Hatch's Mill was a Strange Place

  • quitoraxl
    Message 1 of 234 , Jan 19, 2002
      Cosette Lee, Sylvia Fiegel, Kurt Scheigl,
      Patricia Collins of SP were all on the show.<br>George
      9:00-10:00 p.m., 24 Oct-26 Dec 1967<br><br>At the same time
      it was building its reputation for adventurous,
      contemporary drama with Wojeck and Quentin Durgens, M.P., the
      CBC, under the guidance of executive producer Ronald
      Weyman, tried to extend its record of successes into
      period comedy with Hatch's Mill. Although this series of
      ten, one hour stories, filmed in colour (the first for
      CBC drama), built a solid audience, it took a
      critical pounding and did not return for a second
      southern Ontario settlers, in the l830s. Robert Christie,
      starred as Noah Hatch, the town magistrate, owner of the
      general store and the local mill, and the leader of the
      community, which was called Hatch's Mill. He and his wife,
      Maggie, played by Cosette Lee, and their children Saul
      and Silence, played by Marc Strange and Sylvia
      Feigel, lived on a homestead farm. Other regulars in the
      series, as inhabitants of the village, included Joyce
      Gordon, ruth Springford, John Paris, Cec Montgomery,
      Jonathan White, Joe Austin, and Kurt Scheigl. Individual
      episodes featured appearances by Douglas Campbell, Emile
      Genest, Peter Donat, Patricia Collins, Tony Van Bridge,
      generally revolved around comic conflicts that resolved
      themselves in a rough-and-tumble way. In the first show of
      the series, Saul tried to set up a stagecoach line.
      When he is contested by Donegan, played by guest star
      Chris Wiggins, they settle the dispute with a drawing
      match that set each man's team of horses against the
      other. In another episode, two doctors who had differing
      opinions on how to treat the ailing Maggie Hatch, fight a
      duel to settle their argument. Instead of soberly
      dealing with the real conflicts and adversities of the
      Upper Canadian settlers, the stories portrayed
      boisterous and rowdy people coming to grips with more
      George Salverson, and segments were written by Munroe
      Scott, Leslie MacFarlane, Donald Jack, as well as
      Salverson himself. Although the scripts and performances
      were criticized, Robert Lawson earned praise for
      authenticity and detail in set design. Hatch's Mill was shot
      at Studio City in Kleinburg, north of Toronto, using
      some of the structures originally built for The Forest
      Rangers, with some elements of set decoration from nearby
      Pioneer Village. Lorely Fritz designed the characters'
      costumes. Cinematography was by Norman G. Allin and Ernie
      Fitzpatrick. The series was produced by George McCowan, who
      directed every episode but one, which was directed by
      executive producer Weyman.
      Message 234 of 234 , Feb 1, 2011
        LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to re-watch that.