Avant Maljardin - Part 2

  • batyah_9
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
      "Coachman, leave M'sieur D'Argent at his home. It's in a few blocks," Jacques told the carriage driver after being completely silent and lost in thought since the Palace.

      "So, you are going to keep what the King wanted a secret?" Gaston asked.

      "Just for a while, mon frère. I have some thinking to do." Jacques said flatly. "You will know soon enough."

      "Don't forget, there is a meeting late tomorrow," Gaston said as the carriage pulled up in front of his home, just a couple blocks from Chez Des Mondes. He had learned from past experience not to push Jacques for information. He would know soon enough.

      "I won't." Jacques signaled the driver to continue on to his home and horses clattered forward.

      Once at his door, Jacques got out thanking the driver and telling him to convey his thanks to the King's secretary for the ride. The carriage clattered away and Jacques turned to his door only to see Suzanne O'Claire sitting on the steps. She had on a pretty but simple gown; almost underdressed for this part of Paris, if Jacques hadn't known her better.

      Jacques let out a huge, audible sigh. "What do you want little one? Why are you here?"

      "You have something that is mine, Jacques" Suzanne said standing up on confronting Jacques.

      "I have nothing of yours, Suzanne."

      "I saw you take ashes from the fire. Ashes belonging to my fiancé. They are mine and I want them" Suzanne demanded.

      "Your eyes must have deceived you, Suzanne. I have nothing like that. Now run along like a good petite fille and find a new playmate," Jacques said flippantly, waving a lace handkerchief at her and continuing up the stairs.

      "You are a liar! You lie, Jacques! You lied about Philippe and you are lying now. You have those ashes, I saw you." Suzanne became belligerent.

      "Your anger is very alluring, Suzanne but I do not have them. And this is the last time I am telling you. So unless you want to come in and warm my bed I suggest you leave, lest I have you thrown out." Jacques continued up the stairs, into the house and slammed the door behind him.

      Suzanne pounded on the door. Raxl came up the hall to answer it and Jacques told her "it's that bothersome O'Claire girl. Get rid of her, Raxl and make sure she stays away."

      "A curse on your head! A curse on you forever, Jacques Eloi Des Mondes!" Suzanne's threats came through the door. "This will be on your head for eternity! You are a liar and a murderer!"

      Jacques looked at Raxl, handed her his cape and went into the sitting room to right of the door. He heard Raxl open the door and have words with Suzanne but he did not care. Moments later he caught Suzanne through the window, tromping down the street like a petulant child.

      He reached for the wine decanter and a small glass. Pouring himself a drink he sat down. He was still stunned from his meeting with the King and growing angry. Raxl glanced into the room and reading his mood, decided to continue away down the hall.

      `Is the King exiling me? Is that what this is?' he thought. `Is he is being true about the gossip at court and people trying to make my life difficult? Does he know about the spell the coven and I put on the court to conceal our membership? Or perhaps it's the King who can't handle the contretemps!'

      Jacques got up and got more wine, `The root of it is I have no choice,' he thought. `I have to leave and I won't know what to do until I get there. But I have some time and have to see a way to use this to my best advantage. I have to position things so that I have the upper hand here. I don't want Louis to turn my home in the New World into an Inn for his friends wishing a bit of adventure and free lodgings. Maybe there are riches to be plucked in the New World. There is a great deal of shipping to that area. And if Louis wants an outpost there, I might request militia at my disposal. One that I choose!"

      Jacques walked to the window and looked out on the street. "Paris, you are my home. But I will have the merry life I deserve either way. I don't like anyone telling me what to do, even if it is the King. This may be a chance to plow fresh, fertile fields. I have time… I have time…" he said aloud.

      Jacques finished the wine and went up to see his Mother. Tapping on her door, he called "Mere bien-aimee, it is your son."

      "Jacques!" his mother called. Jacques opened the door to see his mother on her couch, flanked by her two best friends in matching chairs. They looked like two crows to him.

      "Mesdames…" Jacques bowed.

      "Wait downstairs, my darlings, while I speak with my son." Madame Des Mondes said. At that her friends excused themselves from the room, nodding to Jacques. He looked to make sure they had made their way downstairs until he closed the door. He turned. His mother was in subdued attire of dark gray satin with only silver chain in her hair, which was more simply fixed than usual. She had champagne opened on the side table and there were three used flutes next to the bottle.

      "Mother," said Jacques coming to her side and kissing her hand.

      "Oh Jacques, we have been through a terrible time have we not? Yet we still have each other," said his Mother. "I hear you were at the palace today. Is everything all right? Was that Suzanne I heard cursing you?"

      "Word seems to travel quicker than I" said Jacques. "Yes, Maman, everything is fine. Suzanne and I never saw eye to eye. The poor, deluded child still blames me for the demise of her beloved. Now, to answer your first question, the King was checking on my well-being apparently. He sends his love and this," Jacques reached into his doublet and pulled out the packet wrapped in gold silk.

      His Mother took it and turned it over. "Louis and I are past the times of sending each other tokens of love." She unfastened it and opened it on her lap. There was a beautiful silver pendant inlay with a sparkling blue topaz. Philippe's birthstone. On the back was the King's insignia. There was a small note which she opened that asked her to come for lunch to Versailles the following day.

      "It seems Louis wishes to see me too, Jacques. Anything I should know before I go?"

      Jacques smiled, "No, Maman – the King merely wishes to see you. Check that you are all right. You do still love him, don't you?"

      "Always," said Jacques mother. "But make no mistake; I love your father still, as well. I don't know what that makes me. A fool probably."

      "No, Maman. Just a beautiful woman," said Jacques, rising and kissing her hand. He knew flattering his mother would satisfy her enough to stop asking questions temporarily. "I am going to lie down, ma Mere. I feel very drained."

      "Jacques, you poor thing! This has all been so horrible for us. But I know the Des Mondes name is safe with you. You sleep, my child," said his mother. "I will have Raxl send my reply to the Palace."

      Jacques kissed her cheek, bowed and left the room. Upon taking the stairs he called down in an impertinent voice, "Ladies, ma Mere and her perch are free for your winged return!" and quickly got to his room, closing the door behind him. He knew it was crude but his mother's friends were more like leeches to him; chasing gossip and wine.

      Jacques removed his doublet and sash and laid it on a chair. He restarted the fire in the small fireplace at the end of his room and jumped on his bed, bouncing on his back. He laughed to himself. `So much to think about, so many plans to make' he thought. `And no more Suzanne LaClaire pounding on my door, no more of my mother's vultures sniffing around, no more Court spies watching my every move,' he thought.

      He rolled to one side and opened one of the drawers in his nightstand removing a small locked box. Jacques pushed aside part of the carving on his headboard to reveal a small hiding place with a key. He opened the box. In it was an amulet with an upside down pentagram on one side and the Mark of Death on the other. "You will be there with me" he said to it, "A whole new place for you and me to control, corrupt and have some fun." At that he locked the amulet back in the box, returned the key to its hiding place and the box to his night side table. Rolling back, he looked out the window. It was night already. Within a few moments, sleep overtook him.

      Jacques awoke to see the sun seeping around the heavy drapes on his window. He went to the washbasin off the door to his room. Splashed his face and dried it with a towel. He pulled the bellcord and within minutes, Raxl appeared at his door.

      "Yes, Master?" she said.

      "What is for breakfast, Raxl?" asked Jacques as he put on his doublet.

      "Breakfast? Master, it is lunchtime!" said Raxl with a stern look.

      "Ah! Then my Mother has left for the palace?" said Jacques, looking himself over in the mirror.

      "Oui, Master."

      "Then get me some breakfast. I don't care that it's afternoon. Some warm porridge, kippers and warm bread?" said Jacques in an overly sweet tone.

      "Oui, Master," Raxl turned to leave and stopped herself, turning back. "Master, may I ask something?"

      "Go ahead, Raxl" said Jacques looking at her, hands on his hips ready for a verbal sparring match.

      "I received today a letter from the Palace. Is there something going on I should know about?" asked Raxl.

      "Do you want me to read it to you, Raxl? I know your reading and writing are still limited" said Jacques condescendingly.

      "No, Master. One of the other servants will read it to me. I just wondered…" Raxl started. Jacques cut her off.

      "Don't trust me, Raxl?" said Jacques, with a smirk.

      Raxl avoided his question, "I am just concerned there is something I should know about. I am loyal to the Des Mondes and protect this family always."

      "No, Raxl. Nothing horrible is in the letter. We can speak after you… uh, read it" Jacques smiled. "Now go get my breakfast together, I'm famished!"

      "Yes, Master" Raxl left quickly.

      Jacques opened his drapes and windows and leaned out taking a giant breath of air. "Paris, I need to savor you while I still can. But I am busy today! I want to get things in motion for my upcoming departure and have some rest before tonight's gathering."

      Jacques withdrew the amulet from its box and put the key and box away. Tucking the amulet safely into his doublet he proceeded down to the dining room which was below his own room.

      Sunlight streamed in the long windows making the silverware glisten on the table. Jacques poured himself some juice, looked around to make sure Raxl wasn't watching, and grabbed a nearby bottle of liquor, adding a good amount to his juice. He took a sip and smiled.

      Raxl entered with a large tray. She set a bowl of porridge, a small plate of hot kippers and 3 large slices of warm, buttery bread with a carafe of coffee, some milk and sugar and a mug down. Jacques sat down and with a wave dismissed her and dug into the breakfast. "No more lying in bed," he said to himself. "I must busy myself with arrangements and investigate the possibilities for myself in the New World."

      As soon as he finished he pulled the bell cord to signal he was done, quickly left the dining room and breezed out the side door. Walking back to the small stable the groom saw him coming and immediately started to saddle his horse. "You should have told me you were going out today, Master Des Mondes" said Henri. Henri had been taking care of the horses and small carriage the Des Mondes used.

      "Master Des Mondes?" asked Henri.

      "Yes?," said Jacques helping strap the saddle on.

      "What should be done with Master Philippe's horse and saddle?" asked Henri.

      "Put out the word that his horse is for sale. And pack the saddle and his tack, Henri. I will need them…. Later" said Jacques getting on the horse and heading away. Henri was stunned. But he knew better than to pry with Master Jacques. In fact, Henri felt it was better to not know where Jacques was concerned.

      Raxl listened carefully as Charlotte read her the note. Charlotte was the washing maid, in charge of daily wash as well as shipping off seasonal clothing to the Caribbean for it to be cleaned and shipped back. Raxl, as a girl, had worked at one of the cleaning stations and was fascinated by the ornate garments she saw come from Paris to be cleaned. Charlotte made notes as to what was shipped and made sure everything came back in good order.

      "Mistress Le'Twaire" the note started. "His Majesty, Louis XIV has offered to your Master, Monsieur Jacques Eloi Des Mondes, property in the Caribbean for his personal use. Monsieur Des Mondes will be taking up residence there and the Crown requests you accompany him as his housekeeper and to inform him about the region, as you are a native."

      Raxl smiled. "Merci, Charlotte." Raxl took the note and slipped it into her pocket.

      "You are leaving us, Mistress?" Charlotte asked

      "Yes, my child. You will be fine. I am very happy to be going home to see my family and my fiancé, Quito. I can be with my people and serve Monsieur Des Mondes as well." Raxl said. "And,' thought Raxl quietly, `I can use my powers there to keep Monsieur in check. I have things I can conjure him to do for me. No one will question a French gentleman. And he will have no choice but to do as I will.'

      Raxl smiled as she walked back to her quarters. She would have to ask Jacques when they were leaving. This was an answer to her supplications to the Serpent God. She missed home and being here after testifying for the Des Mondes family at the High Court made her uneasy. Viscount LeComte, her Master's grandfather, had already come and asked if she knew any more about the coven. She knew both the Viscount and Jacques were members but she had lied to keep their secret and hers. Raxl thought of the looks she got when she made her weekly visits to order bread at the baker or meats from the butcher. She had already changed her manner of dress since she first arrived in France, but that did not seem to help. She was tired of being an outsider. Neither did she not want to reveal what she knew, or the document she hid and this would allow her a comfortable exit from the curious and suspicious in Paris.

      to be continued....
    • Debby Graham
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
        Hi Barbara, thank you for continuing the story. .You mentioned some of the
        episodes should have been done to a conclusion instead of leaving the
        audience guessing. I know this makes it difficult to work on a story. I
        usually have to review some of the scenes for my stories but a lot of times
        I can't find what I want. I guess that's where our imagination comes in.

        Debby

      • batyah_9
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          Not just done to a conclusion as much as the back-story fleshed out. As I said that's where DS did a great job and people got more invested in the characters & their motivations made more sense.

          I understand about reviewing scenes but there are holes in so many of them, particularly Desmond Hall. It just seemed the two story arcs went in such different directions to tie up loose ends.

          Barbara

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2012
            Hi Barbara,

            The problem with SP is that the backstory, and a lot of the continuity, was changed or outright abolished during the final 13 week story arc on the show. I think in some ways that the period around the time of the Key of Life and Susan's arrival was when the show "jumped the shark." I still enjoy watching it, especially for the performances by Colin, Cosette, Jack Creley and a couple of the other regulars (Pat Moffatt is a personal favorite), but the abrupt changes in some of the characters, what their past actions and loyalties had been, etc. makes it difficult at times to take seriously (just speaking personally).

            I haven't had time to read your entire story but it seems you are trying to reconcile the earlier version of the continuity with the later stuff given out in the last 13 weeks. I think one of the problems was that most of the shows during the last couple of months were written by someone who did not seem to have the required knack for writing strong supernatural drama. Sometimes these episodes are like watching a tennis match as the same ball bounces back and forth again and again with the same dialogue, barely rewritten scenes, etc. anything to fill up the content of another half hour.

            Just giving my views... I do admire you for trying to perform what I would call "salvage work" on the final period of the series!

            Best, Steve
            -
          • batyah_9
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
              You are right, Steve.

              I'm going to reconcile what makes sense to me. And give more back story; which is - as I said - where some of the show fell down.

              Now I'm even more glad I missed the last 50 shows when I was 15. ;)

              Barbara

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 24, 2012
                Thanks for sharing your work here, Barbara. I look forward to reading more.

                Wishing you all the best for the holidays and a very happy New Year!

                Sincerely,