no fourth SP novel

  • strangeparadiselibrary
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "mastomy" <mastomy@...> wrote:
      ...No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end...

      >You're quite correct about the formulaic (often predictable) nature of Dorothy Daniels' SP paperbacks. However,there is an even more compelling reason that the no further novels appeared after RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS. Daniels' third SP novel was published in August 1970, three months AFTER the tv series ceased production. The novels were basically conceived as a tie-in promotion to hype the tv show. With no television counterpart to promote, and with a limited fan base to market to, Paperback Library probably found it pointless to continue with further novels. Sad, but true.

      However, later in the 1970s a few more STRANGE PARADISE-related paperbacks did see print. Admittedly, they were not actual SP novels, but they were written by SP creator Ian Martin (under the pseudonym Joen Arliss), and a couple of them borrow elements of the Maljardin story liberally. In particular, the Popular Library release NIGHTMARE'S NEST has components very remniscent of Martin's early SP work (terror in an ancient manor house situated on an inaccessible island which is cut off from the mainland by a treacherous water hazard). Actually, a large segment of the beginning of NIGHTMARE'S NEST reads like a collision of the first year of DARK SHADOWS and the Maljardin era of STRANGE PARADISE. Early in the book, a young orphaned woman travels by train to her new job as a governess/companion to a family in an isolated mansion which she has never before seen). On the train, she meets someone who has lived at the house, but has been away for years, warning her not to take the job,and to turn back while she still has time. Once in the house, she is confronted by a Raxl-esque housekeeper, and strange goings-on which place her life in danger. If you're interested in seeing more gothic horror from the man who created STRANGE PARADISE, the book is definitely worth a read. If anybody out there wants to hear more about this type of thing, speak up and I'll chat more about Martin's other novels. -Curt

    • chrisleopard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
        Cat,
        When I went to one of the Dark Shadows conventions years ago we were
        told, I forgot by who that both authors were men, Go figure. I hated the DS
        novels.
        Chris

        In a message dated 9/10/2009 6:02:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        Catalyna_99@... writes:

        Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It
        usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15
        pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
        Cat

        Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pret
        ending.--Kermit the Frog

      • theldret
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
          SP Friends,

          I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
          >
          > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
          >
          > All best,
          >
          > Tom Heldreth
          >
          > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
          > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
          > >
          > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
          > >

          > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
          > >

          > > ____________ _________ _________ __

        • Terry Hoknes
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
            There are always book dealers that price books ridiculously high knowing that if the book ever sells out then they will make a killing to the bank
            there are thousands of dealers that do this
            its frustrating to see why they would bother charging so much
            but you will find this happens on every old book ever published

            I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
            >
            > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
            >
            > All best,
            >
            > Tom Heldreth
            >
            > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
            > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
            > >
            > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney. The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island. But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue. Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
            > >

            > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
            > >

            > > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Cat
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
              I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                Fans,

                For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

                http://www.maljardin.com/

                Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

                "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

              • debby1847
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
                  HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

                  Debby

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
                    I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

                    I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

                    The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).