RE: [Strange Paradise] Re: New Fan!

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 4 12:17 AM
      Hey, I think we should probably have this convo outside of this yahoo group
      just because I don't want to annoy the people who aren't interested. Send me
      an email at rachel@... and I'll be happy to answer your
      questions. :-)

      Rachel

      _____

      From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...
      From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
      From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...
      <mailto:rachel%40little-menagerie.com>
      <mailto:rachel%40little-menagerie.com> >
      Yup! Right now, we don't have that many characters for my cross-over at all.
      The link is www.collinsportsociety.com<http://www.collinsportsociety.com/>

      And you're right - I don't think it was shown here (at least not where I
      live) and it SHOULD have played on the Sci Fi channel. They could have put
      it back to back with Dark Shadows and that would have been awesome!

      I'm so happy I joined this group because everyone is just so nice here. :-)

      Rachel

      _____

      From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>

      i would love to join with you Rachel!
      is it this site you mean.... the collinsport society?
      i watched the Maljardin on youtube 4 times already and am dying to see the
      Desmond Hall now! it is so addicting and just fascinating. i don't know how
      it
      didn't catch on more, maybe because it wasn't showed on US tv as much as
      Dark
      Shadows was. I was so upset when it ended on Sci-Fi! I watched it every
      morning
      the entire run it had on SciFi.

      so nice to meet you and get to know more fans of such great shows!
      Becky

      From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...
      To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 6 7:16 PM
        Hi, folks! Yes, it is a shame that SP has never caught on the way DARK SHADOWS did. But the series DID see a fair bit of airplay in the U.S. back when it debuted in 1969. It was carried on well over 40 stations across the States, and in some markets it did play back to back with DARK SHADOWS. Even after the series wrapped production in 1970, quite a few stations carried the show in syndicated re-runs (BEFORE DS went into syndication a few years later). On my website, www.maljardin.com, my page titled THE BROADCASTERS gives a partial list of the stations that we can verify carried SP at one time or another. An independent station in Chicago broadcast the show to a fair chunk of the Midwest around 1976-77. The series is available for syndication to this day, so it's possible that it's airing in some local markets that we're unaware of. But the last U.S. airings that I can confirm came in the mid-1990s, when a Fox station in West Virginia carried it for awhile. Of course, in Canada the series was trotted out by CityTV during the 1980s and 90s, and Drive-In Classics resurrected it in the mid-2000s. Back here in the U.S., it WOULD be nice to see a horror channel like Chiller give the show some exposure. But I don't hold out much hope. Chiller is owned by the same parent company as the Sci Fi Channel (now SyFy). Back when Sci Fi was running DS, several members of this board wrote in requesting SP. Eventually, a few even got a response from Sci Fi, but all were in the negative, saying that the recordings would require too much restoration work to make them airable on their network. And since our best research has indicated that all of the original camera elements for SP were wiped by the CBC back in the early 1970s, it's not even possible to go back to the "master recordings" to do high caliber restoration. So, while it's possible that SP may pop up in syndcation in various local markets or PBS stations, it's unlikely that you'll see it on a nationwide outlet like Chiller any time soon. Of course, I'm not discouraging anyone from writing to Chiller or other similar broadcasters to express an interest in the show. It would be WONDERFUL if someone would give the series some attention (and perhaps even a little visual clean-up for broadcast). Hope springs eternal.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 7 6:08 AM
          Curt. add Evansville, Indiana WTVW to your list. It aired at 3:30 PM CST immediately after Dark Shadows. Unfortuately the last 5 or 6 weeks never aired.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 7 8:54 PM
            Thanks for the info, Steve! I've added WTVW to my list, and I've also identified about 4 or 5 more from tv listings in various newspapers of the late 1960s. Unfortunately, it will take me awhile to get the info posted to the website, but it will make its way there sooner or later. I appreciate your taking the time to share this tidbit of information with all of us here in the group.