Re: [Strange Paradise] New Fan!

  • Curt Ladnier
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
      Welcome to the community, Toni!  We're always thrilled to have a new fan onboard.  I hope everyone here has a great 2011!   -Curt

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
        Welcome all new fans!! Great to have you on board!!
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
          Welcome to the group, I'm also a DS fan and have attended many of the fests
          and met lots of the stars. SP is a wonderful show.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
            Ron, has there ever been a Strange Paradise fest? I'm guessing there hasn't
            been due to the super small fandom but I think it would be awesome
            nonetheless. I was just telling a friend of mine that SP's fandom is
            probably less than half the size of DS's fandom (which is sad considering
            that DS is not that large of a fandom when you think about it).

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
              Sadly, to the best of my knowledge there has never been a SP Fest. Well, I
              for one would love to go to one.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
                I'm curious...would it be something that the fans of the show could put
                together themselves or would we need some kind of sanction to do that? I
                know that on another board I belong to, this one lady has been trying to
                organize a convention for Classic Nick fans. I'm not sure if she's had any
                success with it but it is something to think about.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Rachel, the very first Dark Shadows Fest was a gathering of a few DS fans at
                  a Star Trek Convention and from there it blossomed. What one fan did was
                  put on a fan board at the Star Trek Con that many DS fans should meet her at
                  some location and she was surprised that a couple of people showed up to
                  talk about the show.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 1, 2011
                    Wow, really? Then why can't we do that? I know there are many get-togethers
                    at Seaview. Wouldn't it be awesome if the same could be done for Strange
                    Paradise but having a get together at Casa Loma?

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 2, 2011
                      No SP convention has ever been organized, but from what I've been able to gather a former member of this group DID try something very similar to what Ron described with the original DS fans meeting at a STAR TREK convention. Back in 2002, a frequent poster by the name of QuitoRaxl announced that there would be a meeting room for STRANGE PARADISE fans at the 2003 DragonCon in Atlanta, GA. Unfortunately, I didn't hear about it at the time, or I would have gone to support it (Atlanta is only about a 2 hour drive for me). I've seen a couple of DragonCon schedules confirming QuitoRaxl's announcement, but I've never heard from anyone who attended. QuitoRaxl hasn't posted in a long time, so I'm assuming he's no longer with the group, and I haven't heard anything about an attempt to repeat the gathering at DragonCon. That's a HUGE convention, so there's got to be at least a few SP fans among its membership. If anybody would like to try a similar gathering, I'd really love to see it happen. Anybody have suggestions for a possible venue?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 2, 2011
                        Hmm I wonder if he got it off the ground too. I'd love to try that but I'm
                        maybe we should hit the DS fest instead? When I went to the fest in 2009, I
                        heard there was like 1000 people there. It's a smaller fandom but as well
                        all, a lot of DS fans like SP.

                        _____

[...]

                        <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com> , Ron Janick
                        <ron.bella.daisy@...> wrote:

                        > Rachel, the very first Dark Shadows Fest was a gathering of a few DS fans
                        at
                        > a Star Trek Convention and from there it blossomed. What one fan did was
                        > put on a fan board at the Star Trek Con that many DS fans should meet her
                        at
                        > some location and she was surprised that a couple of people showed up to
                        > talk about the show.
                        >
                        > On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Rachel Cavic <rachel@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > I'm curious...would it be something that the fans of the show could put
                        > > together themselves or would we need some kind of sanction to do that? I
                        > > know that on another board I belong to, this one lady has been trying to
                        > > organize a convention for Classic Nick fans. I'm not sure if she's had
                        any
                        > > success with it but it is something to think about.

                      • Becky Burr
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                          Hi Toni
                          my name is Becky and I'm new to this group but have been a long time Strange Paradise & Dark Shadows fan.
                          I watched ALL the Maljardin episodes they have on youtube and I'd love to thank the person who uploaded so many episodes to youtube! only one person has uploaded Strange Paradise to youtube so it is really hard to find for viewing.
                          does anyone know if it will be on television in the US anytime in the near future? or where the DVDs can be purchased of the entire series including Desmond Hall after the Maljardin episodes?

                          we need more Strange Paradise fans to help the SP community grow.It is a wonderful show as is Dark Shadows!
                          I have quite a collection of Dark Shadows and would love to burn some DVDs for anyone who has any Strange Paradise they can burn and trade with me or maybe any of the Dark Shadows episodes I might not have.

                          Nice to meet all of you here!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                            Hey Becky!

                            I too have seen the eps on youtube and that's what got me hooked. There is a
                            site where you can get the eps of SP...but can we list it here? Honestly,
                            just google Strange Paradise episodes and you should see it. I wouldn't burn
                            DS eps for anyone though because that is commercially available for people
                            to rent or buy unlike Strange Paradise.

                            I'm almost finished with the Maljardin story arc and can't wait to find out
                            what happens at Desmond Hall. I've become such a fan that I've started up a
                            RPG that crosses Strange Paradise with Dark Shadows but so far I've only
                            found one person who wants to join in with me. So you are so right! This
                            show definitely needs more fans. :-)

                            -Rachel

                            _____

[...]

                            <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com> , Toni Collins
                            <ds.quentinfan@...> wrote:

                            > Hello all and Happy New Year! I'm Toni and I'm a new fan of SP, but I'm
                            > a devoted fan of DS!!:) I'm currently watching SP on YouTube and
                            > enjoying it VERY much!!
                            >
                            > I'm looking forward to meeting lots of SP fans!!!!
                            >
                            > Take care,
                            > Toni

                          • Becky Burr
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                              i would love to join with you Rachel!
                              is it this site you mean.... the collinsport society?
                              i watched the Maljardin on youtube 4 times already and am dying to see the
                              Desmond Hall now! it is so addicting and just fascinating. i don't know how it
                              didn't catch on more, maybe because it wasn't showed on US tv as much as Dark
                              Shadows was. I was so upset when it ended on Sci-Fi! I watched it every morning
                              the entire run it had on SciFi.

                              so nice to meet you and get to know more fans of such great shows!
                              Becky

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                                Yup! Right now, we don't have that many characters for my cross-over at all.
                                The link is www.collinsportsociety.com <http://www.collinsportsociety.com/>

                                And you're right - I don't think it was shown here (at least not where I
                                live) and it SHOULD have played on the Sci Fi channel. They could have put
                                it back to back with Dark Shadows and that would have been awesome!

                                I'm so happy I joined this group because everyone is just so nice here. :-)

                                Rachel

                                _____

                                From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                <ds.quentinfan@...> wrote:

                                > Hello all and Happy New Year! I'm Toni and I'm a new fan of SP, but I'm
                                > a devoted fan of DS!!:) I'm currently watching SP on YouTube and
                                > enjoying it VERY much!!
                                >
                                > I'm looking forward to meeting lots of SP fans!!!!
                                >
                                > Take care,
                                > Toni

                              • Becky Burr
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  that would have been perfect to have done Dark Shadows and Strange Paradise back
                                  to back on SciFi!

                                  I don't know if you have Directv but they have a channel called CHILLER and when
                                  it first was started a few years ago I thought this is perfect! they are most
                                  likely going to air Dark Shadows for sure. and in the forum on the Chiller
                                  website they had a request page and the number one requested show was DARK
                                  SHADOWS! and they do show it occasionally but not regularly and its the 90's one
                                  the Dark Shadows Revival but they really out to run the original Dark Shadows
                                  and Strange Paradise!

                                  hope to talk to you soon! it is a wonderful group here and I too am very glad i
                                  joined :)
                                  email me anytime and i will sign up at the collinsport society first thing
                                  tomorrow. Thanks Rachel!
                                  Becky

                                  ________________________________

                                  From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 3, 2011
                                    Yes, I have the Chiller channel. As a fan of the 90's series, I don't mind
                                    at all that they run that version since I love it so much. However, I wish
                                    they would air the episodes uncut.

                                    I think it would be fun to watch the original on TV again though. I'm
                                    collecting the series but there's something about watching it on TV that's
                                    just special.

                                    Awesome! Do check out the website and let me know which character(s)
                                    interest you by going to the "Joining" section. :-)

                                    Chat with you soon!

                                    Rachel

                                    _____

                                    From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...

                                    From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                    <ds.quentinfan@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello all and Happy New Year! I'm Toni and I'm a new fan of SP, but I'm
                                    > a devoted fan of DS!!:) I'm currently watching SP on YouTube and
                                    > enjoying it VERY much!!
                                    >
                                    > I'm looking forward to meeting lots of SP fans!!!!
                                    >
                                    > Take care,
                                    > Toni

                                  • Becky Burr
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 4, 2011
                                      Rachel can you choose more then one character from both series DS & SP? and if
                                      so up to how many can you choose?
                                      Becky :)

                                      ________________________________

                                      From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...

                                      From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 4, 2011
                                        Hey, I think we should probably have this convo outside of this yahoo group
                                        just because I don't want to annoy the people who aren't interested. Send me
                                        an email at rachel@... and I'll be happy to answer your
                                        questions. :-)

                                        Rachel

                                        _____

                                        From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...

                                        From: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                        From: Rachel Cavic <rachel@...
                                        To: strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 6, 2011
                                          Hi, folks! Yes, it is a shame that SP has never caught on the way DARK SHADOWS did. But the series DID see a fair bit of airplay in the U.S. back when it debuted in 1969. It was carried on well over 40 stations across the States, and in some markets it did play back to back with DARK SHADOWS. Even after the series wrapped production in 1970, quite a few stations carried the show in syndicated re-runs (BEFORE DS went into syndication a few years later). On my website, www.maljardin.com, my page titled THE BROADCASTERS gives a partial list of the stations that we can verify carried SP at one time or another. An independent station in Chicago broadcast the show to a fair chunk of the Midwest around 1976-77. The series is available for syndication to this day, so it's possible that it's airing in some local markets that we're unaware of. But the last U.S. airings that I can confirm came in the mid-1990s, when a Fox station in West Virginia carried it for awhile. Of course, in Canada the series was trotted out by CityTV during the 1980s and 90s, and Drive-In Classics resurrected it in the mid-2000s. Back here in the U.S., it WOULD be nice to see a horror channel like Chiller give the show some exposure. But I don't hold out much hope. Chiller is owned by the same parent company as the Sci Fi Channel (now SyFy). Back when Sci Fi was running DS, several members of this board wrote in requesting SP. Eventually, a few even got a response from Sci Fi, but all were in the negative, saying that the recordings would require too much restoration work to make them airable on their network. And since our best research has indicated that all of the original camera elements for SP were wiped by the CBC back in the early 1970s, it's not even possible to go back to the "master recordings" to do high caliber restoration. So, while it's possible that SP may pop up in syndcation in various local markets or PBS stations, it's unlikely that you'll see it on a nationwide outlet like Chiller any time soon. Of course, I'm not discouraging anyone from writing to Chiller or other similar broadcasters to express an interest in the show. It would be WONDERFUL if someone would give the series some attention (and perhaps even a little visual clean-up for broadcast). Hope springs eternal.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
                                            Curt. add Evansville, Indiana WTVW to your list. It aired at 3:30 PM CST immediately after Dark Shadows. Unfortuately the last 5 or 6 weeks never aired.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 7, 2011
                                              Thanks for the info, Steve! I've added WTVW to my list, and I've also identified about 4 or 5 more from tv listings in various newspapers of the late 1960s. Unfortunately, it will take me awhile to get the info posted to the website, but it will make its way there sooner or later. I appreciate your taking the time to share this tidbit of information with all of us here in the group.