Featured link - Neil Dainard on radio

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
      Hey there, Strangers! Since there has been a bit of discussion of radio drama lately, I thought it would be the perfect time to post this little tidbit:

      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8E8_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=PVIMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3145,4224416&dq=neil-dainard+radio&hl=en

      Check out the article titled "Inter-Galactic Gung-Ho" from Page 82 of the 1/27/79 edition of THE WINDSOR STAR. Not only was Neil Dainard as dashing figure on earthly tv screens, but he conquered radio airwaves as outer space's intrepid hero Johnny Chase. Enjoy! -Curt
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
        It took me a few minutes (especially since these eps are not supposed to be
        available anywhere) but here are some of the Johnny Chase eps:

        http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=3643

        But am the only one that didn't find Neil Dainard all that dashing? He
        annoyed the heck out of me as Cousin Philip...plus I thought it was silly to
        have him play two characters named Philip in the same timeline. Yes, they
        had various characters like that in DS but it was less confusing there IMO.

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
          Kudos on locating episodes of JOHNNY CHASE, Rachel! They sound like goofy fun.

          Regarding Neil Dainard and Philip Desmond, to each their own. I understand your sentiments in finding Cousin Philip occasionally annoying, but I wound up rather liking the character all in all. Typically, I hate comparing STRANGE PARADISE with DARK SHADOWS, but I'll beg forgiveness for doing it in this case. I always found Cousin Philip to be the SP equivalent of Quentin Collins. He's not always lovable, but ultimately he's a pretty good guy to have in your corner. Of course, I think both Philip (the brother) and Philip (the cousin) suffered from inconsistent writing. It would have been nice to have a unified vision of who the character was supposed to be (especially Philip the "ghost"), instead of the erratic interpretations that stemmed from multiple writers cobbling the stories together. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts. -Curt

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
            Hehe definitely goofy fun. I tried listening to two different eps but
            couldn't get through them. The show was definitely written with children in
            mind. I suppose if I was a child. This show might have appealed to me.
            Oh...one of the voice actors was in the show, Friday the 13th the Series,
            another Canadian show I enjoyed.

            I'm inclined to agree with you about the writing and I think that's possibly
            the main reason why I could never warm up to his character in the first
            place. I also see your point on how he could be the SP equivalent to
            Quentin. He certainly got about as much screen time as Jean Paul. I just
            wish SP would have given us one couple pairing that I liked. IMO, Philip was
            better off with Emily. I didn't like him having feelings (even remotely) for
            Susan. Jean Paul should have married Helena Raleigh....and why not give Cort
            a break and hook him up with Susan since Holly decided to be silly and run
            off with Jean Paul's brother? That's just me though.

            _____

            <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rachel Cavic" <rachel@...>