Novel Summaries: Part 2

    Message 1 of 234 , Dec 19, 2001
      Strange Paradise #2: Island of Evil by Dorothy
      Daniels - April 1970<br><br>Barry Bradley Barnes has come
      to the Carribean after deserting the Army. He had
      been stationed in Germany, but had allowed some of the
      men stationed with him to talk him into going to
      Sweden to avoid service in Vietnam. Now he is unsure
      what to do. Did he leave because he was a coward, or
      because he had allowed himself to be persuaded to do so.
      His father arrives at Barry's invitation to help him
      decide what to do. His father, Bradley Barnes, a rich
      industrialist, lost his arm in the second World War. He calls
      his son a coward and sends two of his men, Max Vogel
      and Armand Benet to force him back to the states to
      give himself up. Barry manages to escape the two men
      and meets pretty Kathy Larkin, a Sociology Major on
      vacation. When Jacques, in Jean Paul's body, invites Kathy
      to Maljardin, Barry stows away on the boat to escape
      his father's henchmen.<br><br>Jacques returns to the
      mainland to bring Vogel and Benet to Maljardin to get
      Barry. Raxl uses her voodoo powers to make a storm arise
      that prevents Jacques from reaching Maljardin. Later,
      Jacques makes Raxl relive the past in her dream. She sees
      how Jacques killed Quito, her husband, after he
      assaulted Jacques for whipping his servant Raxl. Later
      Jacques had Quito ressurected as a zombie. When she
      awakens, Jacques tells her that she will relive this
      horrible night from 300 years ago every evening in her
      dreams unless she helps him. She must get Barry to leave
      Maljardin so that he can have Kathy all for
      himself.<br><br>Raxl takes Kathy to a voodoo ceremony where she uses
      her magic to convince Kathy that she does not love
      Barry. The next day, she tells Barry that she despises
      him because he is a coward. As Barry is preparing to
      leave, a terrible storm arises. Barry shows his bravery
      in protecting Kathy. Jean Paul opens Jacques casket
      and drives the pin partially into the Jacques conjure
      doll. He tells Jacques that he will finish the deed
      unless he allows Barry and Kathy to leave peacefully.
      Jacques admits defeat and the two young lovers leave the
      island. Barry realizes he is not a coward and plans to
      turn himself in to the authorities for
      desertion.<br><br>TV characters shown: Jean Paul Desmond / Jacques
      Eloi des Mondes, Alison Carr, Raxl, Quito. TV
      characters mentioned: Dan Forrest, Dr. Kurt
      Menkin.<br><br>This book gives a little history of Raxl and Quito.
      They were originally the servants of Jacques' Incan
      Princess bride. She brought them to Maljardin with her
      when she married Jacques. She has lived 300 years
      because of a vow to insure that Jacques' evil influence
      would never touch future generations of the family. She
      only tolerates his reappearance in the 20th Century in
      the hope that he can restore Erica to
      life.<br><br>Published by Paperback Library, a division of Coronet
      Communications, Inc. Cover price: 60 cents.<br><br>Front cover
      photograph: Jean Paul holding Jacques' conjure doll in the
      crypt. Back cover: Quito.
      Message 234 of 234 , Feb 1, 2011
        LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to re-watch that.