Dark Mansions

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2010
      Hey, Strangers!
      I just watched a failed ABC pilot from 1986 titled DARK MANSIONS. It was an interesting effort by Aaron Spelling to do a prime-time imitation of DARK SHADOWS before Dan Curtis' 1991 revival of the series. And its story was co-written by Anthony Lawrence, the creator of the early 1970s paranormal series THE SIXTH SENSE. Anyway, while the show is very obviously inspired by the first year of DARK SHADOWS (the more gothic, less supernatural episodes), the writer used one element that could have been taken directly from STRANGE PARADISE. The whole story revolves around the wife of one the major characters - a woman who died from a plunge over a cliff near the ancestral estate. One of the lingering questions is whether her fall was an accident, or whether her loving husband actually pushed her. Shades of Jacques and Huaco! Everything else in the pilot was vintage DS, but I think there is just a dash of SP in the production to. It's too bad ABC decided against continuing the series before they even aired the pilot film. It really could have been interesting.
      -Curt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2010
        Curt, I remember when they ran that movie. It was impossible not to notice
        all the Dark Shadows references...an old mansion and a new one, up on the
        cliffs. It was a rather dull movie, til at the very end the painting
        talked. While it would never have been like Dark Shadows, it still would
        have been interesting. I never really paid attention to the SP references.
        It would be interesting to see it again and look at it closer.

        On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Curt <strangeparadiselibrary@...>wrote:

        > Hey, Strangers!
        > I just watched a failed ABC pilot from 1986 titled DARK MANSIONS. It was an
        > interesting effort by Aaron Spelling to do a prime-time imitation of DARK
        > SHADOWS before Dan Curtis' 1991 revival of the series. And its story was
        > co-written by Anthony Lawrence, the creator of the early 1970s paranormal
        > series THE SIXTH SENSE. Anyway, while the show is very obviously inspired by
        > the first year of DARK SHADOWS (the more gothic, less supernatural
        > episodes), the writer used one element that could have been taken directly
        > from STRANGE PARADISE. The whole story revolves around the wife of one the
        > major characters - a woman who died from a plunge over a cliff near the
        > ancestral estate. One of the lingering questions is whether her fall was an
        > accident, or whether her loving husband actually pushed her. Shades of
        > Jacques and Huaco! Everything else in the pilot was vintage DS, but I think
        > there is just a dash of SP in the production to. It's too bad ABC decided
        > against continuing the series before they even aired the pilot film. It
        > really could have been interesting.
        > -Curt

        "God is great, beer is good,
        and people are crazy."