Re: [Strange Paradise] Re: SP #3: Raxl, Voodoo Priestess

  • Cat
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
      $100 for a paperback to a tv tie-in? Mmmmmm I do love the show, but agree: it is a bit excessive!
       Cat

      Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
        Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15 pen names for the different types of novels he did write.

        From: chrisleopard@ aol.com <chrisleopard@ aol.com>
        Subject: Re: [Strange Paradise] Re: SP's 40th anniversary!
        To: strangeparadise2@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 5:14 PM

        I have all three in my collection. I liked the writing better in this

        series than I did in the Dark Shadows series that he wrote as Dorothy Daniels

        was a man writing under a woman's name. The Strange Paradise books were more

        like the show where as the Dark Shadow Books didn't follow the show at

        all.

        Chris

        In a message dated 9/9/2009 9:25:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

        mastomy@comcast. net writes:

        The third book was titled "Raxl, Voodoo Priestress". I don't remember the

        plot exactly but I would think a guy and a girl come to the island and bad

        things start happening around them. In the end, of course, they escape

        and Jacques loses again. No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth.

        You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end. One thing I remember

        that I liked about the books, though, is they gave some background info

        about Jean Paul Desmond.

        --- In strangeparadise2@ yahoogroups. com, Cat <Catalyna_99@ ...> wrote:

        > There were three novels? I just have the first two then. What is the

        title/plot of the third? Unlike the DS novels, the SP ones actually felt like

        the series.

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
          After chatting with Curt about the books, I decided to re-read them. I used to own all three but the only one I still had was the first one. I got the other two via a site called Abebooks. I paid five or six dollars for each. That's unbelievable that a vendor would price a mass market paperback like that for $100! Did it have Cosette Lee's autograph on it, or some other special element to make it exceptional? One has to wonder.

          So far, I think the best of the books is the second one, entitled Island of Evil (try searching it on the sites as Strange Paradise because Island of Evil brings up a lot of unrelated books). The highlight of this novel is a chapter in which Jacques sends Raxl back in time to re-live the day in the 1600s when Quito was killed and raised as a zombie. It gives further details of Raxl and Quito's backstory. Unfortunately they changed the story when Harding Lemay took over the writing during the last 13 weeks, but if you're a fan of the Maljardin story (which I am, obviously) it is very cool because it explains more about the shared past of Raxl, Quito, and Jacques.

          The second book also allows Raxl to use her powers more than was the case on the series (presumably due to budgetary limitations and also perhaps because in Ian Martin's concept, the supernatural elements were threaded into the storyline in a more muted manner). The story gives more of an edge to the relationships between Raxl, Jacques, and Jean Paul.

          I just started reading the third novel this morning on my commute. The set-up includes a Mafia element that doesn't really fit very well with the themes of Strange Paradise. The character of Laurie seems a little bit like Holly in that she is rude and rebellious.

        • strangeparadiselibrary
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "mastomy" <mastomy@...> wrote:
            ...No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end...

            >You're quite correct about the formulaic (often predictable) nature of Dorothy Daniels' SP paperbacks. However,there is an even more compelling reason that the no further novels appeared after RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS. Daniels' third SP novel was published in August 1970, three months AFTER the tv series ceased production. The novels were basically conceived as a tie-in promotion to hype the tv show. With no television counterpart to promote, and with a limited fan base to market to, Paperback Library probably found it pointless to continue with further novels. Sad, but true.

            However, later in the 1970s a few more STRANGE PARADISE-related paperbacks did see print. Admittedly, they were not actual SP novels, but they were written by SP creator Ian Martin (under the pseudonym Joen Arliss), and a couple of them borrow elements of the Maljardin story liberally. In particular, the Popular Library release NIGHTMARE'S NEST has components very remniscent of Martin's early SP work (terror in an ancient manor house situated on an inaccessible island which is cut off from the mainland by a treacherous water hazard). Actually, a large segment of the beginning of NIGHTMARE'S NEST reads like a collision of the first year of DARK SHADOWS and the Maljardin era of STRANGE PARADISE. Early in the book, a young orphaned woman travels by train to her new job as a governess/companion to a family in an isolated mansion which she has never before seen). On the train, she meets someone who has lived at the house, but has been away for years, warning her not to take the job,and to turn back while she still has time. Once in the house, she is confronted by a Raxl-esque housekeeper, and strange goings-on which place her life in danger. If you're interested in seeing more gothic horror from the man who created STRANGE PARADISE, the book is definitely worth a read. If anybody out there wants to hear more about this type of thing, speak up and I'll chat more about Martin's other novels. -Curt

          • chrisleopard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
              Cat,
              When I went to one of the Dark Shadows conventions years ago we were
              told, I forgot by who that both authors were men, Go figure. I hated the DS
              novels.
              Chris

              In a message dated 9/10/2009 6:02:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              Catalyna_99@... writes:

              Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It
              usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15
              pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
              Cat

              Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pret
              ending.--Kermit the Frog

            • theldret
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                SP Friends,

                I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                >
                > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                >
                > All best,
                >
                > Tom Heldreth
                >
                > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                > >
                > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                > >

                > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                > >

                > > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Terry Hoknes
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                  There are always book dealers that price books ridiculously high knowing that if the book ever sells out then they will make a killing to the bank
                  there are thousands of dealers that do this
                  its frustrating to see why they would bother charging so much
                  but you will find this happens on every old book ever published

                  I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                  --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                  >
                  > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                  >
                  > All best,
                  >
                  > Tom Heldreth
                  >
                  > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                  > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                  > >
                  > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney. The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island. But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue. Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                  > >

                  > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                  > >

                  > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Cat
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                    I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                      Fans,

                      For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

                      http://www.maljardin.com/

                      Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

                      "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

                    • debby1847
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
                        HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

                        Debby

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
                          I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

                          I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

                          The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).