New www.strangeparadise.ca

  • everymothersson67
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
      I'm in the planning stages of creating a new dedicated
      www.strangeparadise.ca video website that will feature a home page, a
      webcast room, a chat room, and a video library.

      Before I do that, I'd like to ask Bryan to contact the SP copyright
      owners and ask them for permission to webcast and place 1-2 episodes
      per week in the video on demand library for our small fan base here to
      enjoy whenever they want.

      The game plan is to webcast two shows back to back every week, and then
      place them in the video library for 6 days.

      Dominic
    • Bryan Gruszka

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
          Yeah, but it's just between us -- we're not webcasting it to the
          world -- just five people ... LOL

          Besides, those videos are out of place on my site -- we need to give
          them a proper home of their own. There's no way I can put all 195 of
          them online at the same time, as that would require too much disk
          space.

          Two at a time, and the technology used does not permit downloading or
          caching, so nobody can make a copy. Please have them send me an e-
          mail granting permission to webmaster@...

          Let me know soon as I need to get the strangeparadise.ca domain
          registered.

          Thanks,

          Dominic

          --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Gruszka <comments@...>
          wrote:

          > I've passed the message on to see if it is OK. Right now I'm not
          sure it will be, due to an exclusive rights deal that they just
          negotiated with a new distributor. I believe it precludes any sort of
          rebroadcasting, including the internet, but we shall see. Thanks!

          > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote: I'm in
          the planning stages of creating a new dedicated
          > www.strangeparadise.ca video website that will feature a home page,
          > webcast room, a chat room, and a video library.
          >
          > Before I do that, I'd like to ask Bryan to contact the SP copyright
          > owners and ask them for permission to webcast and place 1-2
          episodes
          > per week in the video on demand library for our small fan base here
          > enjoy whenever they want.
          >
          > The game plan is to webcast two shows back to back every week, and
          then
          > place them in the video library for 6 days.
          >
          > Dominic

        • Bryan Gruszka
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            If they indeed grant permission I will pass the information on to you. I don't have any control over whether or not they grant permission at all, or indeed how long it takes them to answer me.

            In my opinion it'd probably be better not to attract too much attention to what you want to do - SP is still a viable property, especially at the moment, so naturally keeping a low profile might be best.

            wrote:

            > I've passed the message on to see if it is OK. Right now I'm not
            sure it will be, due to an exclusive rights deal that they just
            negotiated with a new distributor. I believe it precludes any sort of
            rebroadcasting, including the internet, but we shall see. Thanks!

            > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote: I'm in
            the planning stages of creating a new dedicated
            > www.strangeparadise.ca video website that will feature a home page,
            > webcast room, a chat room, and a video library.
            >
            > Before I do that, I'd like to ask Bryan to contact the SP copyright
            > owners and ask them for permission to webcast and place 1-2
            episodes
            > per week in the video on demand library for our small fan base here
            > enjoy whenever they want.
            >
            > The game plan is to webcast two shows back to back every week, and
            then
            > place them in the video library for 6 days.
            >
            > Dominic

          • everymothersson67
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              I hope they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
              you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after 40
              years.

              In the meantime, we'll just continue to use my site and keep it low
              key.

              wrote:

              > If they indeed grant permission I will pass the information on to
              you. I don't have any control over whether or not they grant
              permission at all, or indeed how long it takes them to answer me.

              > In my opinion it'd probably be better not to attract too much
              attention to what you want to do - SP is still a viable property,
              especially at the moment, so naturally keeping a low profile might be
              best.

              > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote:
              > Yeah, but it's just between us -- we're not webcasting it
              to the
              > world -- just five people ... LOL
              >
              > Besides, those videos are out of place on my site -- we need to
              give
              > them a proper home of their own. There's no way I can put all 195
              of
              > them online at the same time, as that would require too much disk
              > space.
              >
              > Two at a time, and the technology used does not permit downloading
              or
              > caching, so nobody can make a copy. Please have them send me an e-
              > mail granting permission to webmaster@...
              >
              > Let me know soon as I need to get the strangeparadise.ca domain
              > registered.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Dominic
              >
              > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Gruszka <comments@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I've passed the message on to see if it is OK. Right now I'm not
              > sure it will be, due to an exclusive rights deal that they just
              > negotiated with a new distributor. I believe it precludes any sort
              of
              > rebroadcasting, including the internet, but we shall see. Thanks!
              > >
              > > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@> wrote: I'm in
              > the planning stages of creating a new dedicated
              > > www.strangeparadise.ca video website that will feature a home
              page,
              > > webcast room, a chat room, and a video library.
              > >
              > > Before I do that, I'd like to ask Bryan to contact the SP
              copyright
              > > owners and ask them for permission to webcast and place 1-2
              > episodes
              > > per week in the video on demand library for our small fan base
              here
              > > enjoy whenever they want.
              > >
              > > The game plan is to webcast two shows back to back every week,
              and
              > then
              > > place them in the video library for 6 days.
              > >
              > > Dominic

            • bifrosttraveler
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, "everymothersson67"
                <everymothersson67@...> wrote:

                > I hope they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
                > you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after
                40
                > years.

                You know, if the people who are considering putting SP on mass market
                DVD for retail sale are reading this site, what kind of messages are
                they getting?

                (Message 1) There aren't enough fans who remember SP to make it
                worthwhile to put it on the market.

                We should be telling our old school friends (or our current Science
                Fiction/Horror/Fantasy fan friends) about the possibility that the
                show may be released on DVD and asking if they would purchase such a
                product. This no-fans-left-who-remember-the-show talk will certainly
                scare away a company that might want to take the gamble of releasing
                it for retail sale!

                (Message 2) Go ahead and buy the recorded-from-TV (bootleg) copies
                that a stranger who advertises on the internet is selling.

                Why should a company go to the trouble and expense of transferring
                the episodes from outdated 2-inch masters (costing thousands of
                dollars) when they read here (and where else would they read what SP
                fans are saying?) that fans are already buying the episodes from fans
                who have recorded them from TV? This kind of thing went on prior to
                MPI's release of Dark Shadows and necessitated threats of litigation
                (from Dan Curtis' lawyers) to DS fans who sold the episodes that they
                had recorded from PBS.

                I'm sorry my first post to this group is somewhat negative but just
                when there's hope that SP might actually be released legitimately, we
                should be supporting it as positively as possible.

                Guy
              • Bryan Gruszka
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Guy,

                  Hey there! Some good thoughts in your post, and I have to agree with them. As I have mentioned before, the DVD release of SP is something that will happen (and again, I know this based on discussions I have had with the parties involved, so it's not just speculation on my part) so there are people out there who think the property is valuable enough to go through the time and effort to bring it to DVD.

                  I can also tell you that people involved in SP do actually read this message board (they have commented to me indicating this) so they certainly are aware of the discussions that go on on here. They are happy to note that people are still interested in the show, which is a good thing. As you say, keeping it positive is always important!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                    everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote: I hope they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
                    you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after 40
                    years.
                    I meant that the rights owners think it's a viable, exploitable property, which really is the key to getting it out on DVD. They believe it will sell, which is a good thing for all of us, as we don't have to convince them there is a market for it.

                    Visit Your Group
                    Yahoo! Search
                    Find it faster
                    with Yahoo!
                    shortcuts.

                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Moderator Central
                    Connecting a world
                    of moderators.

                    Real Food Group
                    Share recipes
                    and favorite meals
                    w/ Real Food lovers.

                    .

                  • everymothersson67
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                      I hope I'm wrong and that it gets released too.

                      If the SP owners are smart (and they're reading this), I would urge
                      them to put it out in Canada *NOW* and advertise the DVD box sets on
                      Drive-In Classics. The show just enjoyed a 3 year stay on DIC, and
                      its widest audience is probably there (and in Canada) -- although
                      sometimes I wonder if DIC just aired it to fulfill CRTC Canadian
                      Content rules. They should also notify tvshowsondvd.com of the
                      release.

                      Also, an official website will only help them, not hurt them.
                      People who see the videos online in a small flash frame will
                      purchase them on DVD -- it's been proven. Why don't the owners want
                      to be identified? We could all write to them if we knew *WHO* they
                      were!

                      Having worked on projects like this before, and knowing people in
                      the business, I can tell you it's very difficult to turn a profit
                      on series sets which contain a lot of episodes. You can't compare
                      SP to DS -- DS has a HUGE cult following that goes way back to the
                      60s. We're the mouse and they're the elephant, and to my knowledge,
                      DS is the ONLY daytime serial to ever make it to DVD.

                      Dom.

                      <comments@...> wrote:

                      > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote: I hope
                      they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
                      > you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after
                      40
                      > years.
                      > I meant that the rights owners think it's a viable, exploitable
                      property, which really is the key to getting it out on DVD. They
                      believe it will sell, which is a good thing for all of us, as we
                      don't have to convince them there is a market for it.

                      > Visit Your Group
                      > Yahoo! Search
                      > Find it faster
                      > with Yahoo!
                      > shortcuts.
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups
                      > Moderator Central
                      > Connecting a world
                      > of moderators.
                      >
                      > Real Food Group
                      > Share recipes
                      > and favorite meals
                      > w/ Real Food lovers.
                      >

                      > .

                    • Bryan Gruszka
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                        Not to belabor this point, but I just wanted to clarify that my wife and I have had several discussions with SP rights owners, their Canadian and US distribution reps and the parties that will be responsible for bringing SP to DVD, and all are in agreement that the series will come out at some point. The subject of SP on DVD was in fact brought up by one of the parties that will be involved in the process and not by my wife or myself. We were, in fact, surprised to hear the news.

                        Again, I can't be specific, but I can tell you that a release schedule was discussed, as well as potential extra content on the DVDs. In fact, my wife and I have a series of meetings in November to discuss this matter further, as we have been asked to work on some of the DVD content. Thus, I can assure you that there is a serious interest in getting the show to DVD.

                        Regarding this comment:

                        "Why don't the owners want to be identified? We could all write to them if we knew *WHO* they were!"

                        This is exactly why the owners do not want to be identified. Contrary to helping bring a release to DVD, bombarding the owners with requests can sometimes hinder the process. My wife and I only got in contact with them because we have proven ourselves to be patient and discrete, and have a track record of being trustworthy and professional in our SP research.

                        The bottom line is, don't worry. SP will be released on DVD. It's just a matter of time. I really can't make it any clearer than that.

                        <comments@...> wrote:

                        > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@...> wrote: I hope
                        they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
                        > you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after
                        40
                        > years.
                        > I meant that the rights owners think it's a viable, exploitable
                        property, which really is the key to getting it out on DVD. They
                        believe it will sell, which is a good thing for all of us, as we
                        don't have to convince them there is a market for it.

                        > Visit Your Group
                        > Yahoo! Search
                        > Find it faster
                        > with Yahoo!
                        > shortcuts.
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups
                        > Moderator Central
                        > Connecting a world
                        > of moderators.
                        >
                        > Real Food Group
                        > Share recipes
                        > and favorite meals
                        > w/ Real Food lovers.
                        >

                        > .

                      • everymothersson67
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                          That's great -- maybe in 2008 then? I'd buy your book and the DVD
                          set in a snap.

                          <comments@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > SP to DS -- DS has a HUGE cult following that goes way back to the
                          > 60s. We're the mouse and they're the elephant, and to my
                          knowledge,
                          > DS is the ONLY daytime serial to ever make it to DVD.
                          >
                          > Dom.
                          >
                          > --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Gruszka
                          > <comments@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > everymothersson67 <everymothersson67@> wrote: I hope
                          > they don't read this board then! Viable ... no offense, but
                          > > you've got to be kidding. Hardly anyone remembers the show after
                          > 40
                          > > years.
                          > > I meant that the rights owners think it's a viable, exploitable
                          > property, which really is the key to getting it out on DVD. They
                          > believe it will sell, which is a good thing for all of us, as we
                          > don't have to convince them there is a market for it.

                        • mark woda
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                            yet again i was at the warehouse in pittsburgh and as
                            of this past weekend all bar the tapes that have gone
                            missing are still there
                            this is great news since there is discussion about
                            putting the sshow on dvd
                            on a personal note i hade several e-mails and a few
                            phone calls from people on this bord to help in the
                            reunion of the tapes and owners
                            part of the deal was i would be supplied with copies
                            of the show
                            as of yet this has not happened
                            so i would take everything with a grain of salt as to
                            what they are saying
                            i do know that Jim Pearson who ws instramental in the
                            dark shadows dvds is also in contact with the owners
                            and very interested in SP but not untill DS is
                            finished in 2008
                            so we will wait and see

                            http://sims.yahoo.com/
                          • Bryan Gruszka

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 10, 2007
                                If you ever see any old Doctor Who (Classic series) tapes in storage it would be a good idea to look them over. Many episodes from the 60s & early 70s are missing or lost at the BBC archives. They would love to hear from you if come across any they don't have.
                                Docor Who fans & the BBC have been looking for years to recover missing material to bring back to the BBC archives.

                                Joe (SmokeyJoe)

                                Bryan Gruszka <comments@...> wrote: I've explained all I can about the DVD situation on these boards so there's no need to go into it again, but if anyone would like to discuss details of the entire situation you can feel free to email me off list. I don't think that there's a need to discuss this in a public forum.