Re: [Straight Razor Place] Beginner Needs Help

  • Michael D. Tryon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      Thanks.
      My razor company says that, if the buyer thinks the razor is not honed right, the buyer is wrong 99 per cent of the time. I guess that's a bunch of bull.

      I am going to try more lather, better face prep and more stropping today.

      I figure about two weeks should give me an idea as to where I am on the learning curve.

      Michael D. Tryon
      New York, USA

    • Pat DiFelice
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        Hello Michael,
        I'm sure it was mentioned before, you may want to consider sending the razor to one of the members to see how you stand on how keen the razor is. You have nothing to loss and a lot to gain. This way here you can feel what a keen razor feels like so you have a guide line. I mention this because I've been at this since the beginning of last year and I happened to come across a razor that Lynn was selling that I wanted and I killed to birds with one stone. First I got a razor I wanted and second it came honed and I had my guide line and knew where I stood on my honing level. If I did this at the beginning of my learning curve I would of saved myself months of time. I hope this helps, and Happy New Year.
        Regards,
        Pat

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
          <<My razor company says that, if the buyer thinks the razor is not honed right,
          the buyer is wrong 99 per cent of the time. I guess that's a bunch of bull.>>

          Michael,
          You need to find a different razor company <g>.

          I am surprised at how some shops advertise their razors. I hve found quite a few knife/razor/gadget emporiums out there claiming their razors come direct from the factory ready to use and no work is required from the buyer for the first few shaves. I am sure plenty of buyers get turned of from the whole process as the believe what they were told must be true and what they have is as good as it gets.

          I presharpen every razor I get before it goes to a customer and I still worry it may not be sharp enough. Ray at Classic Shaving makes it clear too that most are not ready for use and offers a sharpening service for his buyers.
          We have a chain of knife stores at the malls here in Baltimore and tey will tell you that all you need is the plain leather strop and the razor is ready to go. Other than ther Col.Conk paddle stone they offer nothing to maintain a razor after it is bought.

          This is the time of year many beginners find sadly that the purchase they were so excited about will not shave and then have no where to turn. At least here, with this group we can get them on track and to a point where they can enjoy straight razor shaving.

          Tony Miller
          www.thewellshavedgentleman.com

          From: "Michael D. Tryon" <mdtryon2000@...>

        • kg8da@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
            Hi Michael,

            Welcome to straight razor shaving. That should be a GOOD razor
            you have there! I purchased one for my son, for Christmas (Col. Conk 5/8"
            round tip). He's been shaving with a straight for about two years now.
            He's thrilled with this razor. It's basically a Dovo.
            You'll get great advice here. Let me throw in another tip. Hunt
            done the shaving video they have on this site and pay special attention
            to how Lynn holds his razor. How you hold the razor makes a great
            difference in your shave. I taught myself to shave with a straight, a
            year before I found this group. I was getting along pretty well. But when
            I saw that video I discovered that I wasn't holding my razor correctly.
            Soon as I changed positions my shaves became a lot easier.
            Stick around and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no
            dumb questions, only those we fear to ask.

            George
            Tahlequah, OK