Re: [Strange Paradise] "The Devil's Whore"

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
      Dear David and other fans,

      Yes, Colin Fox is an actor of extraordinary powers, judging from his work on SP. I've also seen stills from his stage work that made it clear that he was an actor who could command tremendous energies in the service of his art.

      I have to say that although he is always very distinguished, I have yet to see anything else in his oeuvre that compares with the range he was allowed to show on Strange Paradise.

      In the 1990s he had a role in this syndicated series, The Psi Factor, and one of the episodes had a storyline that appears to have been intended as a tribute to Colin's amazing work on SP. I can't recall the title but perhaps another fan will step in (looks in Curt's direction...).

      I don't know whether Psi Factor has ever been released on DVD, or even if it was shown in the UK.

      Best, Steve
    • Curt
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
        --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, gothick42 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Dear David and other fans,
        >
        > Yes, Colin Fox is an actor of extraordinary powers, judging from his work on SP. I've also seen stills from his stage work that made it clear that he was an actor who could command tremendous energies in the service of his art.
        >
        > I have to say that although he is always very distinguished, I have yet to see anything else in his oeuvre that compares with the range he was allowed to show on Strange Paradise.
        >
        > In the 1990s he had a role in this syndicated series, The Psi Factor, and one of the episodes had a storyline that appears to have been intended as a tribute to Colin's amazing work on SP. I can't recall the title but perhaps another fan will step in (looks in Curt's direction...).
        >
        > I don't know whether Psi Factor has ever been released on DVD, or even if it was shown in the UK.
        >
        > Best, Steve

      • david whitehead
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
          It appears at the moment that PSI FACTOR season 3 is all that's available on DVD. I just bought it via Amazon. But I'm hopeful that the remaining series will also become available in time. They've already been announced on Lovefilm, so a DVD release is (hopefully) definitely in the works. When my set arrives I'll let you all know whether or not it's worth rushing out to buy!

          Best,
          Dave

          visit me at
          www.benbridges.co.uk

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
            Heavens, Steve, what are you looking at me for? Okay, here's the skinny: Back in 1998, Colin Fox played Dr. Anton Hendricks on the series PSI FACTOR: CHRONICLES OF THE PARANORMAL. I have only seen sporadic episodes of the series, so I'm no expert on the overall story arc, but apparently there was some sort of ongoing thing regarding the assumed death of his character's wife, Nicole. (She was involved in a car crash that could only have been fatal, but her body vanished, never to be recovered.) The eighth episode of Season Three is titled "Return," and deals with the miraculous reappearance of Nicole through a mystical portal known as "the Arch" (presumably, some sort of gateway to the afterlife). Hendricks is, of course, ecstatic over her return, but as he spends time with her he realizes her personality has radically changed. She does not remember details about her life prior to the accident, and in unguarded moments she gives the impression of being someone else entirely. Hendricks and some of his colleagues begin to think that perhaps something else from the Beyond has returned in Nicole's form for purposes unknown. As the episode unfolds, cryonics comes into play, and Hendricks becomes convinced that the resurrected Nicole is NOT the woman he married. I won't spoil the ending here, but I will say that the episode ends equally as tragically as Erica's story on STRANGE PARADISE.

            While I've never seen any scholarly documentation of the connection, the common elements in the stories seem too distinct to be coincidental (especially the cryonics twist). Add in the fact that Colin Fox was pivotal to both storylines, and that both SP and PSI FACTOR were Canadian series, and it's hard to conclude anything but that "Return" was meant as an homage to Fox's earlier series.

            By all reports, PSI FACTOR was quite popular in the U.K., and the entire series saw its first DVD release there (followed a year or two later by a release in Germany). Strangely, only Season Three has seen release here in the U.S. (in a bare bones edition which fans complained was very poorly manufactured and packaged). Thankfully, Alliance-Atlantis (the series' original production company), has just announced that they will be issuing Season One on DVD in July 2010 (with subsequent seasons expected to follow). These will be Canadian releases, but fans in the U.S. will be able to purchase them online easily, so the series will be available here to anyone who cares to acquire the sets. I already have NTSC (U.S. format) conversions of the episodes from the German sets, and a PAL (U.K. format) set of Season Three. But I may break down and pick up the new releases, if the price is sufficiently reasonable, to see if they have any bonus features. It would be great to see an interview or two with Colin Fox. Heck, perhaps they'll even discuss the SP roots of "Return." It's a long-shot, but I can dream.

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
              One other thing I neglected to remark on. This may be coincidental, but in Ian Martin's original outline of the Maljardin story, it was to have been revealed that Erica was involved in a disfiguring car crash, and this was the primary reason that Dr. Menkin was attending her. His experiments in cellular regeneration were to restore her disfigured face. Martin was dismissed before this part of his story was filmed, and the new writers discarded his plot for the story which was eventually presented on the show. It's unlikely that the writers of PSI FACTOR were familiar with this piece of ephemera, but interesting nonetheless that they had Colin Fox losing his wife to a car crash in their SP homage.

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
                That's interesting, and a little strange, that only season/series 3 was released in the UK. I wonder why? At least this way you do get to see the SP tribute episode, though. If I recall correctly, Nigel Bennett who was fabulous in Forever Knight also had a recurring role, a far less juicy one than he had on the earlier show, but it was still fun to see him on it. I could never get into the series myself... perhaps someday?

                Thanks, Curt, for your gracious stepping into the breach! Didn't mean to put you on the spot!

                cheers,

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 20, 2010
                  I hope you know I was kidding with my protest, Steve. I always love the chance to share my useless knowledge of television with others, especially when it ties in with STRANGE PARADISE. It's always great to discuss this sort of thing with you and the rest of the group. I really should compose an essay about the PSI FACTOR connection for www.maljardin.com, or at least add it to the SP entry I composed for Wikipedia. You're right, by the way; Nigel Bennett did have a role on PSI FACTOR.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 22, 2010
                    I am really interested in seeing this episode of "Psi Factor" ("The Return"). I wonder if anyone who has it could upload it to YouTube?
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 22, 2010
                      Hey, SPRules! I still owe you a DVD for your last correct answer to my trivia questions. I'll try to remember to dub a copy of "Return" and include it with your package as a bonus. Please give us your thoughts once you've had a chance to watch it.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 22, 2010
                        Okay, gang, various folks among us have chatted about the similarities between these two stories for a number of years now, so I thought it was about time to see if we can shed some light on the subject. PSI FACTOR's "Return" was written by a gentleman named James Nadler (who also had a hand in producing the series). I did some cursory Google searching and was able to track down contact info for Mr. Nadler at the university where he teaches up in Canada. So, I've written to him and asked bluntly whether or not "Return" was meant as an homage to SP. I have no idea if he'll respond to me, but there's at least a chance that we'll get some background to this story. Keep your fingers crossed, and I'll post here as soon as I hear anything.
                        -Curt
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 22, 2010
                          Curt, that's awesome! I hope you hear back from him. A friend sent me a VHS copy of "The Return" about ten years ago and I did watch it but I have practically no memory of it now.

                          It is intriguing to me if this was meant as an homage to SP because I still regard the period when Erica comes back as the most compelling sequence in the entire series. It's just so tightly done, beautifully paced, and with such a great cast of characters. There are one or two aspects that I do think of as speed bumps but the chemistry among the lead players is so amazing that they just carry you along through the story.

                          It would be fascinating to learn that James Nadler saw this either during the original broadcast or one of the many reruns and found it such riveting story-telling that he decided to do a tribute when fate brought him together with Mr. Fox on a supernaturally themed series.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 22, 2010
                            Well, Strangers, I'm really surprised to be posting this. But I don't think I can do any better than to share the comments of "Return"'s author himself. James Nadler writes:

                            "Okay, here's the scoop. I have to confess that I've never seen 'Strange Paradise' and cannot remember if Colin ever even mentioned it when we were doing 'Return'. So the parallels between the two stories are a complete coincidence. Now I am kind of curious about 'Strange Paradise' and will check out your website."

                            So there we have it. We can certainly enjoy the comparison of SP to "Return," but the similarities are completely unintentional. Weird how things like this crop up in entertainment and pop culture from time to time. I still hope anyone who watches "Return" in the coming weeks will share their impressions here.
                            -Curt

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 23, 2010
                              Thanks, Curt!
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 23, 2010
                                Once again, thanks Curt for your dilligent SP research.
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 23, 2010
                                  Well--either it is a complete out-of-the-blue coincidence (which of course is possible) or Nadler is being disingenuous to protect himself from accusations of plagiarism.

                                  It's amazingly cool that he did answer your letter, though. And thanks for sharing his reply!