re: Straight to DVD + An Alternative

  • Oldtime Radio
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
      >>I spoke to Jack yesterday about DVDs. He feels that
      >only Canadians
      >will remember and buy the series, and that if there
      is a >DVD issue, it would be released to the Canadian
      market >only.

      Well, I do believe that this ("only Canadians") would
      be the wrong way to look at it. Since Canada is also
      region 1 for DVD, why not market to the USA also once
      they do a manufacturing run? That only makes sense if
      you have an inventory of 8,000.

      I grew up in Tennessee, and in my local market, as
      another poster mentioned, SP aired right after DS (on
      a competitor channel). Clearly, they wanted to snag
      the young DS viewership. Almost all of the friends I
      had as a youngster who watched DS also watched SP.

      The point is that I believe that SP *WOULD be* well
      remembered in the USA by DS fans (NOT just Canada),
      and I agree with sprules that the key to marketing SP
      is to tap in to the DS fandom.

      Personally, I tend to think there's a big enough
      market in Canada+USA to successfully sell the series,
      provided that the ***DS fandom*** can be tapped.

      Therefore, I would be persuing the Jim Pierson angle,
      if I were the owner or promoter involved in this.

      Internet download at .99cents per ep may be a good
      idea (provided that it is DVD quality -- mpeg 2), but
      there are still many who are on dialup and would not
      be able to access this. Broadband certainly
      predominates, but I'm told there are still something
      like 20-25% of people still on dialup, so that is a
      significant limiting factor.

      Also, downloads do not have the "cool" factor of DVDs
      with packaging, extras, etc. Another factor is, if
      you offer downloads first, and then later want to
      offer DVD, will your core constituency buy AGAIN on
      DVD? Some would, but many, having downloaded and
      burned for themselves, likely wouldn't.

      An ALTERNATIVE: There IS one other alternative which
      I have not mentioned in all of this, which might be
      worth considering if the owner/promoter is truly
      fearful that 8,000 units will be difficult to sell.

      That is: strike a deal with a small video production
      company who can professionally author discs and
      professionally design packaging and release the series
      on small run DVD-R. (I happen to run such a studio,
      although I'm NOT making a sales pitch here. There are
      many such studios.) This gives the advantage of
      professional package design and authoring of discs,
      with the advantage of not having to invest huge money
      to glass-master and replicate 8,000 at a time.

      (And the packaging design can always be done by the
      promoter himself, if he wishes, and provided to the
      studio).

      The key in making this approach work is to choose the
      RIGHT small studio where the people CARE about what
      they are doing, where they can turn out packaging and
      menu design that is truly professional in look and
      functionality (not a "homemade" job), and where they
      take a professional approach to their work and meet
      their deadlines, etc. It would be an ongoing
      relationship, where the small studio would manufacture
      small runs of the series to order, as the need arises.

      By using this "boutique studio" approach, the DVD-Rs
      can be made to order in smaller quantities of, say,
      100, once a set of masters is created. Whomever is
      selling them (like the promoter's website or other
      websites) merely orders a shipment of, say, 50, 100 or
      200 as they need them for their inventory, allowing
      the studio two or three weeks lead time for the studio
      to make them up and ship them out.

      So in this way, you don't have the huge
      investment/gamble in pre-replicating 8,000 units, yet
      you still have the advantages of professional on-face
      DVD disc printing for the DVDs, and nice looking
      packaging/artwork for the cases.

      There are still a very small number of home players
      "out there" which may not be compatible with DVD-R
      (the experts estimate 3 to 5%), so that must be taken
      into account, but it's very small, and usually older
      players. If you're willing to deal with a small
      number of returns for that reason, and IF you're
      dealing with a professional studio who can create a
      professional looking product, small run DVD-R can be a
      viable alternative. We have two documentary series
      which we provide in this way and which continue to
      sell on an ongoing basis, bringing their owners
      continuing returns with minimal investment.

      Again, please know that I'm NOT hawking for business
      here (we're busy already!), but just saying that *IF*
      done properly and professionally, and not on a
      "homemade" or "hobbyist" basis, DVD-R can be a very
      profitable alternative for a producer who is reluctant
      to invest in large replication runs.

      Just some additional thoughts.

      John
      "OTRL2"
      -
      -
      -
      -

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Robin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
        I don't care if they market to Canada only. If they are Region 1
        DVDs, they will work "south of the border" anyway. Today's world you
        can buy anything from anyway on the face of this planet. The DVDs
        might arrive a couple of days later here in the U.S.- but they will
        arrive!
        Here's my New Years wish - Strange Paradise to DVD! If Green Acres
        could get on DVD, why not SP?
      • mimmo.briganti
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
          Green Acres is a much more popular series than SP, but you're right,
          you'd still be able to buy them -- maybe from Amazon.ca or Canadian
          outlets.

          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "Robin" <mastomy@...> wrote:

          > I don't care if they market to Canada only. If they are Region 1
          > DVDs, they will work "south of the border" anyway. Today's world
          you
          > can buy anything from anyway on the face of this planet. The DVDs
          > might arrive a couple of days later here in the U.S.- but they will
          > arrive!
          > Here's my New Years wish - Strange Paradise to DVD! If Green
          Acres
          > could get on DVD, why not SP?

        • mimmo.briganti
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2007
            Hi John,

            Thanks for your comments. I'm trying various ideas to get the show
            out. Perhaps your company can approach them? Give Jack a call at
            917-592-6227. Also, try their Canadian distributor, Bruce Raymond,
            at raymond dot international at rogers dot com.

            If we all work together and get organized like the DS crowd did, I'm
            sure we can get the series out.

            Dominic

            --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Oldtime Radio <otrl2@...>