After re-watching some of the episodes....

  • Jeanette and Edward Black
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2010
      After re-watching some of the episodes I must admit I really find Holly
      annoying. Hey, I graduated high school in 1969 and lived the whole hippy
      thing myself, even two years in a commune , but goodness she is
      annoying. The media, TV and movies had no idea how to portray the
      Sixties mindset and life style so they often went with sort of a vapid,
      drifting spiritualism and random impulses. They would write the "Flower
      Child" who lived by instinct at one with nature and mystic feelings.
      Unfortunately it often came across as a self-entitled simple-minded git
      with poor control issues.

      Also re-watching drove home how the cure for everything, from headaches
      to heartbreak to talking to the dead was treated by going to your
      bedroom and resting. I know it was because of limited money for props
      and additional actors, but it can get quite funny. It would be fun to
      have a SP marathon with a "going to your room and resting" drinking game.

      Jeanette
      (long time fan and lurker)
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2010
        Hi, Jeanette! As much as I hate to admit it, I have to concur with your assessment of Holly as annoying. Which is a real shame, because I don't think that was intentional in Sylvia Feigel's portrayal of the character. But the writers really didn't seem to be able to pick a direction for her character. She alternately came across as petulant, angry or flighty, depending on the episode in question. I would speculate that a big part of this stems from the change in the series' writers after Episode 44 (but I'm honestly just guessing). Holly could certainly be annoying during the show's first nine weeks, but I thought that Ian Martin was trying to build to something with that (a change in her character, possibly relating to what was going on with the spirit of Erica). Don't forget that the very last script Martin wrote ended with Holly being poisoned. I know he had no intention of killing her, but who knows what he did have in mind for her? Erica's spirit seemed to have an attraction to her during the seances. Perhaps she was going to possess Holly, the way that Jacques was always possessing Jean Paul. (By the way, I don't want to start any rumors. I haven't read ANYTHING that suggested that particular plot twist. I'm just speculating about ways Martin could have intended to use Holly). Anyway, we'll probably never know what was intended for Holly in the original story. Martin was dismissed, and the new writers never really found a consistent way to write her after that. With that in mind, I'm amazed that she was one of the only four characters that made the jump from Maljardin to Desmond Hall. Jean Paul, Raxl and Quito pretty much had to carry over - but HOLLY? While she wound up being important to the ghost of Philip storyline, the writers still never really figured out how to handle her character. I wonder if that is why Sylvia Feigel left the series after Episode 130. Does anybody else have thoughts on the subject?
        -Curt

        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2010
          Greetings, Jeanette! Great to see you posting. I also watched during the original broadcast in the Fall of 1969 when I was a child in Maryland.

          I have to agree with yourself and Curt about Holly. I actually think that Sylvia Feigel succeeded, sometimes with a heroic degree of energy, in bringing some depth to a character who often seemed to echo the lyrics of a big hit for the Zombies back in the day: "She's not there." Thanks to Sylvia's personal charm and commitment to the character, I did find Holly to have moments of character integrality (if that's even a word!) that made me somewhat more patient with her, at least at times. When the character got saddled with the "I'm in love with a ghost" scenario at Desmond Hall, unfortunately, she went into areas of implausibility I thought even Sylvia's considerable skill and poise were unable to rescue from really flat, cookie-cutter storytelling.

          cheers, Steve
        • chrisleopard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2010
            I also agree with both of you about Holly, she always got on my nerves but
            there where times she pulled the part off just fine. I thought the end of
            Holly by going off with Phillip the ghost was a dumb way of getting rid of
            her. Did she leave the show because she wanted out?
            Chris

            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2010
              I wish I could answer your question about Sylvia Feigel's departure from the series, Chris, but the honest truth is that we just don't know. She may have wanted to leave the show, but there are other possibilities that are equally plausible. I know that she snagged a starring role in Ivan Reitman's first feature film, FOXY LADY, which was released in 1971. If the movie was actually shot in 1970, she may have had had to bow out of SP due to scheduling conflicts with her film work. But that's sheer speculation. Perhaps someday we'll locate her, and get some direct answers.
              -Curt

              --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, chrisleopard@... wrote:

              > I also agree with both of you about Holly, she always got on my nerves but
              > there where times she pulled the part off just fine. I thought the end of
              > Holly by going off with Phillip the ghost was a dumb way of getting rid of
              > her. Did she leave the show because she wanted out?
              > Chris
              >

              > In a message dated 5/18/2010 7:26:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >
              > Greetings, Jeanette! Great to see you posting. I also watched during the
              > original broadcast in the Fall of 1969 when I was a child in Maryland.
              >
              > I have to agree with yourself and Curt about Holly. I actually think that
              > Sylvia Feigel succeeded, sometimes with a heroic degree of energy, in
              > bringing some depth to a character who often seemed to echo the lyrics of a big
              > hit for the Zombies back in the day: "She's not there." Thanks to
              > Sylvia's personal charm and commitment to the character, I did find Holly to have
              > moments of character integrality (if that's even a word!) that made me
              > somewhat more patient with her, at least at times. When the character got
              > saddled with the "I'm in love with a ghost" scenario at Desmond Hall,
              > unfortunately, she went into areas of implausibility I thought even Sylvia's
              > considerable skill and poise were unable to rescue from really flat,
              > cookie-cutter storytelling.
              >
              > cheers, Steve

            • Brian C
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2010
                I liked Holly overall. The writing for her could be inconsistant though.
                I liked the way she was written out, it was very inventive and unexpected.
              • mockingbird400
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2010
                  I liked Holly. I found her character on Maljardin to be more interesting than the confused young woman who arrived at Desmond Hall. Better to be rebellious and struggling to find your own path in life. At Desmond Hall, Holly was continually manipulated. Not exactly a recipe for happiness.
                  I wish at times that Holly would have been able to turn the tables on her tormentors. It would have been more interesting than seeing her victimized.
                  I can't speak to the portrayal of 60's counter-culture, I was merely born in that era. I'm grateful Holly wasn't in the habit of wearing beads and glitter.