Re: [Strange Paradise] Re: SP's 40th anniversary!

  • Curt Ladnier
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
      Thanks for sharing your memories of STRANGE PARADISE in the L.A. area, Chris.  I had no idea that so many folks audio taped the show back in the day.  By any chance, does your surviving reel-to-reel tape(s) contain any audio from the Episode 170 range?  It would be awesome if you turned out to have the audio track for Episode 171 (the installment currently missing from the series' syndication package).  If by some miracle that one appears on your tape, please let us know so we can try to preserve it.  It's possible that home recordings like these are the only record left of this missing installment (if even a home tape exists).

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
        Actually, Dorothy Daniels was a real woman, and an award-winning gothic novelist.  I have photos of her, so I know she was not just a pseudonym.  However, her husband Norman Daniels was also a prolific author, and it is true that there has been heavy speculation that he actually wrote the books bearing the Dorothy Daniels byline.  While it's possible that Norman was the actual author of the SP novels, there's no solid documentation proving that anyone besides Dorothy wrote the books that appeared under her name.  Until compelling evidence to the contrary surfaces, I have to believe the Dorothy wrote the novels credited to her.

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
          --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
          ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...

          The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.

          Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
            Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,

            Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?

            All best,

            Tom Heldreth

            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

            > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
            > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
            >
            > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
            >

            > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Cat
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
              $100 for a paperback to a tv tie-in? Mmmmmm I do love the show, but agree: it is a bit excessive!
               Cat

              Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

              ________________________________
              Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings... $100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?

              All best,

              Tom Heldreth

              --- In strangeparadise2@ yahoogroups. com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselib rary@...> wrote:

              > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@ ...> wrote:
              > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
              >
              > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
              >

              > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Cat
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15 pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
                 Cat

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                  After chatting with Curt about the books, I decided to re-read them. I used to own all three but the only one I still had was the first one. I got the other two via a site called Abebooks. I paid five or six dollars for each. That's unbelievable that a vendor would price a mass market paperback like that for $100! Did it have Cosette Lee's autograph on it, or some other special element to make it exceptional? One has to wonder.

                  So far, I think the best of the books is the second one, entitled Island of Evil (try searching it on the sites as Strange Paradise because Island of Evil brings up a lot of unrelated books). The highlight of this novel is a chapter in which Jacques sends Raxl back in time to re-live the day in the 1600s when Quito was killed and raised as a zombie. It gives further details of Raxl and Quito's backstory. Unfortunately they changed the story when Harding Lemay took over the writing during the last 13 weeks, but if you're a fan of the Maljardin story (which I am, obviously) it is very cool because it explains more about the shared past of Raxl, Quito, and Jacques.

                  The second book also allows Raxl to use her powers more than was the case on the series (presumably due to budgetary limitations and also perhaps because in Ian Martin's concept, the supernatural elements were threaded into the storyline in a more muted manner). The story gives more of an edge to the relationships between Raxl, Jacques, and Jean Paul.

                  I just started reading the third novel this morning on my commute. The set-up includes a Mafia element that doesn't really fit very well with the themes of Strange Paradise. The character of Laurie seems a little bit like Holly in that she is rude and rebellious.

                • strangeparadiselibrary
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                    --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "mastomy" <mastomy@...> wrote:
                    ...No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end...

                    >You're quite correct about the formulaic (often predictable) nature of Dorothy Daniels' SP paperbacks. However,there is an even more compelling reason that the no further novels appeared after RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS. Daniels' third SP novel was published in August 1970, three months AFTER the tv series ceased production. The novels were basically conceived as a tie-in promotion to hype the tv show. With no television counterpart to promote, and with a limited fan base to market to, Paperback Library probably found it pointless to continue with further novels. Sad, but true.

                    However, later in the 1970s a few more STRANGE PARADISE-related paperbacks did see print. Admittedly, they were not actual SP novels, but they were written by SP creator Ian Martin (under the pseudonym Joen Arliss), and a couple of them borrow elements of the Maljardin story liberally. In particular, the Popular Library release NIGHTMARE'S NEST has components very remniscent of Martin's early SP work (terror in an ancient manor house situated on an inaccessible island which is cut off from the mainland by a treacherous water hazard). Actually, a large segment of the beginning of NIGHTMARE'S NEST reads like a collision of the first year of DARK SHADOWS and the Maljardin era of STRANGE PARADISE. Early in the book, a young orphaned woman travels by train to her new job as a governess/companion to a family in an isolated mansion which she has never before seen). On the train, she meets someone who has lived at the house, but has been away for years, warning her not to take the job,and to turn back while she still has time. Once in the house, she is confronted by a Raxl-esque housekeeper, and strange goings-on which place her life in danger. If you're interested in seeing more gothic horror from the man who created STRANGE PARADISE, the book is definitely worth a read. If anybody out there wants to hear more about this type of thing, speak up and I'll chat more about Martin's other novels. -Curt

                  • chrisleopard@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                      Cat,
                      When I went to one of the Dark Shadows conventions years ago we were
                      told, I forgot by who that both authors were men, Go figure. I hated the DS
                      novels.
                      Chris

                      In a message dated 9/10/2009 6:02:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                      Catalyna_99@... writes:

                      Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It
                      usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15
                      pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
                      Cat

                      Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pret
                      ending.--Kermit the Frog

                    • theldret
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                        SP Friends,

                        I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                        --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                        >
                        > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                        >
                        > All best,
                        >
                        > Tom Heldreth
                        >
                        > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                        > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                        > >
                        > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                        > >

                        > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                        > >

                        > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Terry Hoknes
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                          There are always book dealers that price books ridiculously high knowing that if the book ever sells out then they will make a killing to the bank
                          there are thousands of dealers that do this
                          its frustrating to see why they would bother charging so much
                          but you will find this happens on every old book ever published

                          I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                          >
                          > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                          >
                          > All best,
                          >
                          > Tom Heldreth
                          >
                          > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                          > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                          > >
                          > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney. The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island. But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue. Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                          > >

                          > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                          > >

                          > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Cat
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                            I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.
                             Cat

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                              Fans,

                              For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

                              http://www.maljardin.com/

                              Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

                              "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

                            • debby1847
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
                                HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

                                Debby

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
                                  I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

                                  I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

                                  The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).