Residuals and Legalities ...

  • everymothersson67
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
      No daytime or primetime actor in the history of this planet has ever
      received residuals for a show after 40 years. It just does not work
      that way!

      We only get together to poke fun at show and get creeped out by it at
      the same time. I'm certainly not making any money off it. In fact,
      the video service costs me $50 a month, so I'm $50 in the hole every
      single month just for the fun of insulting David Wells' acting and
      watching everyone mispronounce "Maljardin" and "Des Monde". All in
      all, not a bad investment.
    • comments@strangeparadise.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
        No point in arguing here - please think what you'd like.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
          That's just the way the business works with residuals. My take on
          this whole situation is that you, at best, have a very informal
          relationship with these "owners", and that you just don't want to
          share anything with any of us. We mean no harm -- we're not
          stalkers and we could have set up anonymous redirect and forward e-
          mail addresses so that their true addresses would not be revealed to
          anyone. We're not going to take any information you give us and
          write a book to compete with yours.

          Sadly, we're the only ones that still care about SP. DIC only aired
          the series to fulfill CRTC Canadian-content rules and I sincerely
          doubt another station in the US or Canada will ever pick up the show
          again. It might happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

          So keep everything to yourself and enjoy your book -- you may be the
          only one reading it.

          Dominic

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
            From your repsonses it's clear you have difficulty with the concept of being courteous. It's amazing that you can't seem to grasp the notion that it's rude to take peoples' contact information and just give it out without permission. You know absolutely nothing about what we might be planning to do, yet you have your mind made up that we are witholding information from you. Forget about Strange Paradise and apply your logic to anything else in the world of entertainment - it would be nice from your point of view if everyone who wanted to communicate with someone associated with a program they liked would just be able to, but as you know it doesn't work that way. People keep their information private - to quote you "that's just the way the business works" - it has nothing to do with me or anyone else hoarding information.

            What would you like us to share with you? The owner's email and phone? What good would that do? As Emily said, we hold no monopoly on that information, or any information - you're free to find it out yourself. Perhaps you'd like directions to Colin Fox's house so you can visit...do you think that might be enough for you? Somehow I don't think it would be. Additionally, your attitude on this message board certainly does not motivate me to want to provide any of that type of information even if I was inclined to give it out. It's precisely because of people like you that "fans" get a bad reputation.

            It's a shame that what started out as a fun discussion area for Strange Paradise has now come down to this. I'm really not sure why you're so bitter, but there's really no need for you to be. I find it ironic that you make a point of saying only a few people care about SP yet you're upset by the lack of "action" on the DVD front. Surely you can see the contradiction there?

            Regardless, you're entitled to think what you'd like, and if you want to continue this discussion, feel free to email me off list about it. There's no need for everyone else on this board to watch us go back and forth, so I'll keep future postings to more relevant topics.

          • everymothersson67
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
              Let's just drop the subject. I was only trying to bring to Strange
              Paradise what I did for Disc-O-Teen and Every Mothers' Son. I had
              webcasts and chats where fans got to meet and talk with the band
              while everyone watched their old videos.

              I found other groups and fans from 60s dance shows in NJ that saw
              themselves on my site for the first time after 40 years. Some
              started crying. This led to a convention/reunion in Newark last
              month, and I assisted in the remastering of old quad tapes that
              nobody wanted anymore.

              I was just trying to connect the fans here with the surviving SP cast
              and get 171 at the same time, but obviously, you have your own
              agenda. I don't have the time to do all the research on my own, and
              obviously, you're not willing to help.

              So let's forget it ... OK? I'm not the villain you're making me out
              to be.

              Dominic

              --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, comments@... wrote:

              > From your repsonses it's clear you have difficulty with the concept
              of being courteous. It's amazing that you can't seem to grasp the
              notion that it's rude to take peoples' contact information and just
              give it out without permission. You know absolutely nothing about
              what we might be planning to do, yet you have your mind made up that
              we are witholding information from you. Forget about Strange Paradise
              and apply your logic to anything else in the world of entertainment -
              it would be nice from your point of view if everyone who wanted to
              communicate with someone associated with a program they liked would
              just be able to, but as you know it doesn't work that way. People
              keep their information private - to quote you "that's just the way
              the business works" - it has nothing to do with me or anyone else
              hoarding information.

              > What would you like us to share with you? The owner's email and
              phone? What good would that do? As Emily said, we hold no monopoly on
              that information, or any information - you're free to find it out
              yourself. Perhaps you'd like directions to Colin Fox's house so you
              can visit...do you think that might be enough for you? Somehow I
              don't think it would be. Additionally, your attitude on this message
              board certainly does not motivate me to want to provide any of that
              type of information even if I was inclined to give it out. It's
              precisely because of people like you that "fans" get a bad reputation.

              > It's a shame that what started out as a fun discussion area for
              Strange Paradise has now come down to this. I'm really not sure why
              you're so bitter, but there's really no need for you to be. I find it
              ironic that you make a point of saying only a few people care about
              SP yet you're upset by the lack of "action" on the DVD front. Surely
              you can see the contradiction there?

              > Regardless, you're entitled to think what you'd like, and if you
              want to continue this discussion, feel free to email me off list
              about it. There's no need for everyone else on this board to watch us
              topics.

            • JB
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
                I'm sorry you feel the way you do, I really am. I'm certainly not
                trying to make you out to be a villian at all. On the contrary, it
                was you who began casting aspersions about Emily and myself.
                Unfortunately, it seems to me that you want certain things (as I'm
                sure all fans of SP do), but when you don't get the answer you want
                then you accuse others of withholding or, as you just mentioned,
                having their own agenda. Just examine the tone of some of your posts
                for example.

                From my point of view, you've got your own agenda and when people
                don't conform to it then you choose to lash out. You admittedly
                haven't even seen the entire series yet here you are complaining
                about the lack of action on the DVD front, peoples' hidden agendas,
                the lack of cooperation, et cetera. How does that type of behavior
                make someone want to work with you? And besides, who's to say that
                chats with former cast and crew won't happen? It's your automatic
                assumption that you're somehow being prevented from having them that
                bothers me.

                I submit to you that no one is stopping you from doing whatever you
                want with Strange Paradise. You wanted to do webcasts and you're
                doing them but at the same time you're complaining that they aren't
                well attended and commenting on how you're essentially losing money
                by creating them in the first place. Frankly I don't see how that
                inspires any goodwill or sense of community.
              • everymothersson67
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
                  This is my last note on the subject.

                  You're obviously trying to protect the research you've done on the
                  false assumption that your secrecy on an obscure 40 year old failed
                  soap will lead to a #1 spot on the NY Times Best Seller's list.
                  Simply put, you're trying to write a book for profit. None of us
                  here are in this to make money, so that puts a slant on anything you
                  say.

                  If Mark came on here and said 171 was claimed, I would be very happy
                  to know that the tape was in good hands. Instead, months pass and
                  nothing happens. And now he says he won't be in a position to tell
                  us if the tapes are still there anymore.

                  Your whole story sounded fishy from Day 1. Then you come on here
                  pushing status quo and everybody jumps on me when I ask Mark to ASK,
                  not STEAL (re-read my post) 171. If that quad is processed properly,
                  it can be fully restored. I did two quads in NYC last year, and they
                  came out perfect.

                  So, all I can say is you must think we're all stupid. It doesn't
                  take months to claim those tapes. I think City-TV abandoned those
                  copies years ago, and I'm the only one here who can get that tape
                  transferred. I have a pal at WNJU-TV who would have done it for $125.

                  I will not comment on this further.

                  Dominic

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
                    Again, I am sorry for you. If I was writing a book for profit I
                    certainly wouldn't do it about Strange Paradise. I don't question
                    your motivation, despite the fact that the only one complaining about
                    money they are losing and time they are investing is YOU. Feel free
                    to exmaine any of my posts - I never mentioned money of any kind. And
                    if you think that keeping the personal contact details of actors and
                    other people connected with SP is somehow wrong, then so be it. I
                    doubt many people on here would agree with you.

                    I never ever suggested you said to steal 171. If you re-read your own
                    post you mention borrowing it, which is the word i used in my reply.
                    However, you have mentioned on more than one occasion that you're
                    certain the owners don't care about the episode and that Mark should
                    ask to obtain it, or take it and borrow it for copying, etc.
                    Obviously if Mark wanted to do that he could have a long time ago. He
                    chose to do it another way.

                    And what story precisely am I supposed to be selling? That I am in a
                    position to reclaim 171 and I'm keeping it from everyone else? What a
                    joke. I never claimed any such thing. And how much more info do you
                    want? Mark's been keeping everyone posted as to what's happening
                    anyway - maybe nothing's happening and maybe nothing will ever
                    happen. The bottom line is it's not in your control or in anyone's
                    other than the rights holders. Maybe they don't even care about their
                    property. Are you going to make them care?

                    I'll make this really short and simple for you - The owners are aware
                    of the missing episode. It's up to them as to what to do with it. you
                    don't own the property and neither do I. Frankly, if they want to
                    recover it and then burn it that's entirely up to them.

                    Again, though - don't take my word for it (not that you ever did) -
                    find the warehouse, make your phone calls, ask Mark about it, track
                    down the owners - do whatever you want. Learn the whole story and
                    post it for the world to see it. Go and rescue 171 and have it
                    transferred. Who is stopping you? If you want to make assumptions, at
                    least do it with some facts to back you up.
                  • everymothersson67
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 28, 2007
                      Knowing you, if I continued our webcasts you would probably urge
                      these "owners" to file a copyright infringement lawsuit against me,
                      and anyone supplying me with media files. I really don't need or
                      want that kind of trouble.

                      So I'll make you the villain now. Given all that's gone on here
                      today, I'm not even comfortable doing any more webcasting until I
                      hear from these owners, and since you won't provide any details, I
                      guess that will be the end of that.

                      When I did EMS and DOT, I had peace of mind because I actually
                      contacted everybody involved and asked if it would be OK to do a fan
                      site with some old copyrighted material. Even the owners of some
                      Johnny Carson footage told me off the record I was free to use it,
                      since they had no plans of ever selling it. They knew they had an
                      extinct property -- I told them what I was doing and they didn't
                      object.

                      Instead, thanks to you, I can't get that same peace of mind here
                      because of all this secrecy you're maintaining. I don't even know
                      who these owners are. At least with EMS/DOT, people would actually
                      reveal who the owner of a certain song or piece of footage was, and
                      one thing would lead to another.

                      So, I'll see you all later -- I'm going back to my old website. At
                      least there, I don't have to deal with any of this "unauthorized
                      webcast" and "illegal webcast" BS.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 29, 2007
                        Goodbye and good riddance, Dominic! Brian and Emily, keep up the good
                        work! I have been a fan of SP since its first run in 1969 and a member
                        of this group for at least 8 or 9 years! I am excited about the book
                        and potential DVD release! Please keep us informed! I've kept my
                        mouth shut for a while, but frankly I was concerned that the internet
                        airings could jeopardize the DVD release, from the standpoint of the
                        owners, with whom I truly believe you have been in contact!
                      • mark woda
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Since I am the one who seemed to start all of this
                          discussion i think it is about time that i say
                          somthing
                          everyone needs to calm down
                          people are going off about secret owners and
                          information that is being withheld from the public
                          it is worse than the current political campaign
                          i have in some small way been involved in the tv
                          buisness and i have a friend who produces music shows
                          and many things are kept secret since information
                          gets out and deals are ruined
                          or actors want this or that
                          just because we do not know who the owners of SP are
                          dosent meen it cant be found and isnt public knowledge
                          do some digging and look for the information you will
                          find it if you truly want it
                          and ask yourself one thing
                          once you have this information what are you going to
                          do with it anyway?
                          so my advise is to sit back shut up relax and let the
                          wheel turn however fast or slow it goes it still turns

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                        • rick tschantz
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 30, 2007
                            I agree with Mark-Everyone chill out! Things will work out! Rick

[...]

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-mkp{
                            #ygrp-mkp hr{
                            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}