Getting 'squirrely'

  • batyah_9
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15 7:07 AM
      I am up to ep 165 in my watch-thru. Things have really changed and wow, is Raxl getting squirrely!

      I've said it before - I'm almost glad I didn't see this as a teenager and only saw the Maljardin arc.

      B.
    • ron.bella.daisy@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15 7:37 AM
        Raxl's character was given a drastic change that really was totally out of character. What were the writers thinking?
        Sent from my BlackBerry� by Boost Mobile

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15 12:47 PM
          Yeah. I didn't see anything after the end of Maljardin until I was in my 40s. I still enjoy it till the end but I think the period after the Key of Life/Time story (that big old ankh that keeps making people flip out) really jumped the shark. There are some good moments, such as a particular scene between Irene and Ada that I love, and lots of great Lazlo stuff, and Colin and Cosette as always are marvelous, but the writing... ugh. It gets really repetitive and completely violates the established continuity of the series which they had been careful to maintain in the first Desmond Hall arc.

          I also don't find the characters of Julian or Susan to work AT ALL. Goodyer seems particularly wooden and uncomfortable in the role of Julian. Susan is supposed to be a mystic but just comes across as scatterbrained. You get the feeling that everyone involved was out of their depth and flying blind except for a couple of the old pros such as Colin, Cosette and Creley.

          Anyhow I have ranted long enough about this... still glad I have the episodes!

          Enjoy!

          Steve
          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, batyah_9 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I am up to ep 165 in my watch-thru. Things have really changed and wow, is Raxl getting squirrely!
          >
          > I've said it before - I'm almost glad I didn't see this as a teenager and only saw the Maljardin arc.
          >
          > B.

        • batyah_9
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15 9:56 PM
            Yes this the first of the Desmond Hall arc I have seen. I saw all the Maljardin episodes when I was 15-16.

            You're right that many of the actors seem totally out of their depth or a bad fit. Colin, Cosette & Creley are awesome and consistent. I also think Neil Dainard is great and has been a great fit and helped glue some odd writing turns together. (Aside from almost cracking up Colin a few times)

            Susan comes off like a complete airhead (and just when we thought we got rid of Holly-itis!) The Egyptian key was odd - all it did was explain where one character went. And the about face on Jacques is just so hard to take. Also, using music rather than costumes really is disconcerting. DS did those costume flashbacks that tooks months and personally I think it helped keep people interested.

            It's just watching the wagons circle at this point. I miss Ian Martin writing of Jacques' flippant commentary to bring some lightness into thing. And they've mixed so many spiritual beliefs now it's crazy.

            BTW - was watching some PSI Factor a while back. There was an episode where Colin as Dr. Hendricks made a comment about having been 'in the islands some years back' and some cute eye-rolling when he said 'voodoo beliefs can be very confusing and dangerous.' Just made me laugh in light of SP.

            But yes, so addicting - I will probably watch it thru again once I finish the first go round.

            B.