Re: DS Movie

  • Oldtime Radio
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
      >It's too bad Burton et al finds it necessary to pander to today's glitz->obsessed viewers by slamming the show as "awful" ....

      Yes, Steve, and what struck me in watching the first trailer was that they obviously think they must sell it as a comedy/spoof, as if ONLY a comedy or a slasher film (the two ends of the "horror" spectrum, if you will) will sell.

      The implication of the trailers containing only the comedic elements is that the marketers think that the current generation of moviegoers will not buy anything in the middle (that is, a well done "serious" gothic/romance/horror/suspense story.).

      In other words, if it's not LITERALLY *outrageous* in some way, forget it.

      And the really sad thing is that they could be absolutely right (about what will sell to today's generation).

      I loved the Burton/Depp ED WOOD because the style and approach of that fit in with Wood, even if some of the specifics were invented or exaggerated. Even if some things weren't exactly "true", the tone was consistent with the subject.

      But to do this (what we are seeing in the trailers) to DS is to make it something that it clearly wasn't.

      I expect to find the film interesting, but I really don't expect to like it based on what I've seen.

      I guess in the back of my mind I'm having some trouble reconciling Depp (and Burton's) supposed reverence for the original with what they (apparently) have done to it.

      However, OTOH, it is fair to observe that whomever has the final say in the trailers is clearly selling the comedy, and it ~could~ turn out that comedy is only a small factor in the final film. It wouldn't be the first time that a purposeful mis-emphasis was created in trailers. It's all about $$$ and, specifically, getting that first rush of viewers into the theatres on opening weekend. After that, it will live or die by word of mouth.

      John

      -
      -
      -
    • Van Reid
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2012
        On the whole, I would say that Burton has been much more successful with
        projects he originated. His movies are always interesting to look at, but I
        think Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure,
        and Big Fish are all a good deal more successful than his Batman films, Mars
        Attacks, Planet of the Apes, or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I haven't seen
        Sweeney Todd, so I can't vouch one way or another regarding it, but I'm
        guessing Dark Shadows will be a case in point. That said, it will certainly
        be a feast for the eyes. I will probably put it along such wrong turns as
        Robert Downey's Sherlock Holmes - an entertaining film, but certainly not
        Holmes. (The modernized Holmes of the recent BBC series is much more in
        character and true to the spirit of Doyle's stories, though it's hard to
        beat either Rathbone or Brett in the part.) I will probably see this "Dark
        Shadows" when it comes out on DVD, possibly even enjoy it on some level (if
        only the visual), but set it aside as a kind of irrelevancy to the original,
        which still lives - beloved warts and all - unchanged.

        Van

        _____

        >It's too bad Burton et al finds it necessary to pander to today's
        glitz->obsessed viewers by slamming the show as "awful" ....

        Yes, Steve, and what struck me in watching the first trailer was that they
        obviously think they must sell it as a comedy/spoof, as if ONLY a comedy or
        a slasher film (the two ends of the "horror" spectrum, if you will) will
        sell.

        The implication of the trailers containing only the comedic elements is that
        the marketers think that the current generation of moviegoers will not buy
        anything in the middle (that is, a well done "serious"
        gothic/romance/horror/suspense story.).

        In other words, if it's not LITERALLY *outrageous* in some way, forget it.

        And the really sad thing is that they could be absolutely right (about what
        will sell to today's generation).

        I loved the Burton/Depp ED WOOD because the style and approach of that fit
        in with Wood, even if some of the specifics were invented or exaggerated.
        Even if some things weren't exactly "true", the tone was consistent with the
        subject.

        But to do this (what we are seeing in the trailers) to DS is to make it
        something that it clearly wasn't.

        I expect to find the film interesting, but I really don't expect to like it
        based on what I've seen.

        I guess in the back of my mind I'm having some trouble reconciling Depp (and
        Burton's) supposed reverence for the original with what they (apparently)
        have done to it.

        However, OTOH, it is fair to observe that whomever has the final say in the
        trailers is clearly selling the comedy, and it ~could~ turn out that comedy
        is only a small factor in the final film. It wouldn't be the first time that
        a purposeful mis-emphasis was created in trailers. It's all about $$$ and,
        specifically, getting that first rush of viewers into the theatres on
        opening weekend. After that, it will live or die by word of mouth.

        John

        -
        -
        -

        _____

        size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#a0a0a0" align=center>

        No virus found in this message.

      • Oldtime Radio
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2012
          >I will probably see this "Dark
          >Shadows" when it comes out on DVD, possibly even enjoy it on some level (if
          >only the visual), but set it aside as a kind of irrelevancy to the original,
          >which still lives - beloved warts and all - unchanged.

          Well said, Van! That sums it up very well. :)

          I expect that the new movie will seem (to me) a separate thing, perhaps interesting, but unchallenging to the still powerful original.

          John

          -
          -
          -
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2012
            Well on the upside if you read the article somebody posted, the movie is bringing lots of good things from the old show.  We finally get to see the full version of the Night of Dark Shadows movie along with the release of House of Dark Shadows on DVD.  Some new books and whatever surprise Kathryn Scott said is coming.  This same thing happened with the release of the Lost in Space movie, a major resurgence in interest in the old series along with lots of new merchandise(which outsold the movie merchandise by double).  Though this movie is a far larger tragedy then the LIS one was.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2012
              > the movie is bringing lots of good things from the old show.

              Yes, that's a good point, Scott. It would be wonderful if the interest generated by the new film would get the original series showing again on a major network. It always baffles me why SoapNet doesn't pick up DS and SP. They seem to be struggling for programming these days (they are filling in with movies and reality stuff, neither of which is their mandate).

              Of course I know the answer. It's that they think today's younger viewers wouldn't watch DS or SP because they aren't "cool" enough.

              Maybe if the Depp movie is successful they will give that a re-think.

              John

              ---

              1b. Re: DS Movie
              >     Posted by: "Scott" crmfghtr@...
              > crmfghtr
              >     Date: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm ((PDT))
              >
              > Well on the upside if you read the article somebody posted,
              > the movie is bringing lots of good things from the old show.
              >  We finally get to see the full version of the Night of
              > Dark Shadows movie along with the release of House of Dark
              > Shadows on DVD.  Some new books and whatever surprise
              > Kathryn Scott said is coming.  This same thing happened
              > with the release of the Lost in Space movie, a major
              > resurgence in interest in the old series along with lots of
              > new merchandise(which outsold the movie merchandise by
              > double).  Though this movie is a far larger tragedy then
              > the LIS one was.

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2012
                I was thinking the same thing.  With most of the soaps being cancelled the Soap network would do well to mine gems like Dark Shadows.  I wonder just how well SP and DS would do on the Soap network, we/they might be surprised.  Lets face it, there is nothing fantastic about any general soap opera, but the fact that you get sucked in to the characters and simply want to see what happens to them once you get into the storyline.  Now add the supernatural qualities of DS and SP to the mix, and todays viewer might be twice as likely to watch, even if it is older, its still cool!

                ________________________________
                > the movie is bringing lots of good things from the old show.

                Yes, that's a good point, Scott. It would be wonderful if the interest generated by the new film would get the original series showing again on a major network. It always baffles me why SoapNet doesn't pick up DS and SP. They seem to be struggling for programming these days (they are filling in with movies and reality stuff, neither of which is their mandate).

                Of course I know the answer. It's that they think today's younger viewers wouldn't watch DS or SP because they aren't "cool" enough.

                Maybe if the Depp movie is successful they will give that a re-think.

                John

                ---

                1b. Re: DS Movie
                >     Posted by: "Scott" crmfghtr@...
                > crmfghtr
                >     Date: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > Well on the upside if you read the article somebody posted,
                > the movie is bringing lots of good things from the old show.
                >  We finally get to see the full version of the Night of
                > Dark Shadows movie along with the release of House of Dark
                > Shadows on DVD.  Some new books and whatever surprise
                > Kathryn Scott said is coming.  This same thing happened
                > with the release of the Lost in Space movie, a major
                > resurgence in interest in the old series along with lots of
                > new merchandise(which outsold the movie merchandise by
                > double).  Though this movie is a far larger tragedy then
                > the LIS one was.

              • Brian C
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2012
                  DS used to be showed on Sci Fi channel years ago (before it became ScyFy *rolls eyes*), that would also be a good fit.
                  Soapnet pretty obviously doesn't give a damn about soaps, since they've stopped airing classic soap reruns in favor of One Tree Hill and other non-soap shows.