shaving soap prefferences

  • Jpet_19
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
      I make my own soap. I don't like all the extra chemicals and preservatives in store bought soaps especially SLS. Anyway, I'm slowly piecing together my straight razor setup and am planning on making some soap next weekend. I'm curious as to what qualities take priority for you in shaving soap. This will help me design a recipe. I think I might make a very slick soap to facilitate a smooth shave and moisturized skin. But the more slick the less lather. How important is lather to you in your shaving soap. How important is fragrance to you?
    • bluribuschi@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
        Very... I like the scent to linger like aftershave or cologne
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
          On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Jpet_19 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > I make my own soap. I don't like all the extra chemicals and preservatives in store bought soaps especially SLS. Anyway, I'm slowly piecing together my straight razor setup and am planning on making some soap next weekend. I'm curious as to what qualities take priority for you in shaving soap. This will help me design a recipe. I think I might make a very slick soap to facilitate a smooth shave and moisturized skin. But the more slick the less lather. How important is lather to you in your shaving soap. How important is fragrance to you?

          My wife is sensitive to smells and most fragrances set off her
          allergies. But I'm safe with vanilla and almond. I personally like a
          slick and thick lather that lasts a long time. I can get those
          qualities from Kiss My Face Moisture Shave products. Check out the
          list of ingredients on their products to see if it will help you fine
          tune your recipe. Of their current offerings, I like Vanilla Earth
          (goes well with my almond aftershave - almond oil & rubbing alcohol),
          Key Lime, and Fragrance Free (due to the natural ingredients, the
          fragrance free still has a nice smell) Another thing about the Kiss
          My Face products I like is that the fragrance isn't strong and you are
          not bothering the folks around you. Unlike today's teens with their
          Axe, Tag, or similar body spray that you can smell 10 minutes before
          they come in the room. :-(

          Also check out this group's files section on yahoo. Links to the
          group web page are usually at the bottom of our emails. There is a
          word doc and a pdf going over shaving soap qualities with some tips
          for making the soaps.

          --
          -Clyde
          -- docwatsn@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
            I'm excited to test the soap for you if necessary.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2010
              I may take you up on that. I also noticed your email address. I have about 12 bottles of my first brew left so its about time to make a new batch of beer too. My house will have all kinds of suds.