I think I just found where the star of doom came from!

  • Jeanette and Edward Black
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2009
      I was just cruising the net looking at old Christmas movies when I came
      upon this site:

      http://lileks.com/bw/40s/xmas/index.html

      "Christmas Holiday" from the 40's which is one of the bleakest movies I
      have ever run across. It stars Gene Kelly as a very , very bad man.

      There is an embedded clip of the ending.......and there it is! I am
      quite sure that is the evil star itself that featured so much in the
      last episodes. The movement of the clouds seem to be the same. Mind
      you, on Christmas Day after drinking hot rum toddies, who knows if I am
      right!

      Take a look and see what you think

      Jeanette
      Ottawa, Canada
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2009
        Wow, that looks just like the Desmond star! Just colorize it!
      • Jeanette and Edward Black
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2009
          I wonder if there are any more clips we could find that were used in SP?
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2009
            Neat discovery, Jeanette! Since this film was shot in black & white, I seriously doubt that the footage of the star in STRANGE PARADISE is actually footage from CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. However, I would not be surprised if whomever was handling the visual effects for SP had seen CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, and was copying that sequence. Heck, it's even possible that the person who did the effect of the star for SP was even the same technician who did the effect in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, and was simply re-creating his earlier work. Of course, I'm only speculating here, but it wouldn't be the first time that a cinema technician later replicated his work for a television series.

            In a similar vein to your star discovery, I know that our own Gothick has tracked down the historical source that was used as Jacques' contract with the Devil in the later weeks of SP. Here in the midst of the holidays, I don't know if he's checking in with the list regularly, but perhaps we can convince him to give everyone the low-down on that sometime soon.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2009
              Hey fans,

              Interesting thread about the evil pulsating star and the possible source from a cute Christmas movie from the 1940s. My more "sinister" side definitely appreciates the implied irony if that image was the source of the image for "the deadly star!" used on our beloved series.

              As Curt mentioned, I discovered by accident (while reading an encyclopedia article about the episode of "the Devils of Loudon" in French history) that the diabolical contract used in the final 13 week arc on SP was obviously copied from the contract produced at the trial of Loudon cleric Father Urbain Grandier. Check out the Wikipedia entry on Grandier:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbain_Grandier

              You can click on the image of the contract to see a larger version of the scan. I think the only change that was made was that a signature was added for Jacques Eloi des Mondes.

              The text of the entry gives a full transcription of the original contract together with an English translation, for those interested in demonology.

              Photographs of this contract have been routinely featured in encyclopedia entries on the history of such topics as witchcraft and diabolism, and I imagine that such an entry was where the production staff found this image which was used on the series.

              Holiday greetings all round,

              Steve (aka Gothick)
            • Jeanette and Edward Black
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2009
                "cute Christmas movie from the 1940s"

                Tee hee, it's anything but a cute movie. It involves a brutal husband,
                a doomed love, and violent death. It is considered one of the first of
                the noir movies. Check the link.

                Jeanette
                Ottawa, Canada