Re: Ian Martin

  • Joanna Desmond <supremeplanner@hotmail.c
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2003
      Great job! Keep up the good work and continue to keep us posted!!

      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, gothick42 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > For those of you who are interested, my meeting with members of the
      > SP crew went really well last week in Ottawa. I also had the
      chance
      > to do some library work and found a 3 page promotional article
      about
      > the debut of Strange Paradise, including 3 photos and a brief
      > interview with Jerry Layton, from the Ottawa Citizen's TV magazine
      > dated 1 November 1969.
      >
      > If any fans in Toronto or elsewhere in Canada have the time and
      > inclination, further searching through the microfilms of the Ottawa
      > Citizen, the Ottawa Journal, and the Toronto papers of the time
      might
      > yield further articles of interest. Studio D (now a storage space)
      > was opened with great fanfare in January of 1970 and SP was the
      first
      > show to go in there--I'm sure it must have been mentioned in the
      > press coverage of the opening, but I did not have time to get that
      > far (microfilm searching takes hours of time, for those who have
      not
      > had the unique pleasure).
      >
      > One major revelation that hit the fan is that "Ian Martin," author
      of
      > the first 8 weeks of SP scripts, was a pseudonym for SP co-creator
      > and backer Steve Krantz. Steve's wife Judith apparently also wrote
      > some of the Ian Martin scripts.
      >
      > Look for an update from me shortly about plans for the first issue
      of
      > the zine.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Steve
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2003
        Great job, Steve.

        I am surprised that Ian Martin was a pen name. I wonder if this means
        that Steve Krantz wrote for NBC's THE DOCTORS and ABC's THE NURSES,
        or that there is/was another Ian Martin out there who wrote for these
        shows.

        The funny thing I find about this is, that based on Bruce Gray's
        comments, the writers were fired. Then again, Gray's memory is a
        little shaky, stating that Erica was the one who killed him. I doubt
        that Layton fired his boss or his wife. And if he did the joke was on
        him. Judith Krantz is a well known romance novelist, but I doubt she
        lists STRANGE PARADISE as one of her successes. She and Steve live in
        Bel Air now.

        Though I have a feeling that Judith Krantz's contribution was little.
        There were a few scripts that really stood out in structure. The flow
        was amazing. The scene would end with a character saying a line that
        was used to start that conversation in the next scene.

        While I'm thinking of it. I rewatched the first episode this weeked.
        Nonny Griffin is still called Beryl Forbes in this episode. She was
        one of the few casualties from the pilot, including the already
        mentioned Dan Forest, as well as minor characters: Erica, Huaco and
        Dr. Menkin. Looking at the promo in the photo gallery makes me wonder
        if Tim Stanton wasn't recast as well, or if there was an earlier
        incarnation in the pilot. The A & N in the photo collage of STRANGE
        PARADISE features Dan Forest #1, Dawn Greenhalgh, and yet another
        unknown actor.

        Keep up the good work!

        - Dan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2003
          Hi Dan,

          Yes, I'm also puzzled by the assertion from my interviewees that Ian
          Martin was a psuedonym used by Steve Krantz. I never thought of
          Krantz as a writer, but I searched him on IMDB yesterday (something I
          should have done ages ago) and he did have a couple of credits listed.

          Since there was a real Ian Martin and he did do writing for
          television and film, it makes me think that my informants may have
          been mistaken in their belief that Martin was a pseudonym used by the
          Krantzes. The problem is that CJOH ditched all their old production
          archives so there is nothing to investigate on that end. It would be
          interesting to try writing to the Krantzes. I thought I had heard
          from an acquaintance years ago that Mr. Krantz had died.

          The actress who played Huaco in the pilot was Patricia Collins who is
          now one of the best known actresses in Canada. I found a photo of
          her all dressed up in dominatrix wear as "Madame de Sade" from a play
          she did in the mid Seventies. A real hoot!

          I also noticed that the casting of Tim Stanton changed from the
          vignettes that were used for the Strange Paradise collage in the
          promotional booklet. I'm sure that Patricia Collins was not pleased
          that a photo of herself in curlers and kimono was included (if she
          ever saw this, which she may not have done).

          I don't know whether I explained that Erica's corpse was played in
          the pilot and a slightly later episode by Pat "Lara" Cochrane, one of
          the production assistants, who now goes by Lara Fox.

          Dr. Menken was played by a very well known Canadian character actor
          who had had a successful children's television show. I suspect that
          both he and Patricia Collins had other obligations by the time the
          actual taping of the series began out in Chelsea.

          I'm still trying to reconstruct the production history, but it seems
          to have gone something like this:

          April 1969--taping of "vignettes" which was a reel of scenes from Ian
          Martin's first 3 or 4 scripts (I have the vignette script and will be
          publishing it in the zine)

          May 1969--taping of pilot/first episode

          August 1969--work on Crawley Studios and commencement of taping of
          shows 2 onwards. Initially it was not possible to keep to the one-
          episode-a-day schedule due to technical difficulties in the Crawley
          facilities.

          Best wishes,l

          Steve
        • jh11786
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2003
            As of three years ago he was alive, well according to this article he
            was:

            http://www.jewishjournal.com/old/stevekrantz.1.14.0.htm

            Interesting to here about Pat "Lara" Cochrane playing Erica's corpse.
            She did make it to the cover of the first book in the SP paperback
            series.

            The thing with the "Ian Martin" alias is, that Jerry Layton and Herb
            Kenwith both worked on THE DOCTORS. I thought that the trio had met
            through that series. Score Productions provided the music for that
            series as well and for NEVER TOO YOUNG, which Ron Sproat wrote for.

            Sorry about the error in Huaco, I thought that Patricia Collins was
            the blonde haired actress who played her in episode 6. Have you found
            out who that actress was?

            I wonder why Layton and Krantz would have wanted to abandon
            Maljardin. The setting itself was well defined and almost became a
            character of its own. I wonder if it was due to the production
            difficulties that you mentioned.

            - Dan
          • Alan Morton
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
              I am guessing he did not have a lot of influence on Land of the Lost since his sole writing credit on that sereis is for one episode 42 Scarab whihc was the penultimate episode of the series. According to my research thtat episode of Land of the Lost and many episodes of Strange Paradise are the only genre TV creits he has.
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2005
                Dear Fans,

                Back in January 2003, I interviewed a couple of surviving members of
                the Strange Paradise crew in Ottawa. I was surprised to hear their
                belief that "Ian Martin" was a pen-name—they presumed that Series
                Creator Steve Krantz was writing the scripts, possibly with the help
                of wife Judith as a ghost. They also regarded "Cornelius Crane" as a
                pseudonym, although somewhere I found accounts of Crane's having
                published novels (back in the mid Sixties, I think?).

                When I came back, I reported about the interviews, and here are some
                of the results. You can find the original posts by searching January
                2003 in our list archives.

                A fan named John posted:

                Being a fan of dramatic radio I noted with interest
                your information about "Ian Martin". He wrote a good
                many of the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre episodes in the
                '70s/80's (at least I suppose it's the same "Ian
                Martin" LOL). (end of quote from John)

                Another fan, Dan, added this info:

                I am surprised that Ian Martin was a pen name. I wonder if this means
                that Steve Krantz wrote for NBC's THE DOCTORS and ABC's THE NURSES,
                or that there is/was another Ian Martin out there who wrote for these
                shows.

                The thing with the "Ian Martin" alias is, that Jerry Layton and Herb
                Kenwith both worked on THE DOCTORS. I thought that the trio had met
                through that series. Score Productions provided the music for that
                series as well and for NEVER TOO YOUNG, which Ron Sproat wrote for.
                (end of quote from Dan)

                replied:

                To my knowledge there are no websites with explicit details on the
                series. I've taken all this from the Soap Opera Encyclopedia. It
                doesn't list the years, but Ian Martin is list as the second or third
                headwriter for the series. I think that would place him in the mid-
                1960s. I believe this would be before his stint on THE NURSES, which
                I read about on another message so this may not be true, would be in
                1965 to 1966 or somewhere around there.

                I wonder if Ron Sproat and Ian Martin knew each other? Ron Sproat was
                writing for NEVER TOO YOUNG, a hideous soap set in Malibu, about the
                time Martin would have been writing THE NURSES. Then again, I'm
                taking this as Ian Martin being a separate entity, and not the pen
                name of Steve Krantz. (end of quote from Dan)

                That's about as far as the discussion went back then. I have to
                conclude that Ian Martin was an established writer in the soaps field
                and that accounts for his work on SP. Bruce Gray's memory of Martin
                having been fired does, I think, account for the abrupt switch in
                writers halfway through the Maljardin storyline.
                It may have been that Martin was simply burnt out from having written
                so many weeks of the show without a break.

                Best wishes,

                Steve
              • Anthony Anderson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 12, 2010
                  I think both LOTL "Scarab" and the ELECTRO WOMAN episode both being dated
                  1976, there is an excellent chance it is the same Ian Martin. Darn, wish I
                  had this question last July when I got to meet Marty Krofft (game him a
                  painting too!), he was the business half of the brothers and would have
                  known in a heartbeat. I do know it was not uncommon for performers in
                  Krofft shows to also serve as writers. Lenny Weinrib did voices (was
                  Pufnstuf, Dr. Blinky and others) as well as serving as writer on all 17
                  PUFNSTUF episodes. He also played the live action MAGIC MONGO genie for the
                  Kroffts. So, I think it is probably a safe bet that Ian Martin did the same
                  as an actor/writer. The Kroffts certainly knew how to utilize their
                  artists. And how weird is it that Weinrib used THE PRISONER as his model for
                  PUFNSTUF? :)

                  ToNy

                  2b.

                  BkNmw0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BG1zZ0lkAz
                  MyNjcEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Trivia Question #19
                  - answered!

                  Posted by: "Curt"
                  <mailto:strangeparadiselibrary@...?Subject=%20Re%3ATrivia%20Question%2
                  0%2319%20%20-%20%20answered%21> strangeparadiselibrary@...
                  <http://profiles.yahoo.com/strangeparadiselibrary> strangeparadiselibrary

                  Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:17 pm (PST)

                  Bingo! Once again, you've nailed it SPRules. The tv show I was looking for
                  was LAND OF THE LOST, and the two names that connect LOTL to STRANGE
                  PARADISE are Holly Marshall and Ian Martin. There is a bit of contention
                  regarding whether or not LOTL's Ian Martin was the same man who co-created
                  STRANGE PARADISE, and at this late date we probably won't ever know for
                  sure. Personally, I think it probably is, but I have nothing to back that up
                  except my own gut feeling. We do know that SP's Ian Martin was at least
                  known to Sid and Marty Krofft (producers of LOTL), because he performed in
                  an episode of their series ELECTRA-WOMAN AND DYNAGIRL. In fact, his
                  appearance on that show was in 1976, the same year that his name was
                  attached to the LOTL episode "Scarab". It's not unreasonable to speculate
                  that his acquaintance with the Krofft team resulting from one of those
                  projects led to his participation in the other. However, this is all just
                  speculation. Maybe someday some hard documentation will surface, but I
                  suspect no one really cares enough to sort it out. Anyway, congrats on
                  winning our latest trivia challenge! I'll be back tomorrow with a new
                  question. -Curt

                  --- In <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>
                  strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, sprules_1999 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Man, one more try! There was a writer named Ian Martin who wrote an
                  episode of Land of the Lost, although I don't think it was the same one who
                  wrote Strange Paradise's early episodes.

                  strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:

                  > > Man, that is such a great answer that I actually wish it was correct! I
                  may send you a special prize just for coming up with that one, but no,
                  that's not the answer we're looking for. The person in question is a human,
                  and has an actual firat and last name. The name does not apply to a
                  character on either SP or LOTL, so we're talking someone behind the cameras
                  (most likely never even on the set). If no one gets close to this by
                  Thursday, I'll give out one final hint. Until then, keep trying!

                  > > --- In <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>
                  strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, sprules_1999 <no_reply@> wrote:

                  > > > Land of the Lost's Holly Marshall and Emily the dinosaur.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In <mailto:strangeparadise2%40yahoogroups.com>

                  trivia challenge. Since I promised all of you a good one, let me jump right
                  into the new question:

                  who bore the same name as a regular on STRANGE PARADISE, what was the name
                  of that character, and what other name did the two series have in common?

                  first person to post the correct answer, and you'll win our prize of one
                  week's worth of SP episodes on DVD. Good luck with this latest brain-teaser!

                  Back to top

                  <mailto:strangeparadiselibrary@...?Subject=Re%3ATrivia%20Question%20%2
                  319%20%20-%20%20answered%21> Reply to sender |
                  <mailto:strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com?Subject=%20Re%3ATrivia%20Question%2
                  0%2319%20%20-%20%20answered%21> Reply to group |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxOTRvNGowBF
                  9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BG1zZ0lkAzMyNjcEc2
                  VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--?act=reply&messageNum=3267>

                  I2bWd0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BG1zZ0lkAz
                  MyNjcEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQR0cGNJZAMzMjUx> Messages
                  in this topic (7)

                  Recent Activity

                  3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHA
                  Ec3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Visit Your Group

                  Yahoo! Search

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15lqa2k3h/M=493064.12016265.12445672.8674578/D=
                  groups/S=1705110277:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1265985310/L=0f6c6940-17d3-11df-85b1-a39f
                  9ac71a65/B=DPbWAGKJiUA-/J=1265978110878393/K=4feB9p3ro.sFhCAMb7fvnQ/A=385879
                  5/R=0/SIG=10pbnnlc1/*http:/search.yahoo.com> Find it now

                  Everything you

                  need in one place.

                  Share Photos

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15lirnolu/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=
                  groups/S=1705110277:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1265985310/L=0f6c6940-17d3-11df-85b1-a39f
                  9ac71a65/B=DfbWAGKJiUA-/J=1265978110878393/K=4feB9p3ro.sFhCAMb7fvnQ/A=402537
                  3/R=0/SIG=12dtn7qjm/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http:/smallbusiness.ya
                  hoo.com/webhosting> Put your favorite

                  photos and

                  more online.

                  Yahoo! Groups

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15l7mls1n/M=493064.12016283.13564723.8674578/D=
                  groups/S=1705110277:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1265985310/L=0f6c6940-17d3-11df-85b1-a39f
                  9ac71a65/B=DvbWAGKJiUA-/J=1265978110878393/K=4feB9p3ro.sFhCAMb7fvnQ/A=574139
                  2/R=0/SIG=11m8njht2/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mentalhealthzone>
                  Mental Health Zone

                  Learn about issues

                  Find support

                  Need to Reply?

                  Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily
                  Digest.

                  9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2
                  50cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Create New Topic |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2;_ylc=X3oDMTJjczBpY2oyBF9TAzk
                  3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwBHN
                  0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Visit Your Group on the Web

                  IwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
                  xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Messages |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZ3M0Nm5xB
                  F9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                  2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Files |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOWZmM2tn
                  BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xr
                  A3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Photos |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdHUzM3R1B
                  F9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                  2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Links |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjYWdqOG
                  wzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
                  xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Database |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNmJzYjU4B
                  F9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
                  3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Polls |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGZ0dnF
                  pBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
                  rA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTk3ODEwOQ--> Members |
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strangeparadise2/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaDh1Zn
                  I2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2
                  xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjY1OTc4MTA5> Calendar

                  jIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjY1OTc4MTA5>
                  Yahoo! Groups

                  9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3
                  N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjU5NzgxMDk-> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID
                  required)
                  Change settings via email:
                  <mailto:strangeparadise2-normal@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20
                  Indiviual%20Email> Switch delivery to Individual |
                  <mailto:strangeparadise2-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delive
                  ry%20Format:%20Traditional> Switch format to Traditional

                  3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzYzMjIwNjcEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTEwMjc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgR
                  zdGltZQMxMjY1OTc4MTA5> Visit Your Group |
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |
                  Unsubscribe

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=6322067/grpspId=1705110277/msgId
                  =1230/stime=1265978109/nc1=3858795/nc2=4025373/nc3=5741392>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 12, 2010
                    Thanks for your comments, ToNy! I'd love to hear what Marty Krofft could recall regarding Ian Martin. Too bad you didn't get to ask him. Perhaps another day. -Curt

                    --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Anderson" <tony@...> wrote:

                    > I think both LOTL "Scarab" and the ELECTRO WOMAN episode both being dated
                    > 1976, there is an excellent chance it is the same Ian Martin. Darn, wish I
                    > had this question last July when I got to meet Marty Krofft (game him a
                    > painting too!), he was the business half of the brothers and would have
                    > known in a heartbeat. I do know it was not uncommon for performers in
                    > Krofft shows to also serve as writers. Lenny Weinrib did voices (was
                    > Pufnstuf, Dr. Blinky and others) as well as serving as writer on all 17
                    > PUFNSTUF episodes. He also played the live action MAGIC MONGO genie for the
                    > Kroffts. So, I think it is probably a safe bet that Ian Martin did the same
                    > as an actor/writer. The Kroffts certainly knew how to utilize their
                    > artists. And how weird is it that Weinrib used THE PRISONER as his model for
                    > PUFNSTUF? :)
                    >

                    > ToNy
                  • Terry Hoknes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 12, 2010