Score Productions

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
      According to Score Productions web page, they got their start with
      The Doctors theme (written by Bob Israel, Score's founder and still-
      president) in 1963. I'm guessing that Bob Israel wrote the SP
      theme. According to Score's history, he was the guiding force behind
      their early 1960's compositions.
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2003
        I loved the music on SP. It just fit the scenes. I do do feel however
        that the theme and opening sequence seemed kind of out of place when
        the story moves to Desmond Hall. The theme was obviously based on the
        tropical characteristics of Maljardin and, to a lesser degree, Port
        French-Leave.

        Did anyone notice that towards the end of STRANGE PARADISE's run that
        the series mimicked DARK SHADOWS' way of crediting the actors? They
        would only show the actors who appeared on that day's episode. In all
        the prior episodes, the whole cast was listed, or certain cast
        members were credited. It wasn't based on appearance.

        Also, when Robert Costello came on, didn't the episodes begin with
        the last moments of the previous episode ala DARK SHADOWS. Of course,
        the opening narration was also added during this time. When was the
        narration dropped?
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2003
          I agree 100%! The theme song seemed strangely out of place after the
          escape from Maljardin. The rest of the music was fabulous!
        • whispofmemory1980
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
            I have yet to see any of the Desmond Hall episodes but what does the carousel music sound like? Is that original or something familiar to audiences like a classical piece?

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
              Hi Rachel,

              The carousel theme was original. In my notes somewhere I have the name of the guy remembered by a couple of surviving folks from the production crew as having been "Score productions." It's still not clear to me how many of the cues for the series were original compositions and how many were "library tracks," but I'm pretty sure the carousel theme (which had a distinct music-box flavor to it) was original.

              Believe it or not, the use of the ghostly toy carousel on SP predated the same motif on DS by about 7 months.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                Steve,

                Thanks for sharing that info! It's nice to know that there is actual
                evidence of SP predating some things of DS. It gives us something to say to
                all the ones who say that SP is just some DS rip-off. :-)

                -Rachel

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2011
                  Hi Rachel,

                  you're welcome! I think Curt wrote an entire article comparing DS and SP; if I'm remembering correctly, you can read it on www.maljardin.com. There were a number of things that set SP apart from DS. The original concept by Ian Martin was really very different from the premise of DS. SP treated the supernatural and magical powers rather differently from DS, including characters such as Raxl (the original concept of the character) and Philip who were both Priest/esses of indigenous religions that were not from "the Devil" but simply radically different from Christianity with its monotheism and its moral code.

                  The resemblances between the two series are largely superficial. They are both very much in the tradition of the florid Gothic dramas of the 19th century updated for 1960s sensibilities, but beyond that shared foundation and ancestry, each has very different series of stories to tell.