted scenes that total scarcely 45 seconds between them, but this footage was in neither the Drive-In Classics broadcasts NOR the Centaur Distribution VHS release of the pilot. I'm not even sure that it was ever broadcast anywhere.

                      The first sequence directly follows Alison's phone call to Dan's office, and her line, "I must speak to my sister, Mrs. Jean Paul Desmond." Previous prints cut from that line to a shot of Jean Paul standing on the landing in the Great Hall on Maljardin, holding Erica's corpse and speaking to Raxl and Dr. Menkin. This new print instead goes to a much closer shot of Jean Paul carrying Erica down the stairs, and fades to black for a commercial break. Then, the print fades back in to pick up with him on the landing addressing Raxl and Menkin.

                      The other new sequence directly follows the end of the scene in which Jean Paul is holding Erica's corpse. That scene ends with the camera pulling in tightly on Erica's face, and usually changes to a shot of Dan entering his office and asking his secretary, "Business or personal." In this new print, however, the tight shot of Erica's face fades to Dan walking down a hallway in his law firm, and encountering several people along the way. He rounds a corner, and then enters his office.

                      Obviously, neither of these sequences is particularly earth-shattering in their impact to the story, but it's still exciting to uncover deleted / extended sequences that were shot for the series. I'm really excited to have been able to archive these pieces of STRANGE PARADISE for posterity.
                      -Curt

                      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

                      > Hey, Strangers!
                      > I've already written to several of you individually about this, but I wanted to make a public announcement. As of late last week, a pair of 2" broadcast master reels from STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this one. It could be any random installment, one of the series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I wanted to share the news of the discovery with everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.
                      > -Curt

                    • Mark Taylor
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                        Curt,
                        Even at 45 seconds, I still view this as a huge discovery!!!

                        Thanks for the update!

                        Regards,
                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                          Agree 100% - this is exciting!

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                            I'm glad to hear that you guys are just as intrigued as I am by this unexpected discovery. At most, I thought the tape might contain some commercials, or a production slate marker. Had no clue that we would actually uncover "deleted scenes." Every other episode of STRANGE PARADISE that I've seen (including the 2" broadcast copy that I acquired of Episode 52) runs 22 minutes 35 seconds (or within a few seconds of that mark). This new footage in the alternate print of the pilot makes its running time about a minute longer that. Given that 22:35 was pretty much the standard for a 30 minute syndicated show at that time, I wonder if this version of the pilot was ever even broadcast. -Curt

                            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, sprules_1999 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > I've already written to several of you individually about this, but I wanted to make a public announcement. As of late last week, a pair of 2" broadcast master reels from STRANGE PARADISE were unearthed in a warehouse outside of Minneapolis. The fellow who rescued them when the warehouse was being cleared had no clue what SP is; he just thought it was senseless to destroy broadcast masters of any variety. So I was able to strike a deal with him to purchase the reels. One is explicitly labelled STRANGE PARADISE #52, so it's a fair bet that it contains Episode 52. However, the other just states "KRANTZ - STRANGE PARADISE - 30:00," so it's hard to say just what is on this one. It could be any random installment, one of the series' two "missing" episodes, or even promotional material (or outtakes). It will probably take quite some time for me to determine what this reel contains, but I wanted to share the news of the discovery with everyone. I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.

                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                              That is awesome Curt, hope to see them uploaded some day?

> [...]

                              I'll be sure to post again when there is further info.

                            • Joanna Desmond
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                                Hey Curt, Just reading this! That is awesome news!!

                                To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
                                From: strangeparadiselibrary@...
                                Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 02:26:51 +0000
                                Subject: [Strange Paradise] master recordings unearthed!