Re: SP Broadcast Tapes Update

  • Oldtime Radio
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      >I am not sure what it would take to get these tapes
      >transfered etc.

      It would take a facility with a working 2" machine,
      and the ability to take it to whatever format you want
      (DVD is not considered an archival format, BTW... it
      is highly encoded and lossy). If you were going to
      invest the money to have this done, you'd want to
      remaster it to a high end digital tape format first.

      Working 2" machines are rare these days because they
      are as big as a Volkswagen (well, almost), and it
      takes a good and extremely knowledgeable "retro"
      engineer to keep them working. That doesn't come
      cheap. Also, there is not much commercial demand for
      them, so that lowers the availability further.
      However, there are a few here and there still
      operational, mostly at facilities which specialize in
      the retrieval of "old" material. I know of one at a
      facility in Burbank (which I'd be happy to look up, if
      needed. I have no connection with them, tho.)

      (Some format Background: The 2" format --which is
      what these SP tapes are-- was replaced by the 1"
      format in the late '70s. 1" was subsequently
      replaced by Broadcast Beta and Beta SP in the 90s, and
      1" is now considered to be an antiquated format also.
      Beta SP is still being used as a delivery medium,
      although not so much for production anymore. .....
      So, you see, these 2" tapes are antiquated not merely
      by ONE technical "evolution", but by several).

      Also, along with finding a suitable facility, you'd
      have to pay their rates. :-)

      I don't know what the current rates for such transfers
      are, but I can tell you that it probably won't be
      within reach of the average individual to pay for
      having the whole collection transferred.

      I checked my files to see what such a dub would have
      cost *during the mid-80s* (when I was involved in 1"
      and 2") and the cost THEN for a 30 minute program was
      $50. You could probably expect double that now
      ($100), plus some extra on top of that for the fact
      that the format is now antiquated. I'd *guess*
      probably somewhere between $100 and $200 PER 30-minute
      show.

      Just to answer your question. :-) Bottom Line: It
      would NOT be a small undertaking.

      I just hope that somehow at least the tapes can be
      saved (though that in itself would be no small task
      due to the storage room and environmental conditions
      needed). Destroying such material (even though they
      are dubs) is so sad. I have heard of many instances
      in which fans literally raided dumpsters to save
      classic material like this when facilities are no
      longer willing to expend the money to store it.

      Best wishes,
      John
      OTRL2
      -
      -
      -

    • mark woda
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
        John
        Thanks for the update
        if anything could be done at the very least to save
        the tapes with the missing episode episode 171 on it
        that would be great even if as i stated there is no
        audio on it at that would be a start
        and as you said 2 inch players are few and far between
        witch is why i am sure this stuff is being sent out to
        wherever
        1 inch players are probably a bit easier to come by as
        it is a although also a outdated format a bit newer
        so if anyone knows of a facility that had either
        player it be interisting to see if nothing else the
        show is actualy on the tapes
        afterall this point could be moot if the tapes are
        blank and just have the strange paradise information
        on the box

        Never miss an email again!
      • Bryan Gruszka
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          Perhaps you should approach your emplyer and ask if they would be willing to let you have both the 2" and 1" copies of episode 171. After all, they are simply going to be destroyed...

          mark woda <fpcmarkw@...> wrote: John
          --- Oldtime Radio <otrl2@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > It
          > would NOT be a small undertaking.
          >

          > I just hope that somehow at least the tapes can be
          > saved (though that in itself would be no small task
          > due to the storage room and environmental conditions
          > needed). Destroying such material (even though
          > they
          > are dubs) is so sad. I have heard of many
          > instances
          > in which fans literally raided dumpsters to save
          > classic material like this when facilities are no
          > longer willing to expend the money to store it.
          >

          > Best wishes,
          > John
          > OTRL2
          > -
          > -
          > -

          > Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with
          > the added security of spyware protection.

        • Frederick Schrader
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
            I would never recommend anyone to do something illegal, but let me tell you a little story.
            There used to be a soap opera called Search For Tomorrow. It starred a former Hollywood starlet Mary Stuart. It lasted--what?--maybe 25-30 years between the radio broadcasts, then 15 min episodes in front of a black backdrop on tv, then finally half hour episodes in color some where along the line.
            I ran into Mary Stuart a few times at the theatre before she died.(This came as a surprise since both times she still looked ravishing).
            Mary was in the show from start to finish and, of course, she was the star. I was a young kid so I got to watch it and other soaps with my grandmother until I got older and lost interest until One Life to Live started with Vicky's first split personality incident and Kathy Craig (a good friend to this day) on OLTL's first location shoot in an abandoned tenemant threw her doctor father down the stairs in some kind of LSD flashback. I discovered Dark Shadows because it came on right after One Life to Live.

            Major digression, sorry. In any case, Mary Stuart told me that every since episode of Search for Tomorrow (remember again, at least thirty years ago) was destroyed to make room for executive's offices at NBC. They wouldn't let her have them because she had no rights to them, so a large piece of soap opera history is lost.
            I am sure there are a few dups out there disintegrating somewhere, but the whole show? I truly doubt it.

            In this case with SP, I don't know what the situation is or what cameras may or may not be watching (probably none, considering what seems to be the contents of this warehouse (?), but I would grab anything and everything you can, believe me, no one is going to give it to you yet no one is going to miss it either.

            Worry about transfers later. Get them out of there and in a safe place conducive to their health and preservation. We can argue about the tenor of what I am suggesting, and copyrights issues later. And by the way, I noticed someone posted something quite different than what I posted about copyright issues for SP. First of all I am not in Canada, secondly I am a retired attorney, thirdly copyright issues vary from medium to medium and finally, in this day and age, they are basically changing from day to day. And I am based in the States not Canada. The gist of all this is finally, that you can make copies of anything and give them to anybody as long as you dont charge any money for them (costs of media and shipping are allowed). This is different in the music business but not what we're dealing with. It is also quite legal to own bootlegs. Here are the only things you can get in trouble for:
            1) being caught audio or video recording a live performance or film and 2) making a profit thereof from number one.

            None of this really applies to us, but I wanted to reply in some way to the poster who made some comments a week or so regarding my own posting about copyright law.

            So folks, read between the lines, do what your conscience demands and act--or not--accordingly. I am quite happy myself with the crystal clear episodes I was given that have been shown recently on Canadian tv. However, what our one member has discovered at his workplace may very well be valuable to us in the future sometime (and again, when I say valuable I am not speaking monetarily). Unfortunately, we do not have the fan base, support or funds that the 'Dark Shadows people' have, so we are basically on our own and must fend for ourselves.

            That being said, this group has been fabulous with what has already been accomplished.
            Continuing dialogues on the show.
            Sharing links and information.
            Sharing episodes of the show that have not been made commercially available since Centaur went under.
            The wonderful slide shows.
            The fantastic summaries (our 'Concordance")
            and now it sounds as if someone is actually starting an SP Actor's Directory.
            I say Bravo to you all. I can only sit back, make comments and suggestions myself. I am not sure if any of you are aware since I only open my big mouth from time to time and then in these long rambling emails for which I apologize, but I am handicapped and ill and there is only so much I can do physically to help except make suggestions.
            I thank you all. You guys have been wonderful.
            Sincerely,
            Frederick Schrader

              --- Oldtime Radio <otrl2@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > It
              > would NOT be a small undertaking.
              >

              > I just hope that somehow at least the tapes can be
              > saved (though that in itself would be no small task
              > due to the storage room and environmental conditions
              > needed). Destroying such material (even though
              > they
              > are dubs) is so sad. I have heard of many
              > instances
              > in which fans literally raided dumpsters to save
              > classic material like this when facilities are no
              > longer willing to expend the money to store it.
              >

              > Best wishes,
              > John
              > OTRL2
              > -
              > -
              > -

              > Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with
              > the added security of spyware protection.

              Ron, the Dogfather & Bella, the Beagle -- Miss July 2007

              Bella's Dogster link: http://www.dogster.com/?430581

              DS Festival Photos: http://darkshadowsfests.shutterfly.com/
              Sleepytyme Beagles Calendar: http://my.calendars.net/ibarccalendar or: http://www.my.calendars.net/ibarccalendar

            • strangeparadiselibrary
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
                Hey there, Mark! Thanks again for keeping us all posted on the fate
                of these tapes. Of course, we'd all love to see the entire
                collection preserved, but at the very least I think we'd most like to
                see Episode 171 brought back from the land of the missing. I'd be
                willing to bet that many of the fine folks on this list would be
                happy to kick in some expense money to pay for that episode's
                conversion into an easily viewable format (assuming you have the
                ability to take the tape off-premises). Of course, I'm not
                advocating the sale of any converted material, but we could
                distribute it for free among the members of this group. The only
                problem would be finding a facility which could do the transfer for
                you, but I'm sure some reputable place is still working with 1"
                tape. If it will help at all in re-claiming the "lost" episode,
                count me in for a donation towards its preservation. If anybody else
                has any ideas where to find a facility that does transfers from 1"
                tape, please speak up. Let's work together to make this thing
                happen. - Curt

                --- In strangeparadise2@yahoogroups.com, mark woda <fpcmarkw@...>

                ______________

                ______________
                > Never miss an email again!

              • Terry Hoknes
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
                  http://www.videointerchange.com/price_list.htm

                  From 2 inch Quadruplex (Owing to this media's age, Tape Baking is usually required)
                  Note: Both our Quad Machines are currently down for repairs

                  Length/Tape - per reel
                  Price

                  Spot or 10 min reel (First Tape always)

                  165.00