Raxl

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
      I sort of assumed that when Agatha introduced the "evil" serpent God
      to Desmond Hall (which later interacted with Cort, Emily, etc.) that
      it marked some change in Raxl. When she went head to head with it on
      one or two occasions as I recall, I think it must have gained some
      influence over her (probably subconsiously, as I hate to think that
      our beloved Raxl from Maljardin would have purposefully been so
      malicious).

      Of course, I also think the last writers of the series paid no
      attention to previous history of characters.
    • jh11786
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
        Or maybe it was when she had those two curls on either side of her
        head. Those were a riot!
      • joannadesmond
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
          Yes, I am blaming it on the writers myself. When Jacques possesses
          Jean Paul it seemed like he was a victim of the curse (in fact, the
          first victim)and that Raxl was responsible and had control.

          I am watching the first episodes again and I get a whole different
          impression of Raxl and her role in the curse.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
            Only her hairdresser knows for sure!!

            I am wondering if she ever changed her clothes in 300 years!!!

            --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Or maybe it was when she had those two curls on either side of her
            > head. Those were a riot!
          • jeffcan36
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
              Those curls came after they left Mal Jardin correct? Maybe she got
              her hair wet from those whirlpools of doom and had to wash it.

              --- In strangeparadise2@y..., "joannadesmond" <supremeplanner@h...>
              wrote:
              > Only her hairdresser knows for sure!!
              >
              > I am wondering if she ever changed her clothes in 300 years!!!
              >
              > --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > Or maybe it was when she had those two curls on either side of
              her
              > > head. Those were a riot!
            • joannadesmond
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
                Humidity can really ruin a girl's do!!!

                --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jeffcan36 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Those curls came after they left Mal Jardin correct? Maybe she got
                > her hair wet from those whirlpools of doom and had to wash it.
                >
                > --- In strangeparadise2@y..., "joannadesmond" <supremeplanner@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > Only her hairdresser knows for sure!!
                > >
                > > I am wondering if she ever changed her clothes in 300 years!!!
                > >
                > > --- In strangeparadise2@y..., jh11786 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > > Or maybe it was when she had those two curls on either side of
                > her
                > > > head. Those were a riot!
              • jh11786
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 26, 2002
                  Raxl's hair was from Desmond Hall.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8 11:19 AM
                    Good to see some activity on this board ... I was just up on a visit
                    in Canada and was telling people my age about Strange Paradise. Only
                    one or two remembered it.

                    I'm quite sure that Cort's last name was Desmond. The use of Thaxton
                    in a script was obviously a writer's glitch. I don't think there was
                    a head writer, or a script bible, for the series.

                    As for the series' final plotline and Raxl's shift to the role of
                    villain, it's hard to know how to comment. Practically every
                    established fact of the Desmond family's backstory is contradicted
                    during the last 11 weeks of the series, although maddeningly,
                    specific events such as the deaths of Tim Stanton and Agatha Pruitt
                    are discussed at length from time to time.

                    It was established in the original scripts written by Ian Martin that
                    Quito was a zombie and he and Raxl had been on Maljardin since the
                    mid 17th century. All of a sudden, in week 28 or 29, we get
                    the "revelation" that Raxl was the housekeeper for Benjamin Desmond
                    up at Desmond Hall. This flatly contradicts the history of the
                    character as established.

                    There seems to have been confusion at the very beginning as to the
                    dates of Jacques' life, since in the pilot, I believe his dates are
                    shown on his tomb as 1760-1789, while in subsequent episodes this was
                    corrected to 1660-1689 (which is somewhat closer to the clothing
                    chosen for the flashbacks to Jacques' life). It's unfortunate that
                    Skip Lemay did not bother to check through the scripts a bit more
                    thoroughly before setting Jacques in the French Revolution but since
                    he was writing these shows down in New York City, he may simply have
                    lacked access to any scripts other than those sent him by TPTB--who
                    clearly did not care much at this point.

                    My very mundane "explanation" for what happens with Raxl is that
                    whoever called the shots for the basic plot (I'm wondering whether
                    this might have been one of the producers, as was the case on Dark
                    Shadows?) had basically run out of every possible remaining option in
                    his own mind and fell back on this. Since Cosette Lee was such a
                    superb actress, she did make it work, though as we get more deeply
                    into the Skip Lemay period of the series (the final 10 weeks, in
                    particular) the scripts degenerate into almost a parody of the
                    original concept.

                    One gentleman who worked on Strange Paradise recalled that Colin Fox
                    cared more about the continuity of the series than anyone else in the
                    production unit. He kept scrupulous notes about his costumes and
                    what was worn or shown from day to day and sometimes had to correct
                    the provisions for Jean Paul's wardrobe and appearance so that
                    different days' episodes would match.

                    Just some thoughts from a fan,

                    Steve
                  • joannadesmond
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12 2:51 PM
                      Steve,

                      Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that most of the discrepancies
                      were due to writers. You are right about Cosette doing a good job!

                      I was glad to see that Colin Fox was such a professional! I knew he
                      was my favorite for a reason.

                      Joanna