Colin Fox

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Dear fans,

      Thanks to Dan and Deborah for those thoughtful comments on the
      religious content of SP. I wonder whether the Church might have
      rushed to ban the series given the bad reputation Dark Shadows had
      earned in certain religious communities ... I have read that leaflets
      and pamphlets condemning Dark Shadows were distributed at many
      schools.

      For those of you who are Colin Fox fans, I just found this very
      interesting profile of Mr. Fox. I recently learned that he was NOT
      the original casting choice of Jean Paul on Strange Paradise.
      Original or not, I think everyone here will agree that Mr. Fox was
      the BEST choice for the role. I really cannot imagine Strange
      Paradise without the marvelous Colin Fox!

      Steve

      Colin Fox was one of the few students to have entered the National
      Theatre School of Canada holding an Equity card. He had earned it
      over a period of two summers slogging it as an apprentice in summer
      stock: building sets, doing prop runs, operating sound and lights and
      then walking on as detective no. 2 in "Craig's Wife" starring
      Talullah Bankhead.
      In his last year at NTS (after paying his way as replacement
      announcer at CBS Montreal and as CJAD's classical music host) Colin
      won the title role in CBC-TV production of "Macbeth," went on to co-
      star in Edward Albee's "Tiny Alice" at the Crest Theatre in Toronto,
      and enthusiastically accepting an "as cast" contract for the
      Stratford Shakespearian Festival - found himself with a season of
      slogging (again) through "Henry v - Henry VI" as filthy and
      disreputable soldier - speaking a grand total of 12 words.
      Finally on the brink of recognition Colin was offered one of
      the "Three Musketeers' (Aramis) which was to be televised , then
      included in Stratford's 1969 season. With the cameras rolling he flew
      out of second story window onto an awaiting trampoline, his boar
      snared in the webbing, and the resulting injury sidelined him for six
      months.
      While recovering he was offered the starring role in the gothic
      horror series "Strange Paradise" - which to this day retains a cult
      following that still remembers the "good" jean Paul Desmond doing
      battle with his alter ego: the "evil" Jacques Elois des Mondes.
      Now mostly in the world of television and film Colin continued to
      alternate between those good and bad guys - only not at the same
      time.
      A few examples:
      Ellen Burstyn's suitor in the feature "Silence of the North": back on
      the boards on Broadway as Rosemary Harris' neighbour who turns out to
      be a sup" pursued by Scotland Yard's Patrick McGoohan in "Pack of
      Lies": the dotty father in "Anteroom" opposite Elizabeth Wilson at
      Playwrights Horizon: a compassionate bishop in "The Equalizer": and a
      reluctant priest on "Law & Order".
      Over a four year period Colin co-starred in the TV series "psi
      Factor - Stories of the Paranormal" as psychiatrist Dr. Anton
      Hendricks, a role that has earned him a following from Texas to
      Stuttgart to Auckland.
      At the same time he was appearing in another television series - "The
      Adventures of Shirley Holmes". He'd leave the set of "psi Factor"
      fling his New York bow tie collection in a suitcase and head off to
      Winnipeg to play every high school's nemesis; The history teacher,
      Mr. Howie: a comical foil whose mishaps would bring Shirley and her
      sidekick Bo to the rescue! He even had to be rescued from the amorous
      clutches of Shelly Duvall who guest starred as a smitten librarian
      who case spells on poor Arthur Howie!
      Colin loves the contrast between the two utterly different characters
      in the two series. "I'm glad one was in Toronto and the other in
      Winnipeg - the flight gave me time to make the adjustment!"
      It wasn't until the end of "Shirley's" fourth season that Colin found
      out the Mr. Howie was based on a real life character who had been the
      bane of producer Kim Todd's high school existence!
      Although he has often joked that he never seems to get sent to exotic
      locations - the 90's broke is travelling dry spell:
      Nice and the French Riviera to film "Star for Two" with Anthony
      Quinna nd Lauren Bacall; To New Zealand for "The Sound and the
      Silence" Montana for "Return on Lonesome Dove" and best of all: Rome
      for six months as one of the survivors of a tunnel explosion and
      flood (rescued by Sylvester Stallone) in "Daylight". Claire Bloom
      played his wife. It was a grueling six month shoot at Rome's
      Cinecitta studios but it meant being in one of the great cities on
      earth. Colin's wife Carol joined him and their daughter Sarah who was
      enrolled in school in Italy. E ver since Colin & Carol have made
      plans to go back. Recently they toured Sicily for a month
      Colin and Carol decided that somewhere in Italy they would find a
      second home. Presently they live in an 1860's stone farmhouse outside
      of Toronto while Sarah is attending McGill university in Montreal.