regarding a couple orf recent topics

    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2010
      Hi, gang!

      Congrats, once again, to Debby for continuing to be the most consistent author of STRANGE PARADISE fic. Please keep sharing your imagination with us, Debby!

      David, I can only provide a partial answer to your question about the STRANGE PARADISE book which was originally announced for 2009. I don't have any direct involvement with that project, so I cannot speak for the author. But as most of the regulars around here probably know, the fellow behind that project is one of our long-standing members by the name of Bryan. He runs the website www.strangeparadise.net, and I know for a fact that he has invested a great deal of time and expense in contacting and interviewing most of the people involved with the production of our beloved series. So, just based on the blood, sweat and tears he has already put into the project, I seriously doubt that Bryan would be willing to let it fizzle at this late stage of the game. However, I also know that he has experienced some personal setbacks over the last year that have necessitated his expending his energies on other things besides the preparation of the book. I can't stress strongly enough that the project is a labor of love for him. No one is funding or under-writing his research, so everything that has gone into the project has come directly out of his pocket. I firmly believe the book will see the light of day, but I can't speak to when. I sincerely hope it is sooner than later, as I'm just as anxious to read the volume as everyone else. From the little I've seen in corresponding with Bryan, it promises to be a real treat. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, and hope for the best.

      Regarding Angela Roland's performance as Vangie Abbot, I couldn't agree with you guys more. She had poise and a very interesting screen presence. I've tried to do research of my own into her career, but I've unearthed precious little. Aside from her time on STRANGE PARADISE, I can only find references to two other productions in which she performed. Both were stage performances with a troupe called Theater New Brunswick, and both were directed by SP director Herb Roland (Angela's husband). One of those plays was produced in early in 1969, and the other in mid 1972. Otherwise, I have been unable to find any further trace of her dramatic career. She and Herb Roland eventually divorced, so there's always the possibility that the split also ended her acting career. But I'm only speculating here, so please don't take that as anything more than a random theory. I understand that, as of last year, she was still around and living somewhere up in Canada, so perhaps we'll hear more from her at some point.
      -Curt

      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, david whitehead <davewhitehead2003@...> wrote:

      > Angela Roland played Vangie with class and dignity. Facially she always reminded me a bit of Jill Ireland. Incidentally, can anyone tell me what's happened to the proposed STRANGE PARADISE book that was scheduled for publication in 2009?
      >

      > Best,
      > Dave
      >
      > visit me at
      > www.benbridges.co.uk

    • mastomy
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2010
        Deb,
        Thanks for reposting! I really appreciate it.
        Robin