Re: [Strange Paradise] Re: SP's 40th anniversary!

  • chrisleopard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
      I never got to see the whole Maljardin storyline as the channel that was
      showing it pulled it her in LA after about 5 or 6 episodes. Then a year later
      another channel had it on and I was so happy as I thought I would get to
      see what I had missed. Alas the channel played the Desmond Hall Story line
      so I have yet to see all of Maljardin. I did like the Desmond Hall story
      line but I was so disappointed that it was Raxl doing all of the bad things.
      My mother would audio tape the show for me as well. Some where I still
      have my old reel to reel tape recorder and some of the Strange Paradise
      audios. I remember I cried when the show ended and I was sick for the last two
      weeks of the show's ending so I got to see it. I had a crush on Phillip
      Desmond back then.
      Chris

      In a message dated 9/9/2009 9:44:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Here's another vote for the Maljardin storyline! For whatever reason, I
      thought the end of the Maljardin story was also the end of the show for
      many, many years. I have no idea why... one reason why I wonder now whether
      what I saw was a summer re-run of the Maljardin episodes in 1970 on
      Metromedia 5?

      Some of my favorite things about the Maljardin story include the sharp,
      witty writing for Jacques (particularly in Ian Martin's episodes--this wasn't
      really continued after Ian Martin left)--the clever and creative use of
      tarot cards (as another fan reminded me just today, Ian Martin showed a much
      more sophisticated understanding of the Tarot than was the case with the
      Dark Shadows writers)--the intensity of Cosette Lee's performance as
      Raxl--and the music and look of the show, which really gave it very much its own
      identity--I personally NEVER thought of it as a Dark Shadows ripoff.

      As an adult viewer, I actually find the first Desmond Hall storyline to be
      the best written of the series, particularly during the weeks when Helena
      was on hand. But Maljardin will always be my personal favorite because it
      was through those shows that I came to know and love Strange Paradise.

      cheers,

    • Curt Ladnier
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
        Thanks for sharing your memories of STRANGE PARADISE in the L.A. area, Chris.  I had no idea that so many folks audio taped the show back in the day.  By any chance, does your surviving reel-to-reel tape(s) contain any audio from the Episode 170 range?  It would be awesome if you turned out to have the audio track for Episode 171 (the installment currently missing from the series' syndication package).  If by some miracle that one appears on your tape, please let us know so we can try to preserve it.  It's possible that home recordings like these are the only record left of this missing installment (if even a home tape exists).

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
          Actually, Dorothy Daniels was a real woman, and an award-winning gothic novelist.  I have photos of her, so I know she was not just a pseudonym.  However, her husband Norman Daniels was also a prolific author, and it is true that there has been heavy speculation that he actually wrote the books bearing the Dorothy Daniels byline.  While it's possible that Norman was the actual author of the SP novels, there's no solid documentation proving that anyone besides Dorothy wrote the books that appeared under her name.  Until compelling evidence to the contrary surfaces, I have to believe the Dorothy wrote the novels credited to her.

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
            --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
            ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...

            The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.

            Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
              Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,

              Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?

              All best,

              Tom Heldreth

              --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

              > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
              > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
              >
              > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
              >

              > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Cat
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                $100 for a paperback to a tv tie-in? Mmmmmm I do love the show, but agree: it is a bit excessive!
                 Cat

                Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

                ________________________________
                Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings... $100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?

                All best,

                Tom Heldreth

                --- In strangeparadise2@ yahoogroups. com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselib rary@...> wrote:

                > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@ ...> wrote:
                > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                >
                > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                >

                > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Cat
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                  Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15 pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
                   Cat

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                    After chatting with Curt about the books, I decided to re-read them. I used to own all three but the only one I still had was the first one. I got the other two via a site called Abebooks. I paid five or six dollars for each. That's unbelievable that a vendor would price a mass market paperback like that for $100! Did it have Cosette Lee's autograph on it, or some other special element to make it exceptional? One has to wonder.

                    So far, I think the best of the books is the second one, entitled Island of Evil (try searching it on the sites as Strange Paradise because Island of Evil brings up a lot of unrelated books). The highlight of this novel is a chapter in which Jacques sends Raxl back in time to re-live the day in the 1600s when Quito was killed and raised as a zombie. It gives further details of Raxl and Quito's backstory. Unfortunately they changed the story when Harding Lemay took over the writing during the last 13 weeks, but if you're a fan of the Maljardin story (which I am, obviously) it is very cool because it explains more about the shared past of Raxl, Quito, and Jacques.

                    The second book also allows Raxl to use her powers more than was the case on the series (presumably due to budgetary limitations and also perhaps because in Ian Martin's concept, the supernatural elements were threaded into the storyline in a more muted manner). The story gives more of an edge to the relationships between Raxl, Jacques, and Jean Paul.

                    I just started reading the third novel this morning on my commute. The set-up includes a Mafia element that doesn't really fit very well with the themes of Strange Paradise. The character of Laurie seems a little bit like Holly in that she is rude and rebellious.

                  • strangeparadiselibrary
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                      --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "mastomy" <mastomy@...> wrote:
                      ...No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end...

                      >You're quite correct about the formulaic (often predictable) nature of Dorothy Daniels' SP paperbacks. However,there is an even more compelling reason that the no further novels appeared after RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS. Daniels' third SP novel was published in August 1970, three months AFTER the tv series ceased production. The novels were basically conceived as a tie-in promotion to hype the tv show. With no television counterpart to promote, and with a limited fan base to market to, Paperback Library probably found it pointless to continue with further novels. Sad, but true.

                      However, later in the 1970s a few more STRANGE PARADISE-related paperbacks did see print. Admittedly, they were not actual SP novels, but they were written by SP creator Ian Martin (under the pseudonym Joen Arliss), and a couple of them borrow elements of the Maljardin story liberally. In particular, the Popular Library release NIGHTMARE'S NEST has components very remniscent of Martin's early SP work (terror in an ancient manor house situated on an inaccessible island which is cut off from the mainland by a treacherous water hazard). Actually, a large segment of the beginning of NIGHTMARE'S NEST reads like a collision of the first year of DARK SHADOWS and the Maljardin era of STRANGE PARADISE. Early in the book, a young orphaned woman travels by train to her new job as a governess/companion to a family in an isolated mansion which she has never before seen). On the train, she meets someone who has lived at the house, but has been away for years, warning her not to take the job,and to turn back while she still has time. Once in the house, she is confronted by a Raxl-esque housekeeper, and strange goings-on which place her life in danger. If you're interested in seeing more gothic horror from the man who created STRANGE PARADISE, the book is definitely worth a read. If anybody out there wants to hear more about this type of thing, speak up and I'll chat more about Martin's other novels. -Curt

                    • chrisleopard@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                        Cat,
                        When I went to one of the Dark Shadows conventions years ago we were
                        told, I forgot by who that both authors were men, Go figure. I hated the DS
                        novels.
                        Chris

                        In a message dated 9/10/2009 6:02:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        Catalyna_99@... writes:

                        Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It
                        usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15
                        pen names for the different types of novels he did write.
                        Cat

                        Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pret
                        ending.--Kermit the Frog

                      • theldret
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                          SP Friends,

                          I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                          >
                          > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                          >
                          > All best,
                          >
                          > Tom Heldreth
                          >
                          > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                          > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                          > >
                          > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                          > >

                          > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                          > >

                          > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Terry Hoknes
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                            There are always book dealers that price books ridiculously high knowing that if the book ever sells out then they will make a killing to the bank
                            there are thousands of dealers that do this
                            its frustrating to see why they would bother charging so much
                            but you will find this happens on every old book ever published

                            I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                            >
                            > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                            >
                            > All best,
                            >
                            > Tom Heldreth
                            >
                            > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                            > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                            > >
                            > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney. The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island. But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue. Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                            > >

                            > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                            > >

                            > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                          • Cat
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                              I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.
                               Cat

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                                Fans,

                                For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

                                http://www.maljardin.com/

                                Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

                                "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

                              • debby1847
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
                                  HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

                                  Debby

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
                                    I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

                                    I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

                                    The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).