I need a razor

  • Francisco
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi! I just joined this group because I've been feeling attracted to straight razors lately and I would like to buy one. Due to high prices I'm thinking of buying it on ebay. Since I don't know much about razors could anyone tell me which razor would be worth spending my money on?

      Thanks
      Francisco Garcia
    • recentjester@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        The odds of u buying one and shaving with it immediately is just luck.
        Learning how to shave with one and keeping one sharp are the two main things.
        My suggestion is to buy one that uses disposible blades at a beauty supply
        house would be a good start to learn technique and watch people on u tube
        shave.

        In a message dated 12/1/2010 2:20:05 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        franciscoghrz88@... writes:

        Hi! I just joined this group because I've been feeling attracted to
        straight razors lately and I would like to buy one. Due to high prices I'm
        thinking of buying it on ebay. Since I don't know much about razors could anyone
        tell me which razor would be worth spending my money on?

        Thanks
        Francisco Garcia

      • Wolfger
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Ebay you'll see a lot of Zeepak (?) razors. They appear to be a great
          deal and I very nearly wasted my money on one of their kits before doing my
          research on the net and learning they are crap.

          I wound up going with Amazon and getting a Dovo "Best Quality" razor for
          about $75, and I'm quite happy with it. If you go to the SRP website, you
          should find a good FAQ or two to assist you (which brands to avoid, which
          brands are considered good).

          --
          Wolfger
          http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

          The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.

        • jeffegg2
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            I would suggest staying away from ebay for now. The down and dirty cheapest places would be either: http://www.whippeddog.com/ or the used forum at straightrazorplace.com

            Good luck
            Jeff.

            --- In straightrazorplace@yahoogroups.com, "Francisco" <franciscoghrz88@...> wrote:

            > Hi! I just joined this group because I've been feeling attracted to straight razors lately and I would like to buy one. Due to high prices I'm thinking of buying it on ebay. Since I don't know much about razors could anyone tell me which razor would be worth spending my money on?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Francisco Garcia

          • johntopdog
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
              Some things to look out for if you go to Ebay. If the seller is a reputable person and a Straight razor expert they may include the phrase "Shave Ready" and mentioned that they have sharpened the blade. So a used but in excellent condition razor may be a way to start. Some of the guys here have in the past been a good source for such a razor.

              Razors that are new from 3rd world countries will usually disappoint as the steel is not of the quality needed to shave.

              Old razors can be a good choice but sharpening them is the challenge.
              Pitted edges may not be able to be sharpened. Also if the blade was ground or cleaned with a Dremel type tool and gotten hot the temper of the blade may change so it won't hold an edge.

              Go your research as to what's good brands and what you'll need to do the job such as the wet shaving items brush and soaps. Get a good strop and learn to use it correctly.

              There is a learning curve but if you invest in knowledge before leaping you can save on some big errors.
              --- In straightrazorplace@yahoogroups.com, "Francisco" <franciscoghrz88@...> wrote:

              > Hi! I just joined this group because I've been feeling attracted to straight razors lately and I would like to buy one. Due to high prices I'm thinking of buying it on ebay. Since I don't know much about razors could anyone tell me which razor would be worth spending my money on?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Francisco Garcia

            • Francisco
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
                Thank You very much for the information. I really apreciate that you took the time to educate me on this subject.