Cort & Holly

  • jh11786
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30 1:21 PM
      I think that Cort was Holly's male counterpart. Actually, I think
      that Holly may have originally been 17. Tim said that Holly was under
      age to drink at the French-Leave Cafe. Correct me if I am wrong, but
      wouldn't the drinking age in 1969 have been 18 not 21, even on Port
      French-Leave?

      I always heard Raxl call Cort, Master Desmond. Was Cort's What Happen
      to My Daddy? story ever resolved? I remember him bringing the skull
      and all, but not much else involving the story. I thought it was too
      bad that it was dropped because it seemed interesting as well as the
      caves that seemed to house the serpent, possibly Phillip Desmond, and
      the thing that scared Ada as a child.
    • joannadesmond
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31 10:08 AM

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          OOps, I don't know what happened. My response must have been
          intercepted by cybergremlins!!!

          Anyway, I believe that in 1969 the drinking age was 21 as well as the
          voting age. I believe they were both changed in 1973. There were
          several episodes where it was stated or implied that Holly was months
          short of turning 21. However, you are right in saying that both Holly
          and Cort were immature and belonged together. I don't remember anyone
          calling Cort "Master Desmond" but I may have not been paying
          attention. I am in the process of watching the series again and will
          pay attention when I get to Desmond Hall. I thought it was Cort
          Thaxton but again Laslo and Ada weren't married long enough for Laslo
          to have adopted him. No one ever mentioned his father's real name.
          Apparently the dad ran off when Cort was little and Ada may have
          reverted to her maiden name. Speaking of Ada, the poor thing was
          really kept in the dark on a lot of things!!

          Joanna

          P.S. Any word on the SP convention???

          --- In strangeparadise2@y..., "joannadesmond" <supremeplanner@h...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking that
            her age may have been rewritten for some reason.

            I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that her
            dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the dinner
            party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later Jan
            Campbell was playing Ada.
          • joannadesmond
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              I get confused about the drinking age too as many states have gone
              back to 21 as the age limit for drinking.

              I don't know which actress I like better playing Ada. I felt that
              they kept her in the dark - especially after everyone knew about the
              Desmond curse but her!! I still don't understand Raxl's connection
              with it either. I am looking at the Maljardin episodes right now and
              it seems completely different then when the series ended.

              Joanna

              --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking
              that
              > her age may have been rewritten for some reason.
              >
              > I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that
              her
              > dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the
              dinner
              > party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later
              Jan
              > Campbell was playing Ada.
            • joannadesmond
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                I thought it was Thaxton, although it doesn't make any sense. I
                suppose it was one of those occassions where the writers didn't think
                things through.

                What about the diffence between the beginning of the series where
                Raxl is working against Jacques and at the end where it was revealed
                that she was responsible for the Denver curse???

                Joanna

                --- In strangeparadise2@y..., quitoraxl <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Jan Campbell took over the role of Ada in episode 96 which was the
                > second episode of Helena Raleigh. It is this same episode where
                Raxl

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2002
                  I just finished watching episode 110 - Holly actually states that she
                  and Cort are the same age. That would make them both 20 or 21. In
                  the first episodes, Holly is established as 20, getting ready to come
                  into her father's inheritance.
                • joannadesmond
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
                    I just watched episode 20 or 21 and she tells Allison that she is
                    almost 21. So that verifies her age. A few episodes later Holly
                    comments to Jean Paul that he is over 30. Actually, he is 31, so
                    technically she is right!!