Re: [Strange Paradise] Dorothy Daniels and the SP paperbacks

  • Cat
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
      I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.
       Cat

      Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
        Fans,

        For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

        http://www.maljardin.com/

        Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

        "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

      • debby1847
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
          HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

          Debby

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
            I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

            I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

            The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).