SP on DVD?? some sad news on that front

  • mark
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
      Well I have gotten a disturbing E-Mail concerning the series ever
      comming out on dvd and the news is not good
      As alot of you know (and if you dont ill refresh you)I was a
      security guard at a warehouse in Pittsburgh that held alot of tv and
      films
      part of the catalog was a complete 1 and 2 inch dubs of the show SP
      Over the last few months i have been seeing what could be done with
      the tapes before they were junked (they now have been) but i did save
      episode 171
      I have been in contact with Jim Pearson who has worked on Dark
      Shadows for MPI Home Video as to seeing if they were interested in
      putting the show out
      This morning i got a responce back from him
      Hi Mark,

      Good to hear from you.

      I convinced MPI to give "Strange Paradise" a shot on DVD as follow-up
      to "Dark Shadows," with the intent of
      releasing all 195 episodes of SP in 5 DVD sets. Unfortunately, the
      owner of the show did not want to do the deal,
      which is ashame. They were offered a very fair deal considering the
      show is virtually unknown except to an extremely
      small group of die-hards and it would have been the one and only
      logical way to ever market the shows on DVD.

      I do deal with vintage 2-inch video transfers regularly, from all the
      DS tapes to many music projects and other programs.
      I have an expert who handles the format and can easily transfer
      the "lost episode" tape if you need it done.

      If you need any help please let me know. I'm sorry not to have better
      news. I did my best and it is just so stupid that
      the program owner wouldn't cooperate. Either greed or indifference or
      both, I guess.

      Best regards,
      Jim

      As you can see it seems that the owner of the series does not want to
      put the show out on dvd
      This does not Meen it will never come but it dosent look good at
      this time
      Lets ll hope they change there minds and soon
      Mark
    • kathryn de roet
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
        Stick with Skaryguy--he's all we've got.  And don't tell this 'uncooperative owner' about him.

        Here:

        http://www.skaryguyvideo.com/strangeparadise.htm

        I just received the 2nd volume last week.  That's 2 volumes down, 5 more to go.

        Anyway...

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
          Thanks, Mark, for letting us know. It is sad news. If anyone could have pulled it off it would probably have been Pierson and MPI because really the only precedent that exists for a successful DVD release of a series like SP is the DS release.

          I would really be interested to know the actual terms of the proposed deal, although I guess we never will. I cannot help but wonder if MPI was asking for some sort of up-front investment on the part of the owner in order to help fund the remastering/authoring.

          If MPI were not requiring an investment of the owner, but instead giving him a reduced percentage with MPI covering up front costs, I REALLY don't understand him not having a go at this. He would be absolutely crazy not to. (Which is why I suspect that MPI wanted him to *partner* in the deal with an investment. As we know, this owner has already shown himself unwilling to invest $$$ in SP).

          What a shame it is when a rightsholder isn't even willing to exploit what he owns!

          However, I have seen it happen before. In most cases it is either that the rightsholder is waiting/hoping for a better deal to "get rich quick" off of what he owns (which clearly isn't going to happen with SP), --or-- he is asked to partner (read: invest) in the deal and he does not want to part with any real up-front cash.

          It is maddening indeed.

          Best wishes,
          John
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
            I can't figure the owners out! They have a chance to do something with
            Strange Paradise and they don't!! What good is it doing sitting on a
            shelf? It seems like they would be thrilled at any interest in it.
          • Jonathan
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
              Me, either... I guess they don't know what they've got, or just don't care. In either case, that makes them total dumbbells.... And not the kind found in the hands of the athletic types that make use of them...
              Jonathan Michael Reiter
              jmr
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                Hi, folks. I'm just as disappointed as anyone at the current bleak
                prospects of STRANGE PARADISE ever being released on DVD, but let me
                play devil's advocate. Let me start by saying that I have NO
                knowledge whatsoever of what goes on with SP's rightsholder. My
                webpage is strictly a fan site, and I have no contact at all with the
                people who own the series. So any comment I make here is sheer
                speculation. And anyone on this list is entitled to his opinion
                regarding the state of the shows general availability (or lack of).
                I'm not trying to stifle anyone's freedom of expression.

                With that said, I would be cautious of making too many speculations
                without knowing the facts of the matter. And to be honest, none of us
                knows what is going on with show. I can think of at least a couple of
                reasons why the owner may be hesitant to ink a deal for a DVD release.

                First of all, he may be more interested in promoting the series as a
                television property. With the recent emergence of broadcasters like
                Chiller and (hopefully) The Horror Channel, he might think that series
                may be more attractive to a potential broadcaster if is not readily
                available in another medium. Wouldn't a channel seem more likely to
                purchase a syndication package if the series was relatively exclusive
                to them (rather than just re-runs of something their audience could
                pick up in a video store)?

                Second, perhaps he's less interested in promoting the series as a
                broadcast property or a potential DVD release. Perhaps he's interested
                in turning a profit by selling the series outright to someone else who
                would then be free to syndicate it or profit by releasing it to the
                home video market. (I know back when Dom was posting here regularly,
                he made mention of the owner making an overture during their
                correspondence about selling the series.) If this is the case, it
                seems to me he would be much more likely to find a buyer for the
                series if the it weren't already available on DVD. Who would want to
                buy the rights to the show if was already available in the home
                market. They wouldn't have much chance to market it themselves and
                turn any new profit.

                Those are just a couple of ideas as to why the situation may stand the
                way it does. And I'm the first to admit that I may be way off the
                mark. I don't know the first thing about the rightsholder or his
                plans. I do fervently hope that the series see a legitimate release
                to DVD, and not too far in the future. However, only time will tell.
                Given the way entire studio's libraries change hands every year in
                the entertainment industry, you never can tell what will happen next.
                It seems like practically every tv show known to man is coming out on
                disk these days, and I wouldn't be surprised if STRANGE PARADISE joins
                those ranks someday. I just hope I'll be around to enjoy it. -Curt
                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Oldtime Radio <otrl2@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Mark, for letting us know. It is sad news. If anyone could
                have pulled it off it would probably have been Pierson and MPI because
                really the only precedent that exists for a successful DVD release of
                a series like SP is the DS release.

                > I would really be interested to know the actual terms of the
                proposed deal, although I guess we never will. I cannot help but
                wonder if MPI was asking for some sort of up-front investment on the
                part of the owner in order to help fund the remastering/authoring.

                > If MPI were not requiring an investment of the owner, but instead
                giving him a reduced percentage with MPI covering up front costs, I
                REALLY don't understand him not having a go at this. He would be
                absolutely crazy not to. (Which is why I suspect that MPI wanted him
                to *partner* in the deal with an investment. As we know, this owner
                has already shown himself unwilling to invest $$$ in SP).

                > What a shame it is when a rightsholder isn't even willing to exploit
                what he owns!

                > However, I have seen it happen before. In most cases it is either
                that the rightsholder is waiting/hoping for a better deal to "get rich
                quick" off of what he owns (which clearly isn't going to happen with
                SP), --or-- he is asked to partner (read: invest) in the deal and he
                does not want to part with any real up-front cash.

                > It is maddening indeed.
                >

                > Best wishes,
                > John

              • Oldtime Radio
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 10, 2008
                  Yes, Curt, you're absolutely right there are some other possibilities.

                  He might be holding out for a big sale for broadcast or an outright sale of the property.

                  The sad thing is that I've seen (and more than once) some broadcast rightsholders who hold out for decades always with their eye on the "big sale" --which never comes. Then they pass away, and their heirs REALLY don't know what to do with it (and often don't care), so it sits there, sometimes entangled in an estate dispute if the heirs think it's of any value ... while the fans wait and wait.

                  But, yeah, you're right. In fact, a broadcast sale to one of the new horror channels might actually serve to lend impetus and support to a DVD release (new fans, plus a place to air commercials for the DVD sets) ... so there is ~some~ room for hope. :-)

                  Perhaps the best strategy from the fans at this point would be to request SP from the channels you mention, in hopes that they would contact the owner and air the series.

                  Are the channels you mentioned actually up and running? I know that one of them had had a lot of trouble with financing and had announced start dates which had fallen through several times, but I haven't kept up with recent news of them. I hope they are making a go of it in spite of the current economic downturn.

                  John
                  "OTRL2"
                  -
                  -
                  -
                • Curt Ladnier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 10, 2008
                    Thanks for elaborating on my comments, John!  I totally agree with what you said about some shows getting stuck in limbo because their rightsholders wait too long for a "big sale". Let's just hope that doesn't happen with STRANGE PARADISE.  At least the show has aired within the last several years in Canada, so we know it's still being treated as a viable broadcast property.

                    I really like your idea about contacting existing broadcasters to request the series.  It couldn't hurt to let the people who actually do the programming know what you would like to see.  Chiller is, indeed, already on the air and broadcasting (has been for over a year, in fact).  It is Channel 257 on DirecTV, and it's also carried by Dish Network and some cable systems.  You can find them online at www.chillertv.com.  They have a lot of forums in which fans can leave feedback, and I've even found a thread or two mentioning SP occasionally.  The programming for the channel is a bit mainstream, but it does dig up some gems on occasion.  They aired the full-length prints of THE SIXTH SENSE, a series which hadn't been seen without savage editing since about 1974.  They may be worth a try.

                    The Horror Channel keeps announcing that they will be on the air, but the last I heard they still hadn't managed to go live.  Still, now may be the time to really influence them, BEFORE they get up and running.  I don't know their web address off the top of my head, but I know they have an online presence that's easily accessed by a Google search.  I think there's already a "Horror Channel" airing in Great Britain, but getting them to air SP wouldn't do the average American viewer any good.  Same goes for Canada's veteran horror outlet, Scream, but if we could get any broadcaster interested in the property anywhere in the world, it would be a step in the right direction.

                    Oh well, that's just my two cents worth on the subject.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
                    -Curt

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
                      Curt
                       I have found my tape of SP in spanish