Re: SP's 40th anniversary!

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 4, 2009
      Thanks, Curt, for the post about the 40th anniversary. Hard to believe!

      I was one of the ones watching in the Fall of 1969. We got it on Channel 5, I believe, which was affiliated with Metromedia. What I recall is that SP came on after DS (on a different channel, of course). I should try to get a Baltimore area TV guide from 1969-70 to try and make sure I'm not mis-remembering and that I really watched a rerun of the Maljardin storyline in the Summer of 1970! I've wondered about that in recent years. In my memory, it seems to me that it was summer when it was on, and that it went off the air for good after the final episode of Maljardin. I used to wonder "whatever happened to Jean-Paul, Raxl, Quito and Holly after the destruction of Maljardin?" Ah, had I only known!

      cheers, Steve
    • Cat
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 8, 2009
        Hmmm I know I'm down further in Maryland and I can't remember which station I used to watch on, but I know we got the whole series. I must admit, my favorite part of the series was while they were on Maljardin. Off the island, it was more like Dark Shadows, and well, I already was watching that.
         Cat

        Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

        ________________________________
        Thanks, Curt, for the post about the 40th anniversary. Hard to believe!

        I was one of the ones watching in the Fall of 1969. We got it on Channel 5, I believe, which was affiliated with Metromedia. What I recall is that SP came on after DS (on a different channel, of course). I should try to get a Baltimore area TV guide from 1969-70 to try and make sure I'm not mis-remembering and that I really watched a rerun of the Maljardin storyline in the Summer of 1970! I've wondered about that in recent years. In my memory, it seems to me that it was summer when it was on, and that it went off the air for good after the final episode of Maljardin. I used to wonder "whatever happened to Jean-Paul, Raxl, Quito and Holly after the destruction of Maljardin?" Ah, had I only known!

        cheers, Steve

      • strangeparadiselibrary
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 8, 2009
          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
          ... Off the island, it was more like Dark Shadows, and well, I already was watching that...

          A vote for the Maljardin storyline. Bravo, Cat! I so often hear fans talk about how slow-paced the Maljardin episodes are that I worry that folks don't acknowledge what a unique story that was. Very different from anything else I've ever seen on television. Don't get me wrong; I love the Desmond Hall stories dearly too. But without the Maljardin episodes there would have been no STRANGE PARADISE. -Curt

          > ________________________________

        • mastomy
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 8, 2009
            Hard to believe it's been 40 years! Seems just like the other day I was
            running home from school to hear the latest episode. (Towards the end of
            SP's run in the Boston/Providence area, the time slot was changed to
            10am on weekdays from 7pm.) My mother used to tape it for me - that is
            audio tape it - so I could listen to it when I got home. It's no wonder
            I think the DVDs taped from Drive In Classics are so great! Keep up
            the great work, Curt!

            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "strangeparadiselibrary"
            <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

            > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Cat Catalyna_99@ wrote:
            > ... Off the island, it was more like Dark Shadows, and well, I already
            was watching that...

            > A vote for the Maljardin storyline. Bravo, Cat! I so often hear fans
            talk about how slow-paced the Maljardin episodes are that I worry that
            folks don't acknowledge what a unique story that was. Very different
            from anything else I've ever seen on television. Don't get me wrong; I
            love the Desmond Hall stories dearly too. But without the Maljardin
            episodes there would have been no STRANGE PARADISE. -Curt

            > > ________________________________

          • Cat
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
              You've got it right, Curt. The Maljardin storyline was definitely different from what was on tv at the time. I never thought it was too slow even as a kid! Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the Desmond Hall storyline, but I loved the Maljardin storyline. I also liked Raxl better in Maljardin than Desmond Hall. I was getting confused and kept hoping she was under a spell...
               Cat

              Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.--Kermit the Frog

              ________________________________
              ... Off the island, it was more like Dark Shadows, and well, I already was watching that...

              A vote for the Maljardin storyline. Bravo, Cat! I so often hear fans talk about how slow-paced the Maljardin episodes are that I worry that folks don't acknowledge what a unique story that was. Very different from anything else I've ever seen on television. Don't get me wrong; I love the Desmond Hall stories dearly too. But without the Maljardin episodes there would have been no STRANGE PARADISE. -Curt

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • tschantz_rick
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:

                > You've got it right, Curt. The Maljardin storyline was definitely
                different from what was on tv at the time. I never thought it was too
                slow even as a kid! Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the Desmond Hall
                storyline, but I loved the Maljardin storyline. I also liked Raxl better
                in Maljardin than Desmond Hall. I was getting confused and kept hoping
                she was under a spell...
                > Cat
                >

                > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep
                pretending.--Kermit the Frog

                > ________________________________

                made it's TV debut. The year was 1969, the moon walk was still on
                everyone's mind and I was a 9th grader at Highland Park Junior High
                School in Topeka, Kansas. Let's not forget that another milestone in
                television made it's debut that fall and is still going strong-SESAME
                STREET on PBS (you know, "Sunny Days, Keepin' the Clouds Away). Also The
                Brady Bunch debuted that year, but it wasn't until the summer of 1970,
                that I gave STRANGE PARADISE a serious look (it had moved from it's 12
                noon time slot on KMBC Channel Nine in Kansas City to 12:30 AM (or
                later depending how long the 10:30 PM movie ran). It is a real joy to be
                able to see it again and when I started collecting DARK SHADOW videos, I
                wondered what had become of SP!. I found the first paperback novel at
                the DS convention in 1991 and have all three. To you STRANGE PARADISE,
                and all your characters, may you live forever in the hearts of all your
                fans!

                Happy 4oth Anniversary!
                Rick

              • Cat
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                  There were three novels? I just have the first two then. What is the title/plot of the third? Unlike the DS novels, the SP ones actually felt like the series.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                    The third book was titled "Raxl, Voodoo Priestress". I don't remember the plot exactly but I would think a guy and a girl come to the island and bad things start happening around them. In the end, of course, they escape and Jacques loses again. No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end. One thing I remember that I liked about the books, though, is they gave some background info about Jean Paul Desmond.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                      Here's another vote for the Maljardin storyline! For whatever reason, I thought the end of the Maljardin story was also the end of the show for many, many years. I have no idea why... one reason why I wonder now whether what I saw was a summer re-run of the Maljardin episodes in 1970 on Metromedia 5?

                      Some of my favorite things about the Maljardin story include the sharp, witty writing for Jacques (particularly in Ian Martin's episodes--this wasn't really continued after Ian Martin left)--the clever and creative use of tarot cards (as another fan reminded me just today, Ian Martin showed a much more sophisticated understanding of the Tarot than was the case with the Dark Shadows writers)--the intensity of Cosette Lee's performance as Raxl--and the music and look of the show, which really gave it very much its own identity--I personally NEVER thought of it as a Dark Shadows ripoff.

                      As an adult viewer, I actually find the first Desmond Hall storyline to be the best written of the series, particularly during the weeks when Helena was on hand. But Maljardin will always be my personal favorite because it was through those shows that I came to know and love Strange Paradise.

                      cheers,

                      Steve
                    • chrisleopard@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                        I have all three in my collection. I liked the writing better in this
                        series than I did in the Dark Shadows series that he wrote as Dorothy Daniels
                        was a man writing under a woman's name. The Strange Paradise books were more
                        like the show where as the Dark Shadow Books didn't follow the show at
                        all.
                        Chris

                      • chrisleopard@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                          I never got to see the whole Maljardin storyline as the channel that was
                          showing it pulled it her in LA after about 5 or 6 episodes. Then a year later
                          another channel had it on and I was so happy as I thought I would get to
                          see what I had missed. Alas the channel played the Desmond Hall Story line
                          so I have yet to see all of Maljardin. I did like the Desmond Hall story
                          line but I was so disappointed that it was Raxl doing all of the bad things.
                          My mother would audio tape the show for me as well. Some where I still
                          have my old reel to reel tape recorder and some of the Strange Paradise
                          audios. I remember I cried when the show ended and I was sick for the last two
                          weeks of the show's ending so I got to see it. I had a crush on Phillip
                          Desmond back then.
                          Chris

                          In a message dated 9/9/2009 9:44:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

[...]

                        • Curt Ladnier
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                            Thanks for sharing your memories of STRANGE PARADISE in the L.A. area, Chris.  I had no idea that so many folks audio taped the show back in the day.  By any chance, does your surviving reel-to-reel tape(s) contain any audio from the Episode 170 range?  It would be awesome if you turned out to have the audio track for Episode 171 (the installment currently missing from the series' syndication package).  If by some miracle that one appears on your tape, please let us know so we can try to preserve it.  It's possible that home recordings like these are the only record left of this missing installment (if even a home tape exists).

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                              Actually, Dorothy Daniels was a real woman, and an award-winning gothic novelist.  I have photos of her, so I know she was not just a pseudonym.  However, her husband Norman Daniels was also a prolific author, and it is true that there has been heavy speculation that he actually wrote the books bearing the Dorothy Daniels byline.  While it's possible that Norman was the actual author of the SP novels, there's no solid documentation proving that anyone besides Dorothy wrote the books that appeared under her name.  Until compelling evidence to the contrary surfaces, I have to believe the Dorothy wrote the novels credited to her.

                              mastomy@comcast. net writes:

                              The third book was titled "Raxl, Voodoo Priestress". I don't remember the

                              plot exactly but I would think a guy and a girl come to the island and bad

                              things start happening around them. In the end, of course, they escape

                              and Jacques loses again. No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth.

                              You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end. One thing I remember

                              that I liked about the books, though, is they gave some background info

                              about Jean Paul Desmond.

                              --- In strangeparadise2@ yahoogroups. com, Cat <Catalyna_99@ ...> wrote:

                              > There were three novels? I just have the first two then. What is the

                              title/plot of the third? Unlike the DS novels, the SP ones actually felt like

                              the series.

                              > Cat

                            • Curt Ladnier
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                                --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
                                ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...

                                The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.

                                wrote:

                                > ... Off the island, it was more like Dark Shadows, and well, I already

                                was watching that...

                                > A vote for the Maljardin storyline. Bravo, Cat! I so often hear fans

                                talk about how slow-paced the Maljardin episodes are that I worry that

                                folks don't acknowledge what a unique story that was. Very different

                                from anything else I've ever seen on television. Don't get me wrong; I

                                love the Desmond Hall stories dearly too. But without the Maljardin

                                episodes there would have been no STRANGE PARADISE. -Curt

                                > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                              • theldret
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 9, 2009
                                  Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,

                                  Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?

                                  All best,

                                  Tom Heldreth

                                  --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@...> wrote:

                                  > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@...> wrote:
                                  > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                                  >
                                  > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                                  >

                                  > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                                  >

                                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                • Cat
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                    $100 for a paperback to a tv tie-in? Mmmmmm I do love the show, but agree: it is a bit excessive!

                                  • Cat
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                      Dan Ross wrote the Dark Shadows tie-ins under the name of Marilyn Ross. It usually only took him only three weeks to write a book. He has 14 or 15 pen names for the different types of novels he did write.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                        After chatting with Curt about the books, I decided to re-read them. I used to own all three but the only one I still had was the first one. I got the other two via a site called Abebooks. I paid five or six dollars for each. That's unbelievable that a vendor would price a mass market paperback like that for $100! Did it have Cosette Lee's autograph on it, or some other special element to make it exceptional? One has to wonder.

                                        So far, I think the best of the books is the second one, entitled Island of Evil (try searching it on the sites as Strange Paradise because Island of Evil brings up a lot of unrelated books). The highlight of this novel is a chapter in which Jacques sends Raxl back in time to re-live the day in the 1600s when Quito was killed and raised as a zombie. It gives further details of Raxl and Quito's backstory. Unfortunately they changed the story when Harding Lemay took over the writing during the last 13 weeks, but if you're a fan of the Maljardin story (which I am, obviously) it is very cool because it explains more about the shared past of Raxl, Quito, and Jacques.

                                        The second book also allows Raxl to use her powers more than was the case on the series (presumably due to budgetary limitations and also perhaps because in Ian Martin's concept, the supernatural elements were threaded into the storyline in a more muted manner). The story gives more of an edge to the relationships between Raxl, Jacques, and Jean Paul.

                                        I just started reading the third novel this morning on my commute. The set-up includes a Mafia element that doesn't really fit very well with the themes of Strange Paradise. The character of Laurie seems a little bit like Holly in that she is rude and rebellious.

                                      • strangeparadiselibrary
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "mastomy" <mastomy@...> wrote:
                                          ...No wonder Dorothy Daniels didn't write a fourth. You kind of knew what was going to happen in the end...

                                          >You're quite correct about the formulaic (often predictable) nature of Dorothy Daniels' SP paperbacks. However,there is an even more compelling reason that the no further novels appeared after RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS. Daniels' third SP novel was published in August 1970, three months AFTER the tv series ceased production. The novels were basically conceived as a tie-in promotion to hype the tv show. With no television counterpart to promote, and with a limited fan base to market to, Paperback Library probably found it pointless to continue with further novels. Sad, but true.

                                          However, later in the 1970s a few more STRANGE PARADISE-related paperbacks did see print. Admittedly, they were not actual SP novels, but they were written by SP creator Ian Martin (under the pseudonym Joen Arliss), and a couple of them borrow elements of the Maljardin story liberally. In particular, the Popular Library release NIGHTMARE'S NEST has components very remniscent of Martin's early SP work (terror in an ancient manor house situated on an inaccessible island which is cut off from the mainland by a treacherous water hazard). Actually, a large segment of the beginning of NIGHTMARE'S NEST reads like a collision of the first year of DARK SHADOWS and the Maljardin era of STRANGE PARADISE. Early in the book, a young orphaned woman travels by train to her new job as a governess/companion to a family in an isolated mansion which she has never before seen). On the train, she meets someone who has lived at the house, but has been away for years, warning her not to take the job,and to turn back while she still has time. Once in the house, she is confronted by a Raxl-esque housekeeper, and strange goings-on which place her life in danger. If you're interested in seeing more gothic horror from the man who created STRANGE PARADISE, the book is definitely worth a read. If anybody out there wants to hear more about this type of thing, speak up and I'll chat more about Martin's other novels. -Curt

                                        • chrisleopard@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                            Cat,
                                            When I went to one of the Dark Shadows conventions years ago we were
                                            told, I forgot by who that both authors were men, Go figure. I hated the DS
                                            novels.
                                            Chris

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                              SP Friends,

                                              I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                                              --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                              > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                                              >
                                              > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                                              >
                                              > All best,
                                              >
                                              > Tom Heldreth
                                              >
                                              > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                                              > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                                              > >
                                              > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney.  The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island.  But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue.  Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                                              > >

                                              > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                                              > >

                                              > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                            • Terry Hoknes
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 10, 2009
                                                There are always book dealers that price books ridiculously high knowing that if the book ever sells out then they will make a killing to the bank
                                                there are thousands of dealers that do this
                                                its frustrating to see why they would bother charging so much
                                                but you will find this happens on every old book ever published

                                                I hope that I did not mislead anyone with my previous message about SP Novel #3. Amazon.com does indeed have several cheaper offerings in the $4-7 range that are described as being in "good" or even "very good" condition. However, there were indeed some offerings at prices such as $72.94 and $105.40. I checked, and these are not autographed copies or anything out of the ordinary. Abe.com, which is a Canadian subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., is also a reliable source with excellent service. They are based in Victoria, BC, and I have always had great results when ordering from them. I do urge everyone to get a copy of the three novels regardless of the source. They are definitely keepsakes!

                                                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, theldret <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                                > Curt, Cat, and other SP friends,
                                                >
                                                > Amazon.com has all three SP novels available. Some of the prices are quite reasonable, but check out some of the offerings...$100 or more. Now I love these books and cherish my copies, but that's a tad excessive, don't you think?
                                                >
                                                > All best,
                                                >
                                                > Tom Heldreth
                                                >
                                                > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Curt Ladnier <strangeparadiselibrary@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Cat <Catalyna_99@> wrote:
                                                > > ...What is the title/plot of the third? ...
                                                > >
                                                > > The rear cover of RAXL, VOODOO PRIESTESS says:"Jean Paul Desmond shelters Laurie Keeler and her fiance on Maljardin at the request of Dan Forrest, his attorney. The young couple are being pursued by gangsters, and Jean Paul believes they will be safe on his isolated, invulnerable island. But much to Jean Paul's surprisse, attacks on their lives continue. Soon everyone on the island is in terrible danger..."If for no other reason, this one is worth a look for the chapter which relates a portion of Jacques' life as a pirate in the 1600s.
                                                > >

                                                > > Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending.- -Kermit the Frog
                                                > >

                                                > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                              • Cat
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                                                  I think there were only one or two I liked. But, for the most part, they totally missed the mark. I always thought the SP novels were much better to fitting the show and characters.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 11, 2009
                                                    Fans,

                                                    For those interested in reading Curt's notes about the Ian Martin novels, check out his site:

                                                    http://www.maljardin.com/

                                                    Look for the article "Ian Martin's Other Paradise" in the section of "Articles, Essays and Ephemera" on the site; notes about Ian Martin's books (published under a pen name) are towards the bottom of that page.

                                                    "Nightmare's Nest" seems easy to find. Now I'm curious to read it!

                                                  • debby1847
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 12, 2009
                                                      HI EVERYONE, I found the novels in a used book store.

                                                      Debby

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 15, 2009
                                                        I finished reading this book last weekend. I found it in some ways the least satisfying of the three, but there were a couple of highlight chapters (I think around chapters 8 and 9) which included a flashback to Jacques' "pirate buccaneer" phase which seems to have been part of Ian Martin's original notes and then was dropped from the actual aired scripts.

                                                        I also thought the ending was handled in a suspenseful, exciting way, which almost compensated for how badly and frequently the story stalled along the way.

                                                        The final comment I will make about this book is that the title implies that this is a "showcase" story for Raxl. In fact, she gets to do a lot more in the book that precedes this one--"Island of Evil"--and gets her own flashback in which we learn what may have been Ian Martin's original version of her backstory (subsequently supplanted in Skip Lemay's scripts for the final 13 weeks).