Cort ?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2002
      Was Cort's last name ever established? In early Desmond Hall
      episodes, Raxl referred to him once as "Young Mr. Desmond" and
      another time as "Young Mr. Thaxton". Neither would be correct.
      Shoudn't he have had his father's name? Was it ever mentioned.
      Lazlo and Ada are said to be "newlyweds" when Jean Paul arrives at
      Desmond Hall, I hardly think Lazlo would have "adopted" Cort.

      Also, what's up with Cort?? How old is this kook supposed to be. He
      looks about 20-something, but he is treated (and acts) like an
      adloescent.
    • joannadesmond
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2002
        Yes, I always thought it was Thaxton but I agree with you that Laslo
        and Ada weren't married long enough for him to have adopted him. I
        think he was twenty something. Remember Holly was 20 and her mother
        had put her in some sort of boarding school. Shouldn't she have been
        out of high school? I am not sure how old Jean Paul is supposed to be
        either. There are several times when he tells Holly that he is so
        much older than she is. Colin Fox at the time was about 30. I always
        thought that Jean Paul was some where between 35-40. Of course, Colin
        has always looked older than he is.

        Joanna

        --- In strangeparadise2@y..., sprules_1999 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Was Cort's last name ever established? In early Desmond Hall
        > episodes, Raxl referred to him once as "Young Mr. Desmond" and
        > another time as "Young Mr. Thaxton". Neither would be correct.
        > Shoudn't he have had his father's name? Was it ever mentioned.
        > Lazlo and Ada are said to be "newlyweds" when Jean Paul arrives at
        > Desmond Hall, I hardly think Lazlo would have "adopted" Cort.
        >
        > Also, what's up with Cort?? How old is this kook supposed to be.
        He
        > looks about 20-something, but he is treated (and acts) like an
        > adloescent.
      • jh11786
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2002
          I think that Cort was Holly's male counterpart. Actually, I think
          that Holly may have originally been 17. Tim said that Holly was under
          age to drink at the French-Leave Cafe. Correct me if I am wrong, but
          wouldn't the drinking age in 1969 have been 18 not 21, even on Port
          French-Leave?

          I always heard Raxl call Cort, Master Desmond. Was Cort's What Happen
          to My Daddy? story ever resolved? I remember him bringing the skull
          and all, but not much else involving the story. I thought it was too
          bad that it was dropped because it seemed interesting as well as the
          caves that seemed to house the serpent, possibly Phillip Desmond, and
          the thing that scared Ada as a child.
        • joannadesmond
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              OOps, I don't know what happened. My response must have been
              intercepted by cybergremlins!!!

              Anyway, I believe that in 1969 the drinking age was 21 as well as the
              voting age. I believe they were both changed in 1973. There were
              several episodes where it was stated or implied that Holly was months
              short of turning 21. However, you are right in saying that both Holly
              and Cort were immature and belonged together. I don't remember anyone
              calling Cort "Master Desmond" but I may have not been paying
              attention. I am in the process of watching the series again and will
              pay attention when I get to Desmond Hall. I thought it was Cort
              Thaxton but again Laslo and Ada weren't married long enough for Laslo
              to have adopted him. No one ever mentioned his father's real name.
              Apparently the dad ran off when Cort was little and Ada may have
              reverted to her maiden name. Speaking of Ada, the poor thing was
              really kept in the dark on a lot of things!!

              Joanna

              P.S. Any word on the SP convention???

              --- In strangeparadise2@y..., "joannadesmond" <supremeplanner@h...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking that
                her age may have been rewritten for some reason.

                I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that her
                dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the dinner
                party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later Jan
                Campbell was playing Ada.
              • joannadesmond
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                  I get confused about the drinking age too as many states have gone
                  back to 21 as the age limit for drinking.

                  I don't know which actress I like better playing Ada. I felt that
                  they kept her in the dark - especially after everyone knew about the
                  Desmond curse but her!! I still don't understand Raxl's connection
                  with it either. I am looking at the Maljardin episodes right now and
                  it seems completely different then when the series ended.

                  Joanna

                  --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info on the voting & drinking age. I was thinking
                  that
                  > her age may have been rewritten for some reason.
                  >
                  > I felt bad for Ada. Laslo was abusive and it was depressing that
                  her
                  > dinner party flopped. I'll have to check, but I think that the
                  dinner
                  > party may have been one of Peg Dixon's last scenes. A week later
                  Jan
                  > Campbell was playing Ada.
                • joannadesmond
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2002
                    I thought it was Thaxton, although it doesn't make any sense. I
                    suppose it was one of those occassions where the writers didn't think
                    things through.

                    What about the diffence between the beginning of the series where
                    Raxl is working against Jacques and at the end where it was revealed
                    that she was responsible for the Denver curse???

                    Joanna

                    --- In strangeparadise2@y..., quitoraxl <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Jan Campbell took over the role of Ada in episode 96 which was the
                    > second episode of Helena Raleigh. It is this same episode where
                    Raxl

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2002
                      I just finished watching episode 110 - Holly actually states that she
                      and Cort are the same age. That would make them both 20 or 21. In
                      the first episodes, Holly is established as 20, getting ready to come
                      into her father's inheritance.
                    • joannadesmond
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 30, 2002
                        I just watched episode 20 or 21 and she tells Allison that she is
                        almost 21. So that verifies her age. A few episodes later Holly
                        comments to Jean Paul that he is over 30. Actually, he is 31, so
                        technically she is right!!