Re: Cort ?

  • joannadesmond
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30 12:59 PM
      Yes, I always thought it was Thaxton but I agree with you that Laslo
      and Ada weren't married long enough for him to have adopted him. I
      think he was twenty something. Remember Holly was 20 and her mother
      had put her in some sort of boarding school. Shouldn't she have been
      out of high school? I am not sure how old Jean Paul is supposed to be
      either. There are several times when he tells Holly that he is so
      much older than she is. Colin Fox at the time was about 30. I always
      thought that Jean Paul was some where between 35-40. Of course, Colin
      has always looked older than he is.

      Joanna

      --- In strangeparadise2@y..., sprules_1999 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Was Cort's last name ever established? In early Desmond Hall
      > episodes, Raxl referred to him once as "Young Mr. Desmond" and
      > another time as "Young Mr. Thaxton". Neither would be correct.
      > Shoudn't he have had his father's name? Was it ever mentioned.
      > Lazlo and Ada are said to be "newlyweds" when Jean Paul arrives at
      > Desmond Hall, I hardly think Lazlo would have "adopted" Cort.
      >
      > Also, what's up with Cort?? How old is this kook supposed to be.
      He
      > looks about 20-something, but he is treated (and acts) like an
      > adloescent.
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30 1:21 PM
        I think that Cort was Holly's male counterpart. Actually, I think
        that Holly may have originally been 17. Tim said that Holly was under
        age to drink at the French-Leave Cafe. Correct me if I am wrong, but
        wouldn't the drinking age in 1969 have been 18 not 21, even on Port
        French-Leave?

        I always heard Raxl call Cort, Master Desmond. Was Cort's What Happen
        to My Daddy? story ever resolved? I remember him bringing the skull
        and all, but not much else involving the story. I thought it was too
        bad that it was dropped because it seemed interesting as well as the
        caves that seemed to house the serpent, possibly Phillip Desmond, and
        the thing that scared Ada as a child.
      • joannadesmond
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31 10:08 AM

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            OOps, I don't know what happened. My response must have been
            intercepted by cybergremlins!!!

            Anyway, I believe that in 1969 the drinking age was 21 as well as the
            voting age. I believe they were both changed in 1973. There were
            several episodes where it was stated or implied that Holly was months
            short of turning 21. However, you are right in saying that both Holly
            and Cort were immature and belonged together. I don't remember anyone
            calling Cort "Master Desmond" but I may have not been paying
            attention. I am in the process of watching the series again and will
            pay attention when I get to Desmond Hall. I thought it was Cort
            Thaxton but again Laslo and Ada weren't married long enough for Laslo
            to have adopted him. No one ever mentioned his father's real name.
            Apparently the dad ran off when Cort was little and Ada may have
            reverted to her maiden name. Speaking of Ada, the poor thing was
            really kept in the dark on a lot of things!!

            Joanna

            P.S. Any word on the SP convention???

            --- In strangeparadise2@y..., "joannadesmond" <supremeplanner@h...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking that
              her age may have been rewritten for some reason.

              I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that her
              dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the dinner
              party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later Jan
              Campbell was playing Ada.
            • joannadesmond
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                I get confused about the drinking age too as many states have gone
                back to 21 as the age limit for drinking.

                I don't know which actress I like better playing Ada. I felt that
                they kept her in the dark - especially after everyone knew about the
                Desmond curse but her!! I still don't understand Raxl's connection
                with it either. I am looking at the Maljardin episodes right now and
                it seems completely different then when the series ended.

                Joanna

                --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking
                that
                > her age may have been rewritten for some reason.
                >
                > I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that
                her
                > dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the
                dinner
                > party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later
                Jan
                > Campbell was playing Ada.
              • joannadesmond
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                  I thought it was Thaxton, although it doesn't make any sense. I
                  suppose it was one of those occassions where the writers didn't think
                  things through.

                  What about the diffence between the beginning of the series where
                  Raxl is working against Jacques and at the end where it was revealed
                  that she was responsible for the Denver curse???

                  Joanna

                  --- In strangeparadise2@y..., quitoraxl <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Jan Campbell took over the role of Ada in episode 96 which was the
                  > second episode of Helena Raleigh. It is this same episode where
                  Raxl

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2002
                    I just finished watching episode 110 - Holly actually states that she
                    and Cort are the same age. That would make them both 20 or 21. In
                    the first episodes, Holly is established as 20, getting ready to come
                    into her father's inheritance.
                  • joannadesmond
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
                      I just watched episode 20 or 21 and she tells Allison that she is
                      almost 21. So that verifies her age. A few episodes later Holly
                      comments to Jean Paul that he is over 30. Actually, he is 31, so
                      technically she is right!!