Return To Maljardin Part 4

  • debby1847
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2012
      Hi everyone here is the ending of my story. I hope you like it. I remembered to take out my page numbers this time.

      Debby

      Part 4 Confronting the Evil on Maljardin

      Emily pulls away. "I'll go help Charlene." She says and walks out of the room.
      James walks down the staircase and joins Jean Paul. "Mr. Desmond I didn't like the way that you treated me last night."
      "Last night?" Jean Paul says in puzzlement.
      "You claimed that my brother was insane and took his own life."
      "James please join me in the library; I'll try to explain what happened." Jean Paul walks across the room followed by James,
      As James passes the side door he stops. "Jean Paul what happened?"
      "I'll explain it all." Jean Paul says and James follows him into the library. Jean Paul glances around the room. "Jacques is up to more of his tricks."
      ***
      "Do you know what you're saying?" James says to Jean Paul.
      "Yes, my ancestor is able to take control of my body when I sleep. His power is growing with every night he takes control."
      "But that's not possible."
      "Then how would you explain the changes to the mansion and the outside grounds."
      "I can't."
      "James there must be a way to stop Jacques."
      "My brother said we will need the help of the Conjure Man's daughter."

      "Vangie is dead."
      "Not Vangie but Charlene. The answer to stopping Jacques is on the island or somewhere in the mansion."
      "But what, I've had the mansion and grounds rebuilt."
      "And Jacques is changing it back. Maybe I'll find the answer in these books."
      "Emily might be able to help you. She did research on the Desmond family when she was at Desmond Hall."
      There is a tap on the door and the door opens. Emily glances inside. "Breakfast is ready."
      "We'll be along in a minute.' Jean Paul says to her.
      "Emily, Jean Paul told me that you did research on the Desmond family, I want to ask you if you would help me. We think there might be something in these books that will stop Jacques."
      "I'd be happy to help."
      "Good we'll start right after breakfast."

      Jean Paul, James and Emily begin to look at the books in the library. "A lot of this information is already documented by me." Emily says as she reaches for another book.
      As the hours go by James glances up at the others. "I haven't found anything that will help."
      Jean Paul closes the book in his hand. "Why don't we stop, we missed lunch. Emily after we eat I think you should rest; you're beginning to look tired."

      After a late meal James glances around. "Where's Charlene?
      "Karl took her to the Mainland to pick up some supplies. They should be back before it gets dark. Are you done working for the night?"
      "No I'd like to work for another hour."
      "I have some work I have to take care of if you don't need help."
      "Please go ahead as I said I want to work for another hour; and I agree that Emily should get some rest."
      "Do I look that tired?" Emily asks.
      "No darling but I think you should turn in; I'll be up soon." Jean Paul says.
      "All right; then I'll say good night."
      "Good night Emily." James says as he comes to his feet as Emily stands. "Maybe I'll find a way to stop Jacques from taking control of Jean Paul tonight."
      "I hope so."
      Jean Paul gives Emily a hug and kiss. "I'll be along soon."

      Later that night James comes across a journal from the Conjure Man. `This can't be right.' He says to himself when he sees the date. `It has to be the great grandfather to Charlene and Vangie.' As he reads the journal he takes notes.
      The pirate Jacques Eloi Des Mondes arrived on the Mainland in the mid-1600s. He claimed the Island he named Maljardin for himself. There were reports of Jacques evil (murder, robbery, torture) against the people of the Mainland. He was said to be in league with the devil. A man only known as the Conjure Man was the leader of the Voodoo practices on the Mainland. Working with him was a Voodoo Priestess named Raxl. She was accompanied by a mute by the name of Quito..

      A Conjure Doll was made in the image of Jacques Eloi Des Mondes, the Conjure Man performs a Voodoo ceremony and using a silver pin drives it through the temple of the doll. It traps Jacques in another world or dimension. The portrait of Jacques supposedly contains his soul.
      "Could it be true? I heard the voice myself." James says out loud.
      Conjure Man mentions a secret or sacred temple that is located somewhere on Maljardin where the Great Serpent rules. (Check on this Great Serpent.) James adds to his notes.
      Lowering his pen he rubs his eyes and discovers that it is after midnight. He sees the room begin to fill wispy fog and senses another presence in the room. Expecting to see his brother he's surprised to see the mysterious woman from the café. "Vangie, Vangie Abbot?" He calls out.
      Her form is not solid, she doesn't answer; she turns and walks through the door.
      "Wait, please wait!" James says as he jumps to his feet and rushes to the door. He opens it; he sees her in the Great Hall.
      The woman stops and glances back then continues to glide to an alcove at the end of the Great Hall.
      As James rushes towards her she disappears. Reaching the alcove James discovers a door, when he tries the knob he finds out that the door is locked. There is a noise behind him and James spins around. Charlene is standing behind him.
      "Did you see her?" James asks.
      "See who?"
      "I think it was your sister."
      "Vangie?"

      "Yes she went through this door."
      "James you must have been dreaming."
      "No I tell you I saw her disappear through this door."
      "Charlene reaches for the doorknob. "Do you know where this door leads?"
      "No."
      "I think I do; Mrs. Desmond told me there was a crypt under the house where the Desmond family is buried." She turns the knob and the door opens.
      "I just tried that door and it was locked." James says then glances down a dark staircase.
      "I saw a flashlight in the kitchen; I'll go get it." Charlene says and rushes away.. Walking back to James Charlene flips the light on and hands it to James.
      James walks down the staircase with Charlene right behind him.
      "Do you think we should enter this part of the house?" Charlene asks.
      "Your sister wanted me to follow her but wouldn't open the door until you joined me."
      "But why?"
      "There's only one way to find out." James says as they enter a large room built of stone.
      "It is the crypt." Charlene says as she glances at the built in wall tombs. She steps closer to James.
      James shines the light around the room. "Let me get these torches lit." He says and steps away. As he gets two of them lit he glances back to see Vangie standing in front of a wall. She raises her hand and touches the wall.

      "James I see her, I see my sister." Charlene says.
      Vangie looks at her then disappears through the wall.
      James steps forward and pushes on the wall that Vangie had touched; he feels the wall move.
      Charlene joins him and between the two of them they get the passageway open.
      "I think we've found the Sacred Temple." James says. "I'll grab one of the torches; it will give us more light." He says and hands the flashlight to Charlene. After retrieving a torch James again leads the way with Charlene following him. They walk through a long tunnel into a large cavern. James glances at the floor to see a large painted pattern. In front of it is a golden staff.
      "The Serpent God's alter." Charlene says shining the flashlight on the alter across from the staff.
      James looks at a slab made of black stone. . "Charlene this a sacrificial alter."
      "Yes; my father and the followers of his religion built this Temple to fight the evil that came to their Island."
      "Charlene this alter was used for human sacrifices."
      "James I can't believe my father would do such a thing."
      "From what I read the Serpent God could only be appeased through a blood sacrifice and it had to be human."
      Charlene looks at the altar. "James look."
      He glances down to see a strange necklace. It had three circles attached vertically with a cross beam on top with another smaller circle above it; all made from bronze silver with a heavy chain threaded through the smaller circle.
      Vangie appears and points at her sister then the necklace.

      "No Vangie I don't want it."
      "You must.' Vangie says as she lifts the necklace and her form becomes solid.
      Charlene shakes her head. "No please."
      "Charlene it's the only way, you are the last of our line. If you don't do it Jacques evil will continue to spread, Jean Paul, Emily James and everyone he comes in contact with will die."
      "If she accepts will it save Jean Paul?" James asks.
      "Yes." Vangie answers.
      "Charlene please, don't let him win." James pleads.
      "But my life will never be the same." Charlene says turning away.
      "If he wins you won't have a life." Vangie says to her sister.
      With tears in her eyes Charlene turns to her sister. Vangie places the necklace over her head.
      "Now what do I do?" Charlene asks but as Vangie releases the necklace she disappears. Charlene glances at James.
      "I don't know; let's go back to the library maybe the answer is there."
      As they exit the Sacred Temple the door closes by itself.

      "Let's call it a night.' James says as he stands and stretches. It's almost four in the morning." He glances across the room to see Charlene asleep in a chair. "Charlene wake up." He says as he walks across the room and shakes her shoulder.

      She stirs and opens her eyes. "We're done for tonight go up and get some sleep."
      She tries to stand and stumbles; James helps her up and walks with her to her room.
      As she steps into her room James stops her. "Don't take the necklace off even to sleep."
      "Why?"
      "It's just a feeling I have, I think it weakens Jacques Eloi Des Mondes powers."
      "All right, good night James."
      "Good night Charlene." James says and walks to his room. As he enters the room thunder rumbles and lighting flashes outside his window.

      As the sun comes up Jean Paul wakes to find himself in his own bed. "Emily wake up, something has changed. I don't feel so drained of energy this morning.'
      Emily sits up. "What do you think happened?"
      He wraps his arms around her. "Let's get dressed and talk to the others."
      Emily kisses him and slips out of bed.

      As they enter the hallway they see Charlene just leaving her room. "Good morning Jean Paul, Emily I'll go down and start breakfast."
      "I'll go with you and help." Emily says.

      As Charlene begins to walk past him jean Paul touches her arm. "Where did you get that necklace?"
      "Vangie gave it to me. James thinks there is something in the library that can contain Jacques Eloi Des Mondes soul."
      "You mean destroy him." Emily says.
      "No he can't be destroyed but he can be drained of his power and contained."
      "How?" Jean Paul asks.
      "I don't know." Charlene says and walks past Jean Paul fo9llowed by Emily.
      Jean Paul walks in the opposite direction to James room and taps on the door.
      James opens the door.
      "The girls are preparing breakfast. Charlene told me you might have a way to stop Jacques."
      "It's just a feeling I have that the answer is in the library."
      "The four of us will begin working in the library after breakfast."
      "I'll join you after I get dressed." James says and turns back into his room.

      After breakfast James, Charlene and Emily enter the library.
      Emily glances out the door to see Jean Paul pulling on his jacket. "Jean Paul where are you going?"
      "Karl mentioned there was a problem with the crew he hired."
      Emily joins him. "Darling can you blame them for wanting to quit and go back to the Mainland. Look what Jacques did to the Island."

      "Emily, Jean Paul; come quick." Charlene calls from the library doorway.
      They join her and James inside the library.
      "Look what James found, six journals from my father." Charlene says.
      James passes them out.
      "Where did you find these? I filled the library myself and there were no journals." Jean Paul says.
      "In the file cabinet."
      "All that is stored in there are the receipts for the restoration of the island and mansion."
      "Either Vangie or my father placed them there." Charlene says as she takes a seat behind the desk.
      "I'll get another chair." Jean Paul says as Emily and James sit in the side chairs. Carrying in a kitchen chair Jean Paul places it next to Emily and begins to read over the journal in his hand.
      "Listen to this." Emily says. They glance over at her. "I call upon the power of the Serpent God to bind this person, draining him of his power and sending his soul into the dark abyss. So deep and dark that your Master cannot reach you. There's more but I can't make it out."
      "Do you think this is what we're looking for?" James asks.
      "Look at my necklace." Charlene says. They look over at her to see the necklace glow a deep red.
      "Jean Paul it's up to you, do you think we should try it?" James asks.
      Emily turns the page. "Look at this."

      They crowd around her to look at the journal. A drawing of the staff with a serpent coiled around it is shown on the page.
      "If I'm right the staff must be drawn and circled in salt upon the floor in front of the person or thing the spell is to contain." Charlene says.
      "Well Jean Paul?" James asks.
      "Let's get started." Jean Paul says to everyone.
      Emily finds chalk in the desk and walks out into the Great Hall with the journal in her hand. She hands the chalk to Charlene who draws a picture of the staff on the floor in front of Jacques portrait while James and Jean Paul collect boxes of salt from the kitchen. James walks in a circle around the chalk drawing poring salt on the floor, as Jean Paul pushes furniture out of the way to give them more room.
      "From this picture the Priest stands at the top of the staff with the others on each side and one at the bottom." Charlene says.
      "There are only four of us." Jean Paul says.
      "We'll do what we can." Charlene says and takes her place in front of Jacques portrait. Jean Paul stands across from her and James and Emily on one side.
      They all face the portrait. James and Emily begin to read together. "We call upon the power of the Serpent God to bind Jacques Eloi des Mondes soul; draining him of his powers and sending him to the dark abyss. An abyss so deep and dark that his Master cannot reach him."
      Jean Paul cries out and collapses.
      "Jean Paul!" Emily cries out.
      They rush over to Jean Paul. "Is he…" Emily asks with tears in her eyes as James checks him over.

      "He's still alive Emily, but his heart rate has slowed and his respiration is low. He seems to be in a coma. Help me get him to the sofa." James says.
      Between the three of them they place Jean Paul on the sofa.
      "Emily let me look at that journal." Charlene says.
      Emily passes the journal to her.
      Charlene reads over the previous page then notices the words at the bottom. "Emily stay here with Jean Paul, James please come with me."
      "Where?"
      "To find something." She says as they step away from Emily and Jean Paul. "James, how was Jacques bound the last time?"
      "A conjure doll."
      "We have to find it and we don't have much time. If I'm right we just sentenced Jean Paul to the fate that we planned for Jacques."
      "Can we reverse it?"
      "No but the spell wasn't done right. Jacques pushed Jean Paul into the abyss because we had nothing to bind him with. Because of the link Jean Paul has to Jacques he took his place."
      "Where do we look for the conjure doll?" James asks.
      "I was hoping you could tell me. James I need you to concentrate."
      "On what?"
      "I need you to use your ability to see the spirit world."
      James closes his eyes and stands still. When he opens his eyes he sees a flickering light near the door to the crypt. He walks to the door with Charlene following and reaches for the knob to find the door unlocked. Opening the door he sees the flickering light at the bottom of the stairs.
      Entering the crypt he walks to a wooden beam and pushes on the side of it. A hidden chamber opens; he reaches inside and pulls something out.
      "The Conjure doll." Charlene says and glances into the chamber. "There's something else inside, it looks like a necklace." Charlene lifts it out to find a long silver chain. "Look it has the head of a snake at one end the tail at the other end. It's got to be the missing part of the spell."
      "We need to get back upstairs." James says.
      Charlene hands him the chain and takes the Conjure doll; they rush back to the Great Hall.
      "James Jean Paul's breathing is becoming labored and I can't feel a heartbeat!" Emily cries out.
      "Emily we have to finish now." Charlene says.
      Emily stands with tears in her eyes and walks over to the chalked symbol with the journal in her hand.
      Charlene takes her place with Emily on her side with James taking Jean Paul's place.
      Emily begins to read from the journal. Charlene raises the doll. "We call upon the power of the Serpent God to bind Jacques Eloi Des Mondes soul, draining him of his power; sending him to the dark abyss. An abyss so deep and dark that his Master cannot reach him."
      James joins Charlene and wraps the chain around the doll.
      The sound of Jacques screams echo around the room and his imager in the portrait fades.
      "Emily?" Jean Paul says as he sits up with his hand to his head..
      "Jean Paul." Emily says and rushes over to him followed by James and Charlene.

      "What happened?" He asks glancing around as he comes to his feet.
      "You almost died." Emily says as she steps into his arms.
      Jean Paul glances up at the portrait.
      "It worked Jean Paul." James says.
      Jean Paul notices the Conjure Doll in Charlene's hand. "Where did you get that?"
      "Either Vangie or my father sent it to us. What do we do with it now?" Charlene asks.
      James glances behind him to see Vangie appear. "Give it to me." He says to Charlene.
      Charlene hands it to him and he carries it across the room.
      Vangie holds out her hands. James places it in her hands and she disappears.
      "I saw her, I saw your sister." Emily says as she looks at Charlene then James.
      "So did I." Charlene says. The room begins to shimmer.
      "Jean Paul it's changed back." Emily says as the walls turn back the lighter colors.
      James steps to the library. "The library is back also."
      Jean Paul places his arm around Emily's shoulder and they walk to the side door. He opens it. "It's over."
      Charlene joins them. "Thank God with the help of my father and sister." She says when she sees the outside with flowers blooming and the grass green once again. The fountain flowing.

      James watches them then turns when he senses something behind him. He watches as his brother appears. "Goodby my brother, you did well." Matt says then disappears.
      "Goodby Matt." James says quietly then joins the others.

      The End.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2012
        Congratulations, Debby, on finishing your story! I look forward to reading it.

        Have a Joyous Holiday season and a wonderful New Year!